Cover for Class C Motor Home.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fraserheight

I need some advice to buy a cover for our 30 ft Class C motor home. We are in Vancouver and first RV experience. Which Cover we should buy, what to look for in a quality cover? Thank you for your help.

Most of us don't use covers. They're difficult to put on, tend to flap in the breeze and can often wear the paint off in some spots from the flapping. And keep in mind that these rigs are designed to be out in the weather.

Still, there are some who do use covers and perhaps they can offer more thoughts for you.

We had used a cover for our tow-behind years ago but it was a pain to put on and cinch down. Plus, it made it more difficult to enter to do maintenance or periodic inspection for critters.

We do not use a cover on our MH and it simply sits in the Florida sun for months at a time, then goes on the road for months and remains uncovered. (Now I feel bad, the poor thing never gets to come in the house.)

I agree with the flapping in the wind comments as some folks report that any dust/sand under the tarp will immediately act like sandpaper on the finish.

In 2020 we used a cover from car covers.com for our fifth wheel. It was one of their top quality ones. After a year it had completely disintegrated.
When we claimed on their warranty, we found out the small print only allowed one replacement despite 5year warranty, and we had to pay carriage.
We've just fitted the replacement and will see how it fares, but I don't think we'll bother again.

I use an Adco cover on my toy hauler. Yes, it is a job to put it on, but when you do it the first time you learn the tricks. My cover is on it's third year and except for a few patch jobs around sharp edges, it is holding up fairly well.
BTW, it takes almost as long to roll it up properly as it does to install it. I place it on my driveway inside out and fold everything to the center. The roll it from the back to the front. That way I can pull it onto the trailer from the rear and lay it over the sides. A helper makes it a lot easier. About an hour from start to finish. Since it has zippers on the door side, a few straps loosened and I have access inside.

Thank you all for valuable advice. We have lots of rain and few snow patches here and there during fall and winter. And we have lots of large trees all around the house. Any way I just ordered and a Gold Shield L5 From RV Covers.ca. Just not used that last 3 weeks, fridge doors were closed and i can see Mould on some places.

I use an Adco cover on my toy hauler. Yes, it is a job to put it on, but when you do it the first time you learn the tricks. My cover is on it's third year and except for a few patch jobs around sharp edges, it is holding up fairly well.
BTW, it takes almost as long to roll it up properly as it does to install it. I place it on my driveway inside out and fold everything to the center. The roll it from the back to the front. That way I can pull it onto the trailer from the rear and lay it over the sides. A helper makes it a lot easier. About an hour from start to finish. Since it has zippers on the door side, a few straps loosened and I have access inside.
Thank you all for valuable advice. We have lots of rain and few snow patches here and there during fall and winter. And we have lots of large trees all around the house. Any way I just ordered and a Gold Shield L5 From RV Covers.ca. Just not used that last 3 weeks, fridge doors were closed and i can see Mould on some places.
@gwinger thank you for letting me know how to put up and unfold. It may help me a lot. When times come. Thanks

FWIW, I covered both our 5ers with a farm tarp from Harbor Freight, never was there any damage to the 5ers from being covered with a cheap tarp.
I bought some eyelets and installation tool along with the new tarp, then proceeded to install an eyelet every 2' of the tarps edges. I also bought 2 bags of elastic bungee cords to use with the eyelets.
The tarp was taut without any loose ends or folds.
Each $70 tarp lasted about 3-4 years before it was destroyed by sun-rot.
Yes it was a chore to carry the tarp onto the roof and spread it out. If it was the least bit breezy, I waited until the air was still.

Now, the cover for this MH cost $18,000; it's 60' deep X 40' wide X 15' high, with a 20' sliding door.

We have lots of rain and few snow patches here and there during fall and winter. , fridge doors were closed and i can see Mould on some places.
In a wet climate ventilation is critical. Since you bought a cover try to put wood blocks or something to allow some air circulation under the cover.

1. I tried an Adco cover that was advertised to be breathable. In our wet climate condensation still formed under the cover. The entire covered part of the trailer was green with mold the next spring. The mold did some permanent damage to the paint. With no cover any mold is minimal.

2. Even after a through drying after use I have to leave the fridge doors open when stored or mold will form inside it. Anything almost airtight but has any air leaks will get moldy. I have to keep 2 big tubs of DampRid desiccant inside the RV at all times.

2. Even after a through drying after use I have to leave the fridge doors open when stored or mold will form inside it. Anything almost airtight but has any air leaks will get moldy. I have to keep 2 big tubs of DampRid desiccant inside the RV at all times.
I remember back in the day when RV fridges came with a pin on a chain to hold the door shut during travel that there was a second hole in the bracket to hold the door partially open during periods of storage to keep mold from growing.

I used a cover once on my prior motorhome. Stored the rig in my buddy's yard in the country. Mice used the cover as a cargo net to crawl up onto the roof and into the AC units and AC ducts in the rig. The following Spring/Summer when we used the ACs for the first time mouse turds and chewed styrofoam flew through the air like it was snowing. They also chewed a large 3 ft. section in a V shape on the cover. Never used the cover again.

Back
Top Bottom