Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tark

Hello from Texas

I'm fairly new to the camper world we just bought a 30' bumper pull back in December. The Texas summers are brutal so I'm looking for a cover to protect our camper from the heat. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Aaron

Your summer heat is no different than Central Idaho heat. I've been range from 105-117*F here. The 117*F was max this year already.  :eek: The only cover I use is a tree. I've got my RV parked under shade of a spruce tree and the temps are very mild inside.

I just bought a new travel trailer and bought a fitted cover, but only for when I put the trailer away for the winter. Right or wrong it just seems that the camper will do better under a lined cover keeping the snow and ice off it as well as the UV in the sunlight while it sits unmoved all winter. Even my little camper will be a chore to get the cover on, so I can't imagine using a cover routinely when camping just to give it a barrier from the heat (which might not help anyway).

I don't have a shad tree where I park my travel trailer so this is why I am looking for a cover.  I have seen the wear on several boats from sitting in the direct sunlight year after year I would imagine it would be the same for a camper.  Just wanting to know what the recommended brand of cover is.

The cover will do nothing for the heat, but will help with UV damage.  Keep in mind that a poor fitting cover will do just as much damage as the sun when it flaps around in the wind and rubs dust and dirt into the paint. 

My in laws have an ADCO cover on theirs for the winter and to protect from leaves (we live in a heavily wooded area).  It has left scratches and rub marks on the paint due to it being a "one size fits all" cover.  It is now three years old and is probably going to last one more year.  They do get tears and rips from random things (wind usually).  I'd be very careful selecting anything heavier, I am a fairly healthy large man and have to struggle to get it on for them in the fall (with help).

Another thing to think about with covers is the danger you're putting yourself in every time you put it on or remove it.

A cover becomes a humongous sail in just a little bit of wind and some of them, Tyvek especially, are as slippery as whale snot if you step on them.  Combine both of those factors and there is a real danger of falling off the roof.  One fall is all it takes to ruin your day/week/month/year/life.

I bought a Tyvek cover and used it 3 times.  I almost got blown off the roof twice and decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Thanks for the feedback, y'all brought up several things that I would have never thought of.

By the time you get to 15-20 year of age on the RV they desire to have their imperfections like UV fade stickers and such. Heck even my pickup is a 2002 and its got its small dents, scratches, etc. Because I use it not hide it in the shop from the weather.  Just like my 2000 Jayco its got faded stickers and some oxidation on the fiberglass. I think the whole covering and worrying about the RV is bit extreme personally. I say buy it, use it, and enjoy it.  Most people in 5-10 year typically are looking to upgrade RV's just like vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom