Couple LED projects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailorkane

To me, the most elegant projects are ones that give me pleasure and cost very little.  A couple recent LED projects met this criteria.  I noticed that the grab handle, of clear plastic, could be lit and some coaches do have this feature.  So I bought a T10-type blue led used for car license plates.  Soldered a pigtail to it, stuck it into the end of the handle and wired it to the porch light switch.  Results in photos. 
Also, got a short strip of blue led lighting and wired it to the same porch light switch.  Again, I like the effect.
Note it would be easy (and I might do this as well) to have these lights also come on with the kwikee light when the door opens or closes.  Just have to add a diode for each power source to avoid the step also lighting the porch light, or the porch light activating the step.

Attachments

• blue handle&step 10pc.jpg
    blue handle&step 10pc.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 136
  • bulb pigtail 10pc.jpg
    bulb pigtail 10pc.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 100
  • blue light bulb.jpg
    blue light bulb.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 119
It looks great Sailorkane.  Now I have another project.  (One of many I may add).  But it definitely does have that "cool effect".  Randy

8) I like the Effect. Real Nice Job.

I've got all the pieces & parts to do something very similar. Thanks for the Motivation..  ;) I think I know what's On for tomorrow ?  :) ;)

Very nice!

Our Horizon came with a lighted handle but the LED started flickering and finally went south. Didn't have a white LED in the junk box so I made it red, it looks a little weird but at least it's unique.

I've added LED strip lights in some of my basement bays and recently stuck a long strip in the rear hanging locker.

Those blue handle and step lights look cool.  But please, don't leave them on all night long.  :)

Mike Leslie

Mike Leslie said:
Those blue handle and step lights look cool.  But please, don't leave them on all night long.  :)

Mike Leslie

really why not?

Were you able to separate the acrylic from the chrome on your handle?  I took mine off to see about putting a light in there, but they didn't want to come apart, and the light I had wouldn't fit down the top.

I did not separate the plastic from the chrome end fitting on the handle.  There was a small hole in the chrome end fitting.  I bought a very small led, I believe T10, used for license plates on Dodge cars.  I soldered a wire to the end--no socket.  So it fit easily into the hole.  Just slipped it in and ran the wires.

I thought a frosted plastic might have looked better, but I'm pleased with how this looks.  Its like a safety thing as well.  Light up the steps and handle when we come back in the dark. 

Sailorkane said:
I thought a frosted plastic might have looked better, but I'm pleased with how this looks.  Its like a safety thing as well.  Light up the steps and handle when we come back in the dark.

For a frosted look ?  To tone down some of the "sparkle" (?).. I've use 220 grit sand paper, or steel wool..to Very, Very lightly buff the lenses down, to where I like'm ?   

Wife sez I must have been a Moth, in a past life. I've LED'd the Pick-up & FW.. inside & out, front to rear. And added a few, to both. :) ;)

On edit: I've also LED'd our entire House now... over time.

I've done the storage bays, an Amber strip to the external radio area. Cant see the strip but it cast a nice light in there.

I want to run a pair of wires up the awning seam to run an LED strip on the awning tube. Guess the door handle is next :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom