Confused as to what my Good Sam Card gets me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chip D

So when I purchased my LT Serenity last year, I felt it was important to purchase some kind of Road Side Assistance.  Already had AAA but didn't think they would want to see a 24' RV along the side of the road when they were just expecting a Chevy Avalanche.  I bought the Good Sam Road Side assistance, and "assumed" that it also included access to those RV parks that advertise the Good Sam rate. 

I guess I was wrong.  I pulled into an RV park this spring and they asked me what I had for memberships, and I pulled out my card and they said, "that's just Roadside Assistance and not the Good Sam club".  Fortunately they were very nice, and when I pulled out my AAA - even though I had no Avalanche - they gave me the rate.

So I am wondering which of the many many offers I get from Good Sam, is the one that gets me a discount at RV parks?  And is there a combination?  I am so confused!!!
Thanks in advance.

Chip D

With my mh, they gave me a free sign up for GS, Road Side Assist,  and Travel Assistance.
It seems like every few days I get another GS card in the mail.  One card for each thing.....  I'll need a bigger wallet.
It just shows idiocy to me that they would rather spend the money to make and mail separately three or more different cards, when one would do just fine.

AAA does have an RV plan, but I cannot comment on it since I have no idea about it beyond taht it exists.....

Also, your AAA card is good no matter what you are driving, a rental car or whatever.....  I just think they need more $$$ to cover towing and such for a larger RV

GoodSam has several "Divisions" roadside assistance, Emergency repair, and "Membership"

Membership gets you a discount at Camping World and at selected RV parks and a few other discounts, NOT free, but discounted.

Roadside assistance gets you a tow truck

Wish I had Emergency Repair

Good Sam operates a lot of services, a sort of Chinese menu of RV assists you can buy (or not). I doubt if very many people would want all of them and I'm not aware of any package deal that includes them all.

The menu includes:
Campground discounts, Camping World store discount, & regional clubs/rallies (the actual Good Sam Club)
Roadside assistance service
Vehicle liability and collision insurance
RV Repair insurance (extended service plan)
Personal Medical emergency assistance (medical evacuation, etc.)
RV purchase loans
Credit card
Fuel discount program at Pilot/FJ

They are all explained on the Good Sam website.

In short Road side assistance isnt Good Sams Club Membership separate deal

Wow!!! A plethora of products.  I already had a quote on the "extended warranty" and chose to not go that route.  Guess I'll look into the Good Sam RV membership.
Thanks all.
Chip D.

Good Sam Club Card gets you lots and lots and lots of mail  :mad: plus 10% discount at participating RV parks.

Did I mention lots of mail?  :D

Years ago we requested that Good Sam remove us from their mailing list and since then, we receive zero mail from them.  One year they even forgot to send us a renewal notice :)

Ned has been far more successful at getting GS to remove him from their mailing list than I have. We had to move to different cities twice to get removed the first time, but they eventually found us and the junk mail started again. Then it took a series of phone calls, requesting removal for me, my wife, us (Mr & Mrs), etc. Each time I called, I'd get this "oh, you didn't say that you wanted both of you removed, separately or together". Be sure to include all pets' names in your removal request  :eek:

Even though we are once again GS members, we no longer get much mail from them and haven't done much of anything to discourage it. Maybe they just love you, Tom!

Nowt to do with me. GS is the ultimate spam/junk mail generator! Reported by numerous forum memers.

Using my online Good Sam account, I was able to selectively enable/disable which mailings I wanted to receive. It actually works quite well. Good Sam President/CEO Marcus Lemonis has also said he is reducing the amount of mail being sent to members, but since I receive very little of it anyway, I can't say if the reduction has begun yet.

I guess I was wrong.

Sadly,  yes.  The "original" Good Sam Club was the one we had/have for campground discounts.  Until a year or so ago, the President's Club for Camping World was separate but it now has been merged with Good Sam Club.  As Gary outlined, all the others are different products with the Good Sam Roadside Assistance being more similar to your AAA.  Personally, I like the AAA maps so much that the minimal membership might be worth it if you already have it for other cars.  We RVers tend to like either Coach Net or Good Sam Roadside Assistance for our large vehicles.  You were correct that other roadside assistance programs don't always understand what's involved with towing a large motorhome or fifth wheel.  We get some mail from Good Sam but nothing like the amounts in the past.  The new CEO is very aware that this has been a major annoyance to their customers and has a stated goal of reducing the quantity.

ArdraF

You have absolutely no need for a Good Sam "discount" card.  Your AAA card gets you the same 10% discount at pretty much all commercial camp grounds. Plus, you get discounts to a lot of attractions. Get used to asking "Do you have a AAA discount?". I think Good Sam is a very poor deal on any of their offers. Their plan is to hook unknowing Newbies, then hound them forever.

markandkim said:
Does AAA have a national roadside assistance network?

They do but.... AAA chapters are controlled separately in each state. There have been quite a few reports that the Road Assistance service can be spotty in some areas. For an RV you need the service specifically for RV's (more costly). On the other hand, CoachNet can supply a similar service, will cover ALL your vehicles and drivers for a fair price, and can provide some technical assistance where needed. Reports are very good on their service. I believe, but I may be incorrect, that each driver has to be a member with AAA which,  naturally, doubles the membership cost. The exception for CoachNet may be for Cali residents, where it has been reported, that they no longer offer the service

Come to think of it, it's been a while since we received the dreaded junk mail from GS  ???

AAA doesn't always offer RV coverage. I can't get it based on my home address, but my sister in an adjoining county can. Coach Net for me.

I became a Lifetime member of GS last year only because of their deal with Pilot/FlyingJ. Note we had already been member for over 20 years usually renewing when they had a deal on a 3 year membership. GS also gave me a good credit off the lifetime cost based on my years as a member. Lifetime Membership added 2 cents to the fuel discount with the Pilot/FJ Credit card. Before becoming a Lifetime Member my discount was 6 cents as a "deluxe member" (I think that was for a 3 year membership)
My rig is 62+ feet with the Jeep so I almost always use Truckstops even though they typically are more expensive than the local Gas Station for diesel.
With the GoodSam-Pilot/FlyingJ RV Plus credit card I get the cash price (that 6 cents off credit price) and an additional 8 cents off. ( the discount amount varies with the type of GoodSam membership). 
I compared prices of Pilot/FJ to other Truckstops and usually they are the same or maybe one cent more. The Pilot/FJ deal usually make the price close to (or better than) the best deal at a local gas station - where I wouldn't go anyway.

This works for me, but not for folks whose rigs allow them to comfortably get into local gas stations.

Note:
The "old" fuel discount loyalty card (not the CC) program will be ending at the end of this year per Pilot/FJ This wasn't an exclusive program with GS, but was something you could sign up for at FJ. In the future the only fuel discount will be with the GS/PilotFJ CC.

In Addition, as Ardra pointed out,  a few years ago GS and Camping World started to include the President's Club CW discounts with the GS Membership - it used to be a separate annual charge.

Btw, I also get no mail from GS.

I actually think GS has gotten a little better under the current CEO of Affinity Group LLC, Marcus Lemonis.

Wow, I did not realize GS junk mail was such a problem, I've just been throwing away what I do not want. I have been a member for 30 plus years, just one tow paid for most of my dues. Works for me!

Back
Top Bottom