Considering Purchasing an Enclosed Car Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wincom6

[size=14pt]
I have been thinking of changing from 4 down  to a enclosed cargo trailer for a while and your input would be appreciated. I have been pulling a Saturn Vue 4 down for 6 years with good results. I could use an enclosed trailer for other reasons but I can?t justify the cost without using it when traveling.
I would like to hear from anyone that pulls their towed in a trailer and if they still think it is a good idea.
What accessories would I require, what length should I consider, should I look for a V nose and does a motorhome need a longer draw bar. What kind of brake controller should I look for considering I have a exhaust brake.
[/size]

I have considered doing the same thing in order to tow a classic car and to gain some additional storage space. I have seen any number of people who have done it, some with coaches that I would not have believed could pull the extra weight. Usually, they had some sort of unique load that did not lend itself to being towed four down. Overall length of the equipment is going to be something you have to be aware of, as well, since you could be approaching maximum length in some circumstance.

My concern has always been doing something with the trailer when you park, if you cannot get a pull through site. Especially since we full time, and tend to stay somewhere longer at a time, you can't always get the kind of accommodations that you want and space to park the trailer. Then there's the issue with maneuvering the trailer with some vehicle if it cannot park with you.

I will be interested to see responses from those with experience.

I had been towing my 1 ton van on an open trailer with my flooring tools jammed inside. I needed a place to work and thus I chose a 24ft Haulmark trailer. I had it custom made to my specs. I have cabinets up front, and instead of having my van inside, I opted for a short wheel base Yukon that we have. I had the manufacturer add length in the tongue and everything is nice and dry.

I have to use an enclosed trailer as I haul cycles to shows etc. Mine is app 24' OAL and what a pain. Pulling a trlr is no problem, pulling one that starts 36' behind you is a pain. You are pretty much stuck using truck stops for fuel and finding a CG is sometimes a pain too as others have said. Usually I purchase all my diesel at local stations to get the best price, not with the trailer. If you pull a vehicle that can also be unloaded and move the trlr that makes it a bit easier ( not an option for me with cycles).
It's certainly doable and many use open trlr which are much easier to see around. I just would not do it if I had another option. The trlr limits my flexibility regarding stops and I have to do a bit more advanced planning for the trip in general. You can also expect a drop of MPG of app 1 - 1.5 depending on design of trlr nose.
I am app 61' OAL which puts me right at the limit in some states.
Some wire the trlr brakes off the treadle valve bypassing the normal light hookup, others use it as is and allow the exhaust brake to engage the trlr brakes also. If you have the option I would suggest trying this out before you commit to the expenses of an enclosed trlr. Good luck with it either way.

Since you already have the 4-down equipment, changing over to a trailer will be nothing but extra expense and hassle. It doesn't help the cost justification one bit, at least not until you change to a newer toad. Or is a different toad part of the plan?

Thank you everyone,  I have changed my mind and will continue to pull 4 down.

I would like to think everyone, The RV Form is a fantastic sounding board, being able to talk with others and getting help with problems is great. You may have helped me save 5-10,000. 

I see a lot of questions here that are answered with "yes, you can, but...should you?" Every situation is personal and it helps everyone to air a "what if..." and get perspective. It also helps to not be so stuck on your own solution that you ignore the input you asked for.

Like you, I am sure I have saved a lot of money just listening. Is this Forum great or what?  8)

I do both depending on whether we take the motorcycles or not.  If we are just going for a weekend or extended weekend and are not going to take the Harley or the son's Buell then we just flat tow the Jeep. 

Personally I prefer to tow the trailer as it is nice to have a rolling shop with me and to arrive with everything clean as you back it out of the trailer.  We used to just use the trailer for towing our sand toys to the dunes for a weekend of playing but a few years ago started towing it more and really like towing the trailer.

Like others have already mentioned fueling must be done in the semi/truck lanes at the truck stop as manuevering around with the autos is a pain.  Some campgrounds do not have long enough sites and you must unhook in a designated drop area but I have found that the exception rather than the norm.  Some campgrounds will not let you have your trailer at your site even though the sites are plenty long, Las Vegas Outdoor Resort for example.  When we go there we have to drop into a trailer parking area before going to the site even though the sites are more than long enough, it is just their policy, no trailers allowed at the camp sites.

We just returned from a week long trip to Ouray, Colorado and we towed the trailer with the toys inside.  The trailer was loaded to just over 12k pounds and it towed great.  Slowed me a little on the grades but not much more than flat-towing the Jeep.  It was nice to have the motorcycles there and the Jeep, although the first three days we had rain so we did off-roading in the Jeep I was beginning to wonder if we would even get a chance to ride the bikes.  Finally on the fourth day the weather was absolutely fantastic and we rode the motorcycles over to Silverton for lunch and then the next day to Telluride and wandered around.  The wife thought it was kind of nice to be able to have both the bikes and the Jeep on the trip.

Our trailer is a 26' Haulmark Edge.  When we ordered it I had extra height added along with an extended tongue, two 500 watt halogen lights on the curbside, L-shaped workbench, flourescent lights, ATP flooring and two 7k pound axles with 14 ply tires.  The trailer measures an overall length of 31' and when hooked to the coach we are 72' bumper to bumper.  The rig handles fantastic and is actually a joy to drive, you just have to think your way through fuel stops, lunch stops, parking lots and campgrounds a little more than when not towing but overall not that big of a deal.

I would not and do not tow the trailer if we are only going to be changing campgrounds every day to two as that is a PITA loading and unloading everything.  Just the Jeep is not that bad but with the bikes it takes a little longer to make certain everything is secure.  Flat-towing is much more convenient for quick trips or multiple stops on a trip.  Just my opinion.

Mike.

Thank you Mike,  I really feel that I have a lot idea of what it would be like to pull a trailer. I don?t think I will purchase one now.  I may change my mind in the future.  The thought of pulling a new toad behind my motorhome does not seem to be a good idea.  I didn?t find this site until I had about 6 years of  ?trial and error? under my belt and I made some really costly mistakes.
I do have other uses for a trailer but if I?m not taking it on the road, the overall cost will not make it worthwhile. Again thank you everyone for the good advice.

I have done it all tow dolly, 4 down and trailer.  To me the trailer is the easiest to tow as you can back or go forward.  Each has its Pros and Cons.  We towed the trailer when we were taking both the car and the motorcycle.  Now that we are not taking the bike we went to 4 down.  Very few times did we have a problem overnighting with the trailer.  We would just call ahead during the day and find a spot.  On the rare times we could not find a place we dry camped at Walmart or a chuch.  A couple of times the campground said they would just move the trailer for us as we had to unhook and they placed it where it was a snap to hook up in the morning.  I did use a Trailer Toad between the motorhome and trailer which took the load off the motorhome so all the stress it was getting was the push/pull.  It takes about the same time to hook any combination but the trailer to me was the easiest.  I pulled a 20.5 foot plus the tongue.  I used both sway bars and equalizer hitch.  I put the Smart Car in the nose and the Goldwing trike on the tail. The biggest advantage to the trailer is the additional items you can take along with the car.  As to the size you just need a couple feet more than the length of the vehicle you are putting in it to allow for easy tie down.  A side door on each side is very handy also.

Back
Top Bottom