Cost of Replacing Shocks on F53 and Other Considerations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has the recent cost of replacing their shocks on their motorhome with a similar chassis like mine? One other thought is should the airbags be considered for replacement if they are still working? Any other considerations? Thanks in advance.

I just replaced mine.  Koni FSD 8805-1018 front shocks and 8805-1019 rear shocks from LTB Autosports in Melbourne, FL.  $154.99 each.  These folks had them in stock when everyone else had them on backorder. Great service and fast shipping. Haven't tested them out yet but planning on a 7000-mile trip soon.

Hi,

I should have been more specific, besides the shocks wondering what the cost of the labor to do the work cost. I figure for a good shock I'll be paying around $300 or $400. Koni sounds like a good brand. I've got a quote of about $600 labor for the work. Not sure what kind of trouble it is to remove the old and replace them yourself. Don't want to have to cut anything off if rusted though my original shocks are still yellow looking.

It was a few years ago, but my total was right around $1000 fr 4 shocks installed, the next year I had the springs all retempered.  Ade a huge difference.

Hi PancakeBill,

Many thanks for your information. I was quoted $1,000 for replacement, labor and all so that sounds good based on your cost. I'll talk to them about the springs later.

We put Koni's on a 1999 Aerbus  It was a 32 footer, had a GVWR of 18,000 lb and a Ford F53 chassis.  Shocks were put on by Hendersons in Oregon.  I didn't think they added much to the ride.  The wife liked them.  For about $900 6 years ago, I expected a whole lot more.   

Hi Garyb1st,

Many thanks for your information. Seems like the cost is close to a grand to have them replaced. Hopefully this will be of help to others who might wonder.

As to your question about removing old ones.  That seems to be a crap shoot. When mine were done at the shop, 3 came off OK, one was a bear.  Always seems to be one.  They had it on a lift and had working space under.  On your own you wold be lucky to slide in and jack and brace frame.  You would be real happy to have someone wit the torches, big bars and hammers for removing old stuff. 

I like doing my own work, but I have a pretty good idea whee I draw the line.

I changed my own.  Not too bad for a 76 year old.  I used a 1/2 inch electric impact wrench on the ones I could reach with it.

I should have been more specific, besides the shocks wondering what the cost of the labor to do the work cost. I figure for a good shock I'll be paying around $300 or $400. Koni sounds like a good brand. I've got a quote of about $600 labor for the work. Not sure what kind of trouble it is to remove the old and replace them yourself.
That sounds like a very reasonable ball park estimate; many places would likely be higher and only a few lower.  Bilsteins (OEM) run around $120 each and Konis about $170. That's at online discount sources; expect to pay 30%-60% more if bought through most shops or dealers.  Ask if you can supply the shocks and have the shop install them.

Replacing old shocks is always dirty business, even though not technically challenging. As Pancake Bill says, there is always one that resists! $400-$500 labor isn't unreasonable. Is that a fixed price quote or estimated for the time to be billed at whatever rate the shop charges ($100-$120 per hour is common these days)

One other thought is should the airbags be considered for replacement if they are still working?
What air bags?  An F53 chassis doesn't have any as it comes from Ford.

Hi Gary RV Wizard,

The airbags are Firestone that the owner must of purchased for a smoother ride. Early on after I purchased my RV, I discovered that the RV had them. I didn't know and had traveled with them deflated. Got some good advise on how to proceed from you, and about how much pressure to put in for the ride. One of many items that I learned as we began to travel. Had a fellow camper ask me how I liked them. Sort of embarrassing.

Still wondering if they should be replaced when I get the job done or left on?

opps,

It is an estimate but so far they have been consistent with the price. They seem to know what they are doing. Had to look around for a place that could do all my service items in one place. There are probably others as I am very close to the Elkhart area but had to work to find the two places that seem to be good at what they do without overcharging. I'll give a report later on for those that are interested.

Our 1999 Rexhall Aerbus had Firestone air bags.  Can't say for sure but think they were added by Rexhall.  We usually had them inflated to around 70 psi.  I'm pretty sure they were added for increased load bearing ability rather than improved ride.

Still wondering if they should be replaced when I get the job done or left on?
If they hold air, why replace them?  Since they are an adjunct to the normal spring suspension, a failed airbag wouldn't strand you on the roadside and you can replace them when & if there is a problem.

Hello,

Wanted to take the time to thank everyone who responded!! I now feel confident that I can have the work done. Have also decided to not do the work myself. While I am physically fit to probably handle it, I'd rather not have the frustration and trust the input I have received. Many thanks!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlie13
Back
Top Bottom