Corroded battery cables?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

borffmann

I've got a 1987 Fleetwood Bounder with an extra battery installed for the ignition/starting. It is beginning to have problems starting and I'm guessing that the corroded battery cables (see attached JPGs) are the culprit.

Can someone tell me what cables these are, or what the part would be called when I go into Napa auto to buy some new ones? I'm not sure if these cables are associated at all with the 12V power going to the RV interior?

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 68
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 59
The corrosion COULD be causing your problems...or your batteries might just be shot.

Clean them up well, charge them, then check them...If they're good...put a thin coating of petroleum jelly (vaseline) on them, OR, get some battery protector spray and coat them well.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PER0/80370/N0370.oap?ck=Search_N0370_-1_2526&categoryRedirect=N0370&pt=N0370&ppt=C0014

If they don't seem to hold a charge, take them and have them load tested...replace if necessary.

If you are having trouble starting, meaning the batteries sound like they are straining, then you need to have them cleaned, charged and load tested. The batteries used for starting are called the chassis batteries and the batteries that supply power to the inside of the MH are called house batteries. Remove the cables, clean them with a wire brush etc and clean the battery posts as well, then reattach them. Check all water levels and charge the batteries overnight. Load test them after they are at full charge and have sat for a couple hours. Most auto parts stores will load test for free also if you don't have the tester. After cleaning the cables and replacing the batteries if needed (replace them in sets, not just one) you should be in good shape. You probably won't need to replace the cables unless they have corroded to the point the connection at the battery is very worn around the eye crimped on the end of the cable. After cleaning and load testing let us know if you have any other issues or questions.

If you decide to replace the cables, just take them off and take them to a auto parts store. They can make them up for you

The 2 red batteries are 6v batteries which are the house batteries. Clean those terminals both the positive and ground cables and clean the top of the batteries, charge and load test. The black battery is your chassis battery which I assume you have a GM engine, again clean the terminals, charge and then test also. Looking at the batteries, it appears they are older batteries. Make sure the 6v batteries are full of distilled water or ct least clean water before charging. The chassis battery is a maintenance free battery. I would also clean the ground point where the black cables attach to the frame rail.

The pair of Trojan batteries in those pictures are NOT the engine starting batteries, so I doubt if that corrosion is your starting problem. But it ought to be fixed, cause it will cause a problem with house 12v power, sooner or later.

They are just standard battery cables, chosen for diameter (gauge) and length. But you may not need new cables - just remove and clean them up with a wire brush, and apply a battery terminal protection coating, something like this:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/crc-battery-terminal-protect-7.5-oz.-05046/7071027-P

You showed two batteries...  The first (Pair of six volt) is the house battery, the 2nd (Single 12 volt) is the engine battery.  Since your RV is a 1987 I am going to guess the starting battery has been replaced at least once and if so it is due for replacement once again however I make the following observations.

Side terminal batteries do not need to be cleaned as often as top terminal... but they still need it, That would be my first step, Remove the cables (one at a time) and wiresbursh the contact area.. I ALSO notice they use proper battery connections,  More on that in the HOUSE part of this post. (This is a good thing by the way)

House batteries likewise you are likely on your 2nd or 3rd set.. Here corrosion is a major factor since that cable may well need replacement.. I mentioned proper battery connectors in the Engine part.. At least some of the wires connected to the house batteries do NOT have proper terminal lugs for battery connecting.

Combine two DIFFERENT metals,, Electrical current, and a bit of acid, either liquid or vapor, and you get CORROSION!!!!!!!  as you clearly photographed. 

NO in my case: I inspect the house batteries often but the starting battery is a tad hard to access..  Damon put the blasted same kind of ring terminals that they used on the house (Wrong ones) and corrosion happened.
I ended up modifying so the assorted wires hook to a termnal block and a proper battery cable, with a lead terminal hooks to the battery.. Result.. Less corrosion.

This past week I decided to clean my cables on my house batteries. They were looking almost like yours. I went to a hardware store and bought a sheet of emery cloth (you can also do it with a wire brush) and a small bottle of spray to prevent corrosion from O'Reillys. After I shined them up, they turned out as good as new and did not have to buy new cables.

John From Detroit said:
I ended up modifying so the assorted wires hook to a termnal block and a proper battery cable, with a lead terminal hooks to the battery.. Result.. Less corrosion.

Ive never seen LEAD ring terminals!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom