Considering a New Denali 298RK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pricejh

After three years, 5 two week vacations and three 6 month plus assignments, we have decided that our little Onyx 25RB is a little on the small size, now.  Good little rig for one for long term living and too tight for two and a dog for more than two weeks at a time.

Si, we are seriously considering a new Denali 289RK.  The big slide in the living/kitchen area gives lots of spave and light and the wardrobe slide in the badroom gives great storage. 

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas/concerns with the line or the model? 

Denalli is a Dutchmen Line which is owned by Thor a lot of "Dutchmen" products are made by Keystone also owned by Thor Industries i have a Voltage which falls into that same catagory and ive had no major issues - a water pump and a microwave but they are made by Thor they are outsourced products like everything else. So long at your happy that's all that matters. 

One word of caution:

Based on 2015 Ram specs, the truck has a payload of 1460#.  (assuming properly equipped)
Based on Dutchman specs, this 5er has a GVWR  of 9700#.    Assuming 12.5% pin wt (from Dutchman spec for dry wt), the loaded pin wt will be around 1200#.  A more acceptable pin wt of 15% is  1450#.

After you add truck passenger and cargo weights and a hitch, you will probably be at or above your truck weight limits.

This is a very light 5er, but even then........
CAN the truck pull and control this load?  Probably. 
Can it meet weight limits?  Check - probably not. 
Will this setup create white knuckle moments?  Almost guaranteed.

This is a TT, not a 5er.  Gross wt is in the 9200# range and hitch wt is around 900#.  My 1500 is rated at 9900# and 1450 hitch.  With the Hensley I don't see a major problem.  I also know that we never, ever travel at Gross.  Max water is about 10 gal, max food is around 200#, clothing/misc around 125#.  This is from some 690 days pn the road over the past 3 years.  Yep, furl condumption will go up.  Yep, accelleration will inhsle with great vigor.  But, we will not be climbing to the top of the Rockies.  Mostly from Knoxville to the Gulf, with an occasional trip to San Antonio. 

Be aware if you're  going by the advertised hitch weight it won't jive with the real world.  Your hitch weight should be between 10 to 15% of the loaded trailer weight. Load your Ram like you would load it to go camping including passengers. Drive to a scale and weigh it. Subtract that weight from your Ram's GVWR. The difference will be what is available to use as hitch weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom