Coolant reservoir cracked 2008 Horizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joiner

Our coolant reservoir is old and cracking. Freightliner cannot find us one. Any thoughts or ideas. We’re to head east soon.

I've got a couple of thoughts. A auto body shop has experience in fiberglass body repair may be able to make a replacement. Another option is to see if a metal or machinist shop can make a replacement one out of light metal. Good luck.

Our last two coaches have had a semi-transparent "plastic" coolant reservoir. I'd have thought you could buy one at an auto parts store or a truck repair/parts place. Amazon has them in plastic and aluminum for large trucks (tractors), including Freightliner chassis (the Dorman that Ranger mentioned is also there). If you don't find the exact replacement, you may need to juggle the mounting &/or re-route a hose or two.

Our last two coaches have had a semi-transparent "plastic" coolant reservoir. I'd have thought you could buy one at an auto parts store or a truck repair/parts place. Amazon has them in plastic and aluminum for large trucks (tractors), including Freightliner chassis (the Droman that Ranger mentioned is also there). If you don't find the exact replacement, you may need to juggle the mounting &/or re-route a hose or two.
That depends on whether the reservoir is just an overflow jug or if, like on my F53, it's part of the pressurized coolant system. A basic overflow jug could be replaced by something as simple as a coolant bottle with a hose run through the lid. A pressurized overflow jug, not so much.

That depends on whether the reservoir is just an overflow jug or if, like on my F53, it's part of the pressurized coolant system. A basic overflow jug could be replaced by something as simple as a coolant bottle with a hose run through the lid. A pressurized overflow jug, not so much.
I wondered about that when I wrote my response (and meant to add a comment), but I assume the Dorman OEM replacement is the "right one". FWIW our coach has a tank with a radiator cap, suggesting it's pressurized. But the cap has been left off at least twice, once by a service tech and once by me, but there was no apparent loss of coolant.

The coolant reservoir on a Freightliner diesel chassis is not a simple overflow jug - it is an integral part of the coolant system. There are other Freightliner tanks available, truck or RV, but the problem is the mods needed to fit a different size/shape tank. Many shops don't want to deal with it, worrying about customer complaints and comebacks if their jury-rig replacement isn't quite perfect.

In my experience, smaller, independent, shops are more willing to choose an alternate tank and fabricate a different mount for it.

I wondered about that when I wrote my response (and meant to add a comment), but I assume the Dorman OEM replacement is the "right one". FWIW our coach has a tank with a radiator cap, suggesting it's pressurized. But the cap has been left off at least twice, once by a service tech and once by me, but there was no apparent loss of coolant.
You're lucky. I left a radiator cap off of my wife's Mazda one time. We ended up buying her a different car.

On the F53, when the oil cooler sprung a leak and filled the cooling system with oil, a lot of the mixture blew out from under the cap and coated the whole area around the coolant bottle, the whole right wheel well area and the whole right side of the coach. That was with the cap tight.

As a last resort you may be able to drill a small hole at each end of the crack to try and stop it from getting longer. Then grind a bevel in the crack and maybe fill it with J-B Weld. I would also try to put a heavy layer in the inside if you could. Maybe by using a wide artist brush. They have some specifically for welding plastic. Others may recommend a different filler.

Our coolant reservoir is old and cracking. Freightliner cannot find us one. Any thoughts or ideas. We’re to head east soon.
Is "Freightliner" the local dealer of did you contact Freightliner Custom Chassis itself? Your local dealer may not be proactive about finding parts for a motorhome, but the factory service center often is. And you can order parts direct from FCCC yourself if they have an alternative. Call 1-800-FTL-HELP and have the last 6 digits of the chassis VIN handy. See if they can suggest an alternative. This is a rather common repair on FCCC motorhome chassis.

Used to be there were no overflow jugs... might be able to go without if you check it on the regular.
If it's part of the pressurized system the volume is needed though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom