Compressor PSI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IslandGuy

Not sure where to post this....in reading through the documentation of my new to me 09 Tour I see there is access to compressed air. How many PSI can I expect to see and is it enough to air up your tires?

Thanks!

I would imagine that it would come with an owner's manual that would tell you how to work it and how to set the pressure, etc. I would look for that.

The pressure you get is what is maintained in the chassis air system by the compressor. It is nominally 125 psi, but actually floats between about 90 and 125. The low figure varies a bit in different years and chassis, but is typically 90-95. Basically the compressor turns on when the low limit is reached and runs it back up to 125, then shuts off.

125 is plenty for your tires but 90-95 probably is not. If your tires need 105, for example, and you have to add more than a little, chances are the pressure will drop too low to be useful. What you do is stop filling the tire and bleed air from the system until it hits the low point and the compressor comes on again. Once it hits 125, you can start pumping again. You bleed air either by pumping the air brake pedal or opening a valve in your air hose (some air chucks have these built-in).

If you only need 80 psi or so (e.g. the rear tires), you have plenty.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The pressure you get is what is maintained in the chassis air system by the compressor. It is nominally 125 psi, but actually floats between about 90 and 125. The low figure varies a bit in different years and chassis, but is typically 90-95. Basically the compressor turns on when the low limit is reached and runs it back up to 125, then shuts off.

125 is plenty for your tires but 90-95 probably is not. If your tires need 105, for example, and you have to add more than a little, chances are the pressure will drop too low to be useful. What you do is stop filling the tire and bleed air from the system until it hits the low point and the compressor comes on again. Once it hits 125, you can start pumping again. You bleed air either by pumping the air brake pedal or opening a valve in your air hose (some air chucks have these built-in).

If you only need 80 psi or so (e.g. the rear tires), you have plenty.

Thanks Gary  :)

Air on our Monaco is nominally regulated at 120psi, and airs up the tires just fine.

Not a bunch different from a good shop compressor,  when filling up a tire that needs over 100 pounds it will take a while unless you trigger the compressor by opening up the fill chuck (squeezing the trigger or whatever. )

Hey Island Guy/ Mutiny Guy
What happened to your Suncruiser, Gave up on your slide problems? or did you have other problems also?

ABOBE250 said:
Hey Island Guy/ Mutiny Guy
What happened to your Suncruiser, Gave up on your slide problems? or did you have other problems also?

We are trading in the Adventurer for the DP...no I never had any more problems with the slide...has worked fine. We just wanted a coach with a washer/dryer, larger gray tank and the ability to store our recumbent trikes in the cargo area....other than that the Adventurer was a fine coach...will be a good buy for someone. Has 640w of solar and (4) 1.5 yr old AGM batteries.

John Canfield said:
Not a bunch different from a good shop compressor,  when filling up a tire that needs over 100 pounds it will take a while unless you trigger the compressor by opening up the fill chuck (squeezing the trigger or whatever. )

I guess I'll just carry my Porter Cable compressor...it should work just fine without the hassles with the onboard compressor!

I was able to get 108 psi into my front tires just a couple of days ago with the onboard engine driven compressor. What I particularly like about that compressor vs a standard one is that it seems to deliver a higher volume more rapidly. Also it's simple to hook up and use. I do have a very nice Viair 12v RV compressor that is probably better (higher pressure for sure), but it's a bit more of a hassle to get out and use. However when it's difficult or inconvenient to start the engine, it's a champ.

IslandGuy said:
I guess I'll just carry my Porter Cable compressor...it should work just fine without the hassles with the onboard compressor!
Onboard air works fine but once I need air over say 100 psi, I'll fill a while, pull the Milton air chuck off and trigger it until the compressor is running again and cuts off (around 120-130 psi.)  It's really not a hassle and the big tires rarely need to be topped off.

I find that 95-100 psi is about the practical limit with the onboard air. Futzing around, bleeding air to trigger the compressor, is more hassle than I'm prepared to deal with. Besides, if your tires need air regularly, the best action is to get the tire leaks fixed, not a daily or weekly top-up. Good tires properly mounted on clean wheels, with decent valves, should not need air more than a couple times per year.

Back
Top Bottom