Converter location, 1997 Airstream LY 33 Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geode

My house batteries only charge when the engine is running. Neither city power or generator power have any effect on the 12V circuits. There is no AC power at what appears to be the converter outlet. If this is correct, then the converter is not getting power so would not produce an output.

The problem is, I cannot find the converter. I have only had the Airstream for about ten days, so have not looked everywhere. Given where the AC diagrams show the position of the converter outlet and assuming that the converter would be near the house batteries, I do not see anything that looks like a converter. This motorhome was originally built with a Todd Engineering 75 amp converter. It could have been changed out over the last 18 years.

I would like to at least test the converter.  So, where is it?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or answers.

An update:  I ran an extension cable from the house to the inside and plugged what should be the converter AC able  into the extension.  Right now, my batteries are sitting at about 12.56vdc with the converter unplugged and 13vdc with the converter plugged in.  Not sure what this means, but it could indicate that the converter is at least putting out enough power to trickle charge the batteries.  There is also a small solar system involved, but I have only seen the volt meter and a one foot square that could be the solar panel.  The volt meter is reading 15.5 volts, so it is just one more mystery for me.

Pretty sure the issue with the converter is no AC from city or generator power at the outlet.  There is a TV that appears to be on the same circuit and it does not turn on.  Works from the extension cable though.  There is also another outlet that is shown in a diagram to be on the same line as the converter outlet.  It has power.

I found the isolator in the engine compartment, but still cannot find the converter.

In seems to indicate that the charger is working somewhat but... If your unit has a power centre (DC fuses and 120V circuit in the same metal box), it may be part of the panel package and located behind that, or even simply hidden in the space behind the 120V power panel. Other favorite places to hide this stuff are under dinette benches, under beds, under stoves or fridges

There are lots of threads on the Todd Engineering units which can be found by simply using the search function on the Menu line above. Most seem to favor scrapping it and installing a better unit like one from Progressive Dynamics 9200 series, but this does not help much on your locating it!! You might wait until it is very quiet, with no noises around you and try and detect a low hum coming from somewhere within your unit.

Another update:  It seems that the converter is working, at least in part.  I watched the voltage for a while.  Over a day, it went from 12.46 to 13.09 and then dropped back to a lower voltage.  I just measured the  battery  voltage without the converter and it is 12.55.  I assume that is telling me that the batteries are at about 75% charge or can only be charged to  about that level.  The batteries  did not have the date marked when they were installed.  Visually, they appear fairly new.  Possibly a year or less.  I  am going to leave the RV plugged into 110 from the house for another couple of days and see if the charge increases.

I still have not found the converter.  It does not make enough noise for me to hear it.  I can only see about a foot of the converter AC power cable where it is plugged in to a dedicated outlet, but it must be near there.  Maybe I  need to file missing converter report.

Bear in mind that a fully charged 12V battery will measure about 12.6V so yours appear to be fully charged. Any higher voltage (say 13.2+) means the battery is under charge at the time you read it. A typical float charge is about 13.2V or so and, depending on how sophisticated the charger is (a 3-4 stage charger) can put out up to 14.5 V or so and will raise or drop the voltage as needed.

Oh, frabjous day! Caloo! Calay!  I  found the inverter.  It was behind a panel in front of the passenger seat.  Only by accident did I find the panel and then the inverter.  I also found the original outlet for the forward  television that is controlled by the ignition.  So now, I have solved two problems and can rest on my laurels for the evening.

Thanks for the help.

jyro, I had seen that manual on the Airstream site and ignored it because it had the 2005 date on it.  I have what appears to be the original manual for the 1997 LY.  There are some interesting differences in the content.  The 1997 manual had far less disclaimer text and many schematics.  Maybe between the two I can know more about my 1997.

Thanks!

The saga of the missing converter continues.  After finding the converter and determining that, in fact, it was not working, I decided to replace it with a PD9260.  The new converter arrived a few days ago, but it has been to hot to lay half upside down while trying to not get trapped under the passenger seat to do anything other than think about how hot it was.  Progress, waited until today.

This morning I undid the self-tapping screws that held the old converter in place.  I could not get at the terminals until it was out and laying on the floor.  When I loosened clamp screw on the negative terminal, I discovered that the screw was tightened on the insulation and that the wire made little if any contact with the terminal.  So, the old Power Source 50 amp converter might actually work.  I will give it a try after I get the PD9260 mounted.  I am wondering if this is the original converter.  If so, it never worked and the previous owners must have spent a fortune on batteries.

Stay tuned for the next exciting chapter.

PD9260 is installed, running and charging the house batteries.

Back
Top Bottom