Computer Tuning: Edge (brand) Computer programer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EFBell351

Maybe I put this in the wrong place in the towing section. Anyway, maybe someone can help with this.

Ok, so I have a 2007 level 2 Ranger with class 3 tow package, a 2004 V6 bone stock XL Escape, and a 2008 Explorer 4.0 with class 3/4 towing pack. I just purchased a microlight travel trailer the I intend to pull with the Explorer and occasionally with the ranger (maybe). My question is will the Edge tuner be of any real value for the towing? will it also aid in other areas? Economy with the Escape?, towing with the explorer? top end limit on the Ranger? Really what I want to know is it worth the money? As I understand it I can code read and reprogram all 3 vehicles with it.

Help.... Is there a better choice out there maybe??

Thanks, Ed B.

In general, quantifiable results are best obtained by a professional tuner (a person not a program), after intake and exhaust have been opened up (at a minimum).  I have experience with a couple of different brands of pre-packaged tuning programs and they simply have not lived up to the claims of the manufacturers.  That said, if the goal is to change tire sizes or gear ratios and maintain accurate speedometer readings, or to change shift points on electronically controlled transmissions, or change thermostat settings, the pre-programmed devices work just fine.

To actually improve fuel economy (or performance) usually you need to add an O2 sniffer and have an experienced tuner (person) calibrate incremental changes in computerized timing and fuel pressure.  The process can be relatively expensive but if the vehicle is new and you plan on keeping it for for a decade or more you might receive a quantifiable return on investment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom