Cost of RVing - RVing for dummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi

We've just done a 15 month US/Canada Tour. There are 2 of us.

We didn't keep a record of our expenses (too scary) but I can tell you some definates :-

1) DO NOT RENT. Being from the UK you can buy in US and sell for a PROFIT in UK.  A $50k used Class A will sell for ?50k back home. You will need to stay out of Europe for 12 months not 7 (see various threads on this site)

2) Grocery shopping is MORE EXPENSIVE than in the UK, especially Fruit/Veg. We spend ?55/week in UK but spent ?75/week in US - and that wasn't buying imported Brit stuff either. Eating out can cost as little as $15pp for 3-course with couple drinks or over $50pp if you "enjoy a beer" (and we do, LOL !!).

3) Campgrounds averaged $30/night across our whole tour (we probably did 1 night/week in Wal-Mart car park). You will pay $45/night (if you're lucky) in Florida during Jan-Mar each year, $60/night is more like it. Remember you will likely be paying nightly or weekly rates rather than getting better monthly deals. Join a couple of campground membership schemes as you can save a lot that way.

4) Don't forget to cost a tow car (plus upto $3k for full tow package) into your figures - you WILL need a tow car, trust me.

Anything else, just ask.

Paul

steve-hazel said:
I understand that many people will spend more on a 1 week vacation.  But as we will be travelling for 7 months we need to keep the costs as low as possible.
I dont believe the children need to go to theme parks to have a good time. lol.

You're right about that Hazel... after the years pass, the kids will remember the overall trip and the great family time.  Not the Dumbo ride and overpriced concession-stand food.  ;)  Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but also buy a Passport America membership card... $44/year, and gets you 50% off at thousands of CG's nationwide.  www.passportamerica.com  I'll be a member as of this week, so if you want to join I'd be happy to officially refer you to take advantage of the membership referral promotion they currently have running.  ;) 

Planning ahead is key, which I'm sure you will do.  Balance that with a certain amount of impulsiveness, which seems like half the fun of camping.  A 7-month trip is almost like full-timing for that period of time, so I wouldn't think your daily expenses (food, water, clothing, etc.) will be any higher than if you were sitting at home.  And with a few exceptions (like all the expensive meat discussed here so far), if you are thrifty at home you'll be thrifty on the road... and vice versa.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom