Competition and Pricing: How Starlink Could Change the Internet Industry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

decaturbob

the impact on the RV world will be tremendous once the system is all set up and in place.  This will allow us unfettered internet access basically any where we go

https://broadbandnow.com/report/starlink-competition-and-pricing/

It sounds promising, but it has a way to go.  I currently full-time, and my wife and I use either campground wifi or the hot spots on our phones.  Neither is an ideal solution.  If Starlink lives up to the hype, it could transform the industry, but I'm interested in what the proposed speed, latency, and cost will be.  I'll be waiting and hoping that SpaceX can do it!

I'm really hoping I live long enough to see Starlink reach its full potential. Worldwide ready Internet access at a reasonable price will be a huge boost to the under served outlying areas. Personally, I would love to be a part of any mobile testing for RV/truck/boat use. Price wise, it'll probably be hard to beat my current ~$50/month combined unlimited LTE data on the two largest cell carriers in the US, but I can hope...

The latency issue (time it takes the signal to reach Earth) should be much better than say Hughes Link, as Starlink satellites are in "low earth orbit" (LEO) about 200 miles above the earth, opposed to Hughes' 22,000 miles above earth. 

Musk is currently working on ways to reduce the glare on the satellites by coating them with a non reflective coating. Time will tell how effective it is.  I am interested in the new technology, as I believe competition is always better for the consumer.

Thanks for mentioning that about the coating, as I wrote my whine, I thought, heck they make them all flat blaCK, THEY MAY STAY INVISIBLE!  I hadn't hear they were doing something.  Good to know.

I reviewed the article and noted the use of zip codes as a location reference.  Billing and authorization will need to be compatible with mobile users.  Zip codes may imply the user?s location and site of service.  I?m interested in seeing how this aspect of the service works out.  DISH requires a location (address and zip) to get local channels.  I have to update every time we relocate from a given area. Im all for increased competition and really interested in seeing this service become a reality. 

I read where Musk was touting mobile applications as one of the selling points. Unlike tv satellite, this a bunch of fast moving satellites all communicating with each other as well as the ground link (you) and they?re continually passing the down link to each other.
We are very hopeful this works out as we both work full time and need a fair amount of bandwidth that doesn?t get throttled.

Doc Roads said:
I reviewed the article and noted the use of zip codes as a location reference.  Billing and authorization will need to be compatible with mobile users.  Zip codes may imply the user?s location and site of service.  I?m interested in seeing how this aspect of the service works out.  DISH requires a location (address and zip) to get local channels.  I have to update every time we relocate from a given area. Im all for increased competition and really interested in seeing this service become a reality. 

It seems currently, the only use of the ZIP code is for determining location for the upcoming public beta testing using the limited satellites  currently only capable of providing service to the Northern US and Canada.

decaturbob said:
the impact on the RV world will be tremendous once the system is all set up and in place.  This will allow us unfettered internet access basically any where we go

https://broadbandnow.com/report/starlink-competition-and-pricing/

Another Elon Musk's brain child! PayPal, Rocket Man, Mr. Tesla.

This guy is the Thomas Edison of our Day.

One of the World's most Brilliant minds ever, Truly a Great Thinker!

He is a Visionary Leader!

I am thinking of how to Get Rich off COVID-19....Something New that somebody needs, I am sure. 

Just can't put my thumb on it and I am too dumb too.  ;D

JD

Just Waiting for the Sun to Rise.  BSN...Reminds me of Here, LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fulz4ytZ54&list=RD-Fulz4ytZ54&start_radio=1

Larry N. said:
Edison was an actual inventor, while Musk hires people to do what he envisions, visionary, not inventor -- a big difference.

Good point. Doesn't hurt either to be have ungodly wealth at your disposal.

Back
Top Bottom