Cooling and heating thermostat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gandwadventure

I want to change out the true air 6537-335* thermostat to a digital like Hunter or other name thermostat.
I don't like the slide switches to switch from air to heat etc.
What residentual thermotat can i use to convert and also some diagrams to hook it up.
Thanks in advance.

Sarge....I did the conversion years ago from the Coleman Mach to the Hunter digital thermostat.  Has worked great.  The only thing is with this thermostat you still have a slide switch to change from HEAT to COOL.  I used the instructions listed in the link above.

You are almost surely going to end up with some type of heat/cool switch, no matter what thermostat you choose. If not a slide, a menu push button, lever, or something else. Even the latest touch-screen Hunters still have a lever-type slide switch at the bottom to select heating or cooling mode.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You are almost surely going to end up with some type of heat/cool switch, no matter what thermostat you choose. If not a slide, a menu push button, lever, or something else. Even the latest touch-screen Hunters still have a lever-type slide switch at the bottom to select heating or cooling mode.
Our stick and brick house has an auto-changeover Honeywell thermostat and it works amazingly well - I suppose it could be modified to work with basement air.

Many Home thermostats do not work well with DC power sources, they need AC to work properly... And for this reason make sure it's RV compatable before you buy it.

It must be happy with 12-16 volt DC type power.  NOT 24 volt AC.

Hunter Douglas offers a 20 dollar digital thermostat that runs on two AA batteries that is great.  Most RV thermostats are so broad that it makes temp swings inside horrible.  The HD digital uses about 1-2 degree drop to fire off again.  Makes the RV much more comfortable.  I have no issues switching from heat to cool when necessary.  We normally do not use both in the same day.

I was going to do a stat upgrade in the rv  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,68229.msg622709.html#msg622709
but never could find one that would switch between heat and cool automatically. The Hunter and Ritetemp models that used to do this are not made anymore or will not work on a 2 stage HP with gas backup. There are some designed for the house that might work but I could not find one that would work in the rv on battery.

I switched to digital this summer, I have no regrets.  My temps stay more consistent.  I used cheap honeywell tstats from walmart.

In my research I found that any single stage battery powered digital tstat will work. I even exp with a two stage thermostat and it worked well.

If I had heat pumps....this is a t'stat I'd consider... http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php?p=braeburn_5320&product=177189

I've used AA battery operated before in various systems both domestic and commercial applications with good success..
The only issues were with hydronic, baseboard water & steam, heating systems...seems they don't play well w/the slower response time of those systems..something to do w/not having a heat anticipater and using a time based cycling system to avoid over shooting set-points... but on forced air they work very nicely..

Hope this was helpful to some..

George

If I had heat pumps....this is a t'stat I'd consider..................

This requires 24 VAC, so, not an option.

The thermostat is able to run on the AA batteries as a stand alone unit...thus it works on 24v A/C and even millivolt systems...it is able to "switch loads using 12 volt power or 24 volt power.

I thought that was what was asked for ..

George

Back
Top Bottom