Converter/Inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oak

I need some advice/help please.
Travel trailer: 31ft, Keystone 2007 zeppelin.
I have a converter in this unit as shore power must be connected in order for me to have AC power.

Is there a way for me to put an Inverter in-line so that when I am camping away from hook-ups I could generate ac from my batteries?

If so how would it be wired in so as to not be ruined when I did connect to shore power?

I have plenty of room for additional batteries.
What brings this up is I camped this week-end without shore power and was reduced to making my morning coffee cowboy style.  :)
I know, you're all thinking "poor old Oak" but it did get me to thinking about an inverter, even if it was just for long enough to make my coffee.  :D
Thanks.
Oak

You can easily add an Invertor as a stand alone power source and still use your convertor to provide DC power and charge your batteries.

You could also get an Invertor/charger that would also charge your batteries.

Several options and none are all that complicated.

The Invertor would draw power from the batteries and output A/C.  Think of it as plugging into your batteries and plugging in your A/C item to the Invertor.

There are different ways to install an inverter.  You can have it set up as a "whole house" inverter that powers everything except high draw items such as air conditioners.  You can set it up so only certain outlets are on the inverter, and others only work when you are plugged in to shore power.

We have our 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter set up to power most the outlets in the RV, so we can run everything except the air conditioners and washer/dryer off the inverter.  It is not practical under most circumstances to run an air conditioner from an inverter.

We use these automatic switches that work to switch from shore power to inverter automatically.

http://www.ecodirect.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Xantrex-808-0915&gdffi=0dae7bd1372740b294ae62e0f7f77b8d&gdfms=4E465D353A0D4083A6F1CAEF256592A3&gclid=CMTltZy-2s4CFQSNaQodpfwHUg

If you are going to run a coffee pot from an inverter, you will need at least a 1500 watt inverter, and probably a batter bank of at least 400 amp hours.

I am sure others will add to this string.

Thanks Paul,  My answer was pretty simplistic.  Hope to see you again someday.  Have not seen you since the Tucson New Years Rally a few years ago.

HueyPilotVN said:
Thanks Paul,  My answer was pretty simplistic.  Hope to see you again someday.  Have not seen you since the Tucson New Years Rally a few years ago.

We were in Quartzsite in February and part of March. We saw your coach at an RV Park.  Stopped in a couple of times to say hi, but no one was around.  I am sure our paths will cross again.

Thanks guys, I will delve into it deeper.
I was thinking 2000 watt also.
Would power everything but the AC but would power the fan.

I have several Solar panels that I figure to put into the system also.

Oak

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom