Corrosion under windshield seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

While washing the motorhome, I noticed some small black particles coming out of the rubber seal around the windshield. When I lifted up the rubber from the fiberglass, it looks like corrosion and rust on the fiberglass under the rubber. I didn't think fiberglass would rust but mine appears to.
Has anyone else had this problem. Should I clean out under the seals, if so could this cause leaks and what should I put on it after cleaning. I don't want to cause any more problems. I've heard horror stories about windshield leaks.
  :mad:

The fiberglass can't rust, but there is likely a metal frame for the windshield and that could be rusting and the rusty water has stained the fiberglass.  Any part of the rubber seal you can easily lift is not going to create a leak hazard, but cleaning it out probably isn't going to benefit you either.

I'd hesitate to make any recommendation without seeing it myself, though maybe a digital picture would do. However, I would not leap to the conclusion that what you are seeing is a serious problem. If you can easily lift the rubber seal to see what's under it, then all kinds of external crud will accumulate there. It maybe just that and not a problem at all.

Well I finally got the MH out of the shed today to get ready to go to Florida. Did a better inspection of the windshield seal. After reading several other posts it seems that you may be correct. The problem seems to be the metal brackets down under the seal that is rusting, not real bad now so I will probably leave it alone for now.

However the black particles I'm seeing seems to be from the rubber seal breaking down. I'm still thinking about what to do about that. May just leave it alone also for now as I have a real fear about starting leaks or worse around the windshield.

For peace of mind you may want to have the windshield professionally sealled.

Bill

I had the same problem that turned into leak. I pulled rubber trim and removed the piece thats holds the trim. Sanded and painted metal. Added windshield sealant. Put back togeather. No leaks. I left well enough alone untill a leak started. Then as my luck would have it my windshield got hit by a rock about 9 months later and had to be rpl anyway. good luck with yours

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom