Considering new tow vehicle and want your insight / opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifercks

We are considering getting a newer truck. We currently drive a 2001 F250 with the 7.3L diesel ... and 190,000 miles. We love this truck and there is nothing wrong with it. It starts, it runs, it pulls, it handles, and we have taken very very good care of it. Nothing wrong with this truck ... other than it's 15 years old and has 190,000 miles.

The truck's former job was to haul a 3-horse trailer on local outings -- never more than 50 miles from home. Over to the stables, the trainer's, a horse show now and then, a trail ride, the vet's ... that sort of thing.

But now that we're wanting to haul the TT out to Colorado, we're having second thoughts about it. Don't want to get stranded. The towing capacity is surely somewhat reduced by age. And we don't want to destroy the truck, either. It would still make a great truck for someone else to haul horses around locally for sure.

I know enough to not buy Ford's 6.0L diesel.

I'm thinking of going to look at this truck: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/5592043991.html

I will link to a couple of others they have at this same place, and see if I can get some feedback from you guys. (By the way, we are hauling a 33-foot travel trailer approximately 700 miles from the flatlands of Kansas to the Rocky Mountains, over Wolf Creek Pass.)

2011 Ford F250 w/ 70,000 miles: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/5575300616.html

2011 Ford F250 w/ 94,000 miles: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/5575251183.html

2011 Dodge 2500 w/ 90,000 miles: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/5603268096.html

2010 Dodge 2500 w/ 82,900 miles: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/5600322656.html

Any thoughts, opinions or insight very much appreciated. I have not gone to look at any of these, but think we may go take a look and a test drive this afternoon.

Thank you so much.

One nice part about trading for newer is either having an exhaust brake or the capability of adding one. They are all nice looking trucks, and the asking price is cheaper than what would get asked in my area of the country. One thing on the Rams though, look at the yellow sticker on the door pillar to check out the payload capacity. I've seen a few post here about the payload capacity on the Ram 2500's and some were really low. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Rams, I've owned three of them, and two of my sons have have Rams. It wouldn't hurt to check the Fords either just to make sure it will haul what you need. Remember, each sticker on each truck will have a different rating.

We are heading over this afternoon to take a look. I found out they also have a 2011 F350 in our price range.

Here are the two I am most interested in:

2011 F250, 135k miles, $30,998: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/5592043991.html
6.7L Diesel V8 Turbo, 4WD, 3.73 axle. Towing capacity is listed by Ford (haven't seen the yellow sticker yet) at 14,000 lbs.

2011 F350, 71k miles, $32,995: http://www.jkbautosales.com/2011_Ford_F350%20Super%20Duty_Harrisonville_MO_259690836.veh
6.7L Diesel V8 Turbo, 4WD, 3.73 axle. Towing capacity is listed by Ford (also have not seen the yellow sticker yet) at 17,500 lbs.

Our TT is 33 feet long and weighs around 8,000 loaded.

Anyone want to comment?

Both links go to the same truck...not that it matters much; either one of those should pull an 8000 lb trailer no problem.

The F350, obviously, will have a higher payload and would be the better option if you ever want to pull a 5'vr.  Is the 350 a long bed?  Might be an issue if it's a daily driver.

That bronze color on the 250 though...drool.

Thanks for spotting that wrong link. I'll go back and change it.

Here is the F350: http://www.jkbautosales.com/2011_Ford_F350%20Super%20Duty_Harrisonville_MO_259690836.veh

Ford has done you right, I'd stick with it.  But I am a Ford guy, so that nothing short of my brand war opinion.
I'd go with a 350 with lower miles.

Jennifercks said:
We are considering getting a newer truck. We currently drive a 2001 F250 with the 7.3L diesel ... and 190,000 miles. We love this truck and there is nothing wrong with it. It starts, it runs, it pulls, it handles, and we have taken very very good care of it. Nothing wrong with this truck ... other than it's 15 years old and has 190,000 miles.

The truck's former job was to haul a 3-horse trailer on local outings -- never more than 50 miles from home. Over to the stables, the trainer's, a horse show now and then, a trail ride, the vet's ... that sort of thing.

But now that we're wanting to haul the TT out to Colorado, we're having second thoughts about it. Don't want to get stranded. The towing capacity is surely somewhat reduced by age. And we don't want to destroy the truck, either. It would still make a great truck for someone else to haul horses around locally for sure.
Any thoughts, opinions or insight very much appreciated. I have not gone to look at any of these, but think we may go take a look and a test drive this afternoon.

Thank you so much.

The Ford/Navistar 7.3L Diesel is renown for going well over a half million miles, and it's not hard to find people that have six to nine hundred thousand on them that have taken care of them like you have yours. I can't find a 2001 towing guide, but the 2002 towing guide (http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/) says the towing capacity for that truck should be around 12,500 pounds for a conventional trailer.

Rather than trade your truck in for a newer diesel that has all the new emissions equipment, I'd suggest you consider spending a few grand on your current truck to have a good shop go through it and make sure it's in good working order and just keep it till the wheels fall off. My opinion is that you're more likely to get stranded due to the newer electronics failing than you are with a solid truck like that 7.3 failing.

Regarding the 6.7L truck; the first few years had some teething pains. Keep in mind that the 6.7L was a brand new engine, not a continuation of the 6.0L/6.4L family. I've read reports that the first few years had issues with the turbo and the fuel system cratering with any small amounts of contaminated fluid. The first required a new turbo at several thousand dollars, the second a completely new fuel system at about eight grand. I LIKE the new 6.7L, but I'd be cautious of the first few years  of the engine.

Let's say you get ten grand for your truck on a thirty grand "new" truck. You're into it for twenty grand minimum, plus taxes, and financing if you finance, so perhaps as much as thirty grand before you get it paid off. For about ten to fifteen percent of that you can have that 7.3L gone through and have an excellent truck for a LONG time!

Campingnut16 said:
If you'd like to sell your 7.3 truck please PM me with price and info :)

CampingNut16's comment is the telling one. A 7.3L that's been taken care of as you say yours has been is highly sought after.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, at the weights you're talking about (8,000 pounds), you'd probably be just fine with a gasser. The new Ram 6.4L Hemi would be a great truck for what you're talking about, and most 5.4L F150's wouldn't have any problem with that.

Still, my opinion (and you did ask for opinions ;) ), is that you should consider spending a few thousand on your 7.3L and just drive it. They're a great truck. Unless you absolutely NEED all the new bells and whistles and the "Cadillac" ride that you get with the new ones, there aren't any trucks out there (other than my 2500 Dodge Cummins of course ;) ) that I'd rather have!

If you want more power out of the 7.3L, you can add a LOT of power without hurting the engine with just a few grand as well and you're not hampered by all the emissions equipment and regulations as much as you are with a newer one.

I started a build thread on CumminsForum (http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/2023098-tow-vehicle-build-thread-ethyl-2002-dodge-2500-auto-5-9l-ctd-4-10-a.html) with the intention of doing exactly what I'm recommending. I don't have the luxury of having owned the truck since new like you have, but I found what I believe to be a good used one and am spending some money on it rather than buying a new one.

Spend some time on http://powerstrokehelp.com/. The only thing that guy has to say bad about the 7.3L truck is that it's old and rides less elegantly than the new ones. The most common comment about the 7.3L on http://www.powerstroke.org/ is from guys bemoaning that they got rid of their 7.3L in favor of a newer truck!

Regarding the one ton vs 3/4 ton and srw vs drw issue; again, you're not towing enough to be terribly concerned about that. As long as you're staying within the rating of your truck and have good tires you should be ok. Get some new shocks and perhaps heavy anti-sway bars.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Namaste,
Kate

I never understood what people have  against driving older vehicles.  190.000 miles is not much for a 7.3 diesel.    I would save the payments on a new truck and invest it into a compleat overall and mabey a paint job if the trucks looking tired.  You could also have the interior redone.... you could have it looking like new I. No tine

I agree with all but......

Elisavaet said:
I've read reports that the first few years had issues with the turbo and the fuel system cratering with any small amounts of contaminated fluid. The first required a new turbo at several thousand dollars, the second a completely new fuel system at about eight grand. I LIKE the new 6.7L, but I'd be cautious of the first few years  of the engine.

I am sure their are some reports, some lemons, etc... But overall I think even the early model years have held up well overall. I have an '11 and happy with it.  Yes it only has 28K miles, but I'd estimate well over 20K of this is towing loads.

Kate and Robert sure do add another dimension to the situation. Since Kate mentioned getting a gasser, don't forget the Ford 6.2. I did a lot of research before I bought mine. I haven't pulled a lot with it yet, but seems to be fine so far. It will struggle more than a diesel towing in the mountains though.

First, why trade or buy another??  You HAVE a proven winner!!

Second, if you really want a newer truck, go for the F350, without a doubt!!  Lower mileage, higher payload, same physical size.

An Update and some additional details.

First -- thank you to everyone, I appreciate all the comments and welcome more.

Okay, we went to see and test drive. The bronze F250 is definitely out. It's been ridden  hard and put up wet. I would rather keep my 2001, thank you.

The silver F350 was AMAZING. I loved everything about it. It felt hefty and stable. Smooth, quiet, comfortable. It drove straight, has tons of pick up, it stopped straight. It's pristine. Only 71,000 miles. It has the all of the important options and none of the silly ones. I am seriously thinking of buying it. I think the price is right, too.

About our beloved 2001 F250 with the legendary 7.3L diesel engine and 195,000 miles:
- It is practically mint condition. The paint looks brand new (no need for a paint job). The leather seats are still beautiful. Everything works, including the power seats, the seat heaters, etc. (Well, there was an overhead computer at one time that would give you the outside temperature; it does not work, but seriously, roll down a window!) No rust. No dings. No damage.
- It has been impeccably maintained by a great diesel mechanic who loves it.

We put $5,000 in "maintenance" in it this spring -- brand new tires all the way around, and a dozen other things that I even forget now. One small something on the engine itself, everything else was on brakes, U-joints and other essential "stuff" that a truck needs to have in good working order to get down the road. A truck IS more than just an engine.

[As an aside:  I once had an Oldsmobile with more than 400,000 miles on it. I drove it until one of the wheels literally did fall off. When I traded it in, the mechanic came out to the showroom and said, "I want to meet the lady who owns that Oldsmobile." I laughed and said it was me.  He came over to me and said, "I just want to shake your hand. That engine is pristine. You must really take care of your cars." Yes, I do. And the engine on that Olds would probably have kept on going, but seriously, the wheel fell off!!!]

I love the F250, honestly, I am very attached to The Beast. She's been golden for us, but is getting long in the tooth. And while I keep my horses forever, the end is never fun and it's never pretty. I'm not wanting to drive The Beast into the ground, or until the wheels fall off. Nor do I want to hasten that day. I think I would like to sell her on to someone who will cherish her as much as we have and enjoy having such a nice truck at an affordable cost ... and maybe they can tinker and do some of the inevitable "fixes" she is going to need on a DIY basis. We are not mechanically inclined, and to the extent we ever were, those days are mostly over.

Jennifercks said:
A truck IS more than just an engine.

Even though I agree with all that say the current truck Jennifercks has is proven and still has life left, I also strongly agree with this statement and I think its easy for folks to overlook that.
  I also take VERY good care of my vehicles and equipment, but 5 years ago (almost to the day) I upgraded from a '97 7.3 to a '11 6.7.  With years and high mileage there is an extensive list of things that can nickel and dime you to death.  But more importantly  is the fact that not everyone is a mechanic and minor issues can/do ruin planned outings.  These issues could be from a massive list; brakes, rotors, fuel pumps, idler bearings, belts, glow plug relays, brake boosters, alignments, electrical issues, glow plugs, injectors, just to name a few.
  There is nothing wrong with have a newer vehicle, that actually has more power (stock anyway) and is more reliable 9 out of 10 times.  Its more than just the engine.

You're not THAT far away from us? Maybe have a nose North of the border - seriously.

Your Dollar will go WAY further here. Bring your camper and make a weekend of it!  ;)

At the end of March I traded my fully loaded (NAV, leather, heated/cooled seats, Sunroof, 3.73's, HD tow, Sony sound) '13 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost short box with 85K (KMs) on it. Book price for private sale in A1 condition was ~$29K CAD. The dealers (5 of 'em) all agreed to offer me $32,500 CAD on trade. It's the first time I've EVER seen a dealer offer above book value on a vehicle!

They all told me: with the CAD currently so weak against the USD, they're shipping pre-owned vehicles South of the border like crazy right now, and STILL making very good money on the resale. Just a thought?

Oh, and don't be ~too~ quick to rule out the Ford 6.0l - it's a phenomenal motor, but Ford really should have taken ownership of the problems and remedied them. If you can find a truck that has either had the Turbo/EGR/Injectors/head studs/etc. replaced (and the owner can prove it), you'll have found yourself one amazing & reliable truck for not a lot of coin?  :-X

Fwiw, there's no such thing as a single rear wheel 2011+ Ford  SD powerstroke with a 3.73 axle. It's 3.31 or 3.55. That

The F350 did not pass the pre-purchase inspection. There was considerable rust in the undercarriage along with other tell-tale signs of trouble.

We will keep looking. Just wanted to circle back and repeat the value of an objective third party's expertise!

We found this one yesterday and bought it. We totally love it and got a great price.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2012&zip=66061&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&transmissionCode=AUT&doorCode=4&transmissionCodes=AUT&showcaseListingId=428774111&pricesOnly=true&mmt=%5BFORD%5BF350%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&doorCodes=4&vehicleStyleCodes=TRUCKS&photosOnlyActual=true&modelCode1=F350&driveGroup=AWD4WD&fuelTypeGroup=DSL&showcaseOwnerId=68345&startYear=2011&makeCode1=FORD&firstRecord=0&maxMileage=100000&searchRadius=50&listingId=424599929&Log=0

The kbb listed average retail at $48k and we got it for $39k including the remainder of the factory warranty (to 100,000 miles) plus the dealer's certified pre-owned warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles. We also were able to get the extended warranty for 48 months or 60,000 miles -- which is bumper to bumper.

We are thrilled with this truck and so happy about the technology upgrades. We paid cash (ouch!) and will be selling the 250 ourselves.

Appreciate everyone's insight and opinions. We feel we made the right choice for us at this time in our lives. I'm sure someone will snap up the F250 with the 7.3l engine and give it a good home for many years to come!

Back
Top Bottom