Coolant quantity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pp3harris

I have a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor/Freightliner/Cat 3126 with hot water augment(?) Can anyone tell me the total coolant capacity? The Cat literature says the engine holds 9 gallons. Does that include the radiator on my rear radiator installation? Also, I'm sure there is a bunch circulating around the coach for one reason or another.
I want to replace all of the coolant with Cat ELC. I don't know what's in there now. Lazy Days changed it out when I bought the coach 4 years ago. Are the coolants compatible? I want the local Cat dealer to change it out and replace the thermostats which I am sure has never been done (54,000 miles). Cat says too replace them.
Thanks for the help.

The coolant capacity should be shown in the chassis manual as it includes more than just the engine. 

Chassis manual no help. What's your opinion about Cat ELC mixing with other diesel coolants?
Thanks

My 07 Beaver with Cat C9, & AquaHot takes 50-55 quarts (12 1/2 - 13 3/4 gallons) on initial fill, per the owners manual. I'm a fan of Cat ELC and if I was having the dealer flush and fill, make them aware of the unknown previous coolant issue and make sure they knew I wanted ELC put in.

If it were me, I'd also have a good clear talk with the service writer and if possible, the mechanic who was going to work on my rig and make ABSOLUTELY sure they understood I wanted the correct amount of ELC concentrate coolant put in NOT 50/50 mix coolant. (for my rig with almost 14 gallon capacity, 7 gallons of ELC concentrate and the finish filling the system with distilled water) Here's why. After a flush and when ready for the final fill there is always coolant left in the system that cannot be drained out. Some in the AquaHot, some in this cooler and that hose. The retain is sometimes up to 2 or 3 gallons between all the places that may not drain. If they fill with 50/50 then you are starting out with less than a 50/50 "optimum" mix of coolant right after the service. I'm not worried about the freezing protection, I want the most water pump lube, corrosion resistance, cylinder wall cavitation protection, etc. Also by starting out with a "rich" mix, any topping off that I might do, which is less than a quart a year on my rig, is done with the same jug of distilled water that I use in my batteries. No need to carry a jug of top off coolant.

Over the years I've heard stories of Cat dealers that don't even stock the concentrate. They only stock the 50/50 mix. In order to get my money they would have to order some in (and show me the containers when done) or I would be finding another dealer.

Not that I have strong opinions on coolant or anything......

Ken

Thanks,
I'm taking the coach in tomorrow about another issue and I'll talk to the service manager. He is definitely an asset and cooperative in every way ( Yancey Bros in Columbus, GA.)
They are going to replace the seals in one of my Power Gear jacks. When I asked him if he could do that type of work and if he would work on a motorhome he cracked up. When he stopped laughing he said that they replace seals in hydraulic cylinders almost every day and he didn't care what it came off of. When I asked him if he could remove it he said that's what they are there for. My kind of guy.
We'll see what the outcome of the coolant/thermostat project is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom