Considering an outdoor kitchen - do you use yours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristineB

Hi All!  I'm new here and am looking to upgrade from out current Coleman Utah pop up to a 29-34 foot travel trailer. One thing we love about our Utah is cooking outside; I very rarely use the stove inside.
So, I'm wondering, how many of you who have the outdoor kitchen use it on a regular basis?  Is it worth the extra length?

I personally like the looks of 'em but I've adapted my outdoor cooking routine so well to using a campfire and a BBQ that I'm afraid I wouldn't get much use out of it.  Although....it would be nice not to heat up the inside of the rig when cooking side dishes that are gonna get served outside.

Make sure that the unit you're looking at suits your needs in every way before you buy it.  The designers are famous for not even being able to spell RV let alone use what they design.  Stupid little things like "false fronts" on overhead cabinets are testimony to the ignorance of some of the design teams.

Love my O/D kitchen, coleman stove, BBQ pits and electric griddle. Cheap and fits well within 34'.
J

I just bought a new Palomino 30' TT with an outdoor kitchen.  I absolutely love it.  Nice to have a second fridge....no need to go inside when I want a cold beer.  I use the stove for both cooking and whipping up a batch of hummingbird food with no worries of spilling sugar water inside and being forever infested with ants.  And the sink is nice to wash up outside too.

The outside kitchen sealed the deal on our unit.  It was another $2500 over a different unit we were looking at, but I was sold from the minute I saw it.

Attachments

• kitchen2.jpg
    kitchen2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 101
I really can't say that I've tried a outdoor kitchen before... But I'm all setup so I can cook on a Coleman stove outside so not to heat up the inside of the RV. Most of the time when we go out with the RV its boondocking in the woods. So camp fire cooking, BBQ grill or Coleman stove on the bench. When we are heading for Boise, ID for shopping reasons we typically eat out. Right now we are hold with all camping / RV plans because of all the forest fire problems and the heat (95*F to 105*F here in Idaho!)

This reminds me of something my dear old Pappy commented on....he didn't understand people at all, they moved the outhouse inside and the kitchen outside.

That's a neat outdoor kitchen! Do you have another photo, zoomed out a bit, so we can see the kitchen in relation to the rest of the RV? TIA.

Personally I think the outdoor kitchen is a good idea, as I don't like to cook in the rv. I have a mini outside kitchen on my Outback fiver with 2 burner stove and small sink. I use the stove all of the time.
I will say though that the stove that came on mine is a piece of junk. It isn't large enough to accommodate two pans at once. If you do use both burners at the same time, the stove assembly gets so hot that the gas valves get super hot and then won't turn off due to heat expansion.
I guess my advice would be to make sure that you look at the appliances real well before you spend additional $ for the outside kitchen. One other thing is that the outside fridges only run on 115v, so they want run while boondocking or on the road.

I have one of those in my trailer plans. I'll use a kitchen sink faucet with a pull out head, and put a longer hose on it so it can double as an outdoor shower. Handy to fill a bucket or wash a filthy dog outside.

Tom said:
That's a neat outdoor kitchen! Do you have another photo, zoomed out a bit, so we can see the kitchen in relation to the rest of the RV? TIA.

Here ya go Tom.....

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3544/palomino1.jpg

And zoomed in on just the kitchen.....

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8642/outdoorkitchen.jpg

Thanks for the links to the photos, much appreciated.

We had really wanted the outdoor kitchen because we were used to cooking outside (33 years tenting & pop-up). However, when it came down to making the decision, we opted for a used trailer with much more storage. Plus the new trailer with outdoor kitchen and power levelers cost $10,000 more! We had just purchased a tall mini-fridge this summer, so add the $100 for that. This trailer comes with an outside drop-down stove and a mini-sink with flexible faucet and curly host with quick adapter. So we did get a modified outdoor kitchen.

We haven't been able to use the kitchen though because the trailer is up on 2 boards on that side and I can't reach the outdoor kitchen. Maybe next year we can level the ground more; or maybe build a removable deck.  Plus we're using a table in front of the kitchen to hold the mini-fridge. I need it close to the door so I can put stuff on it that I'm carrying in or out. Can't seem to get in or out with my hands full!

R. J. Barton said:
I really like the idea of an outdoor kitchen. I'd like the sink and fridge and the wife would enjoy being able to cook breakfast outdoors.  :D

I love mine....just remember not to keep any leftovers in the outside fridge.....lest you find an ursine guest in the middle of the night.  ;D

Everywhere I go is in bear country....only thing that stays outside after dark is sodas and beer.

Thanks for all your comments!  I really appreciate hearing your views. I am pretty sure I would use an outdoor kitchen, but just want to get the feedback from others who have them!!
Thanks again!

Frizlefrak said:
I love mine....just remember not to keep any leftovers in the outside fridge.....lest you find an ursine guest in the middle of the night.  ;D

Everywhere I go is in bear country....only thing that stays outside after dark is sodas and beer.

I bet finding a drunk bear passed out in front of the door is a hoot! ;D

Where I'm supposed to live in Wyoming there have been Griz that have developed a taste for beer. Pop on the other hand is a definite no-no to leave outside. It's too bad for the bears, the forest service considers a fed bear is a dead bear in our parts. Because we can't hunt them they have NO fear of humans. I no longer hunt or fish in a lot of areas of the Shoshone Forest anymore. It's a shame really.

We purchased our 2013 Passport 3220BH in May and Love our outdoor kitchen.  It is nothing fancy but I love cooking outside especially bacon:)  We do a lot of cooking over the fire and to have a small stove, sink and fridge outside is great to have.  My plan during college football season is to use the area to watch games outside and the beer will be in the small fridge outside right next to me.

We love it and in my opinion it's well worth it.

Foto-n-T said:
Where I'm supposed to live in Wyoming there have been Griz that have developed a taste for beer.

Can you blame them?  ;D

But no, you don't want to feed one in any way....or they will become a nuisance and ultimately may have to be put down.  Not good for anyone.  Just have to ensure that they can't smell anything....and these guys can smell for miles.  The black bears are usually docile and will avoid humans, unless you encounter a sow with cubs.  We don't have any grizzlies down here.

I can't wait to hit a NASCAR race with my new TT.  The outdoor kitchen will be perfect for tailgating! 

Back
Top Bottom