Crabbing West Coast style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The perfect Oregon dinner... Fresh caught crabs and clam chowder on Bastendorf beach in Coos Bay with a campfire and good friends.

Attachments

• crabs.jpg
    crabs.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 10
Years ago I went crabbing from the south jetty in Florence Or. using old fish guts for bait and caught a chicken hind quarter.  :eek:

Looked into the water and saw a couple of scuba divers looking up laughing. I gave the chicken back to the guy whose bait they had taken.

cadee2c said:
Years ago I went crabbing from the south jetty in Florence Or. using old fish guts for bait and caught a chicken hind quarter.  :eek:

Looked into the water and saw a couple of scuba divers looking up laughing. I gave the chicken back to the guy whose bait they had taken.
We were given nets with chicken pieces attached with wire, the crabs loved it.

Pugapooh said:
Dipped in mayo?  Ya'll don't eat them right. 

My mom always dipped artichokes in mayo but she was a CA girl by birth.  Not like she could help it.  Lol.

Don't eed mayo on a Chesapeake Blue to get good taste. And I'm not sure where that crab boil stuff came from. Probably Martha Stewart or some out of stater. Nobody from Maryland or Delmarva would ever boil a crab. Steamed, a bit... of beer in the water, some Old Bay, or my favorite Wye River.. food fit to eat.

We have a flock of chickens and they have become "expendable" now that we starting RVing.  There is a guy in Boring (Oregon) who will take then and "finish them off" in a way that makes ideal crab bate.  I believe he ensures they are frozen with much of the blood still in them.  It is kind of gross - but all in a good cause.

We are going to Florence this weekend - Sea Perch is one of our favorite places.  Right on the beach. 

Cooperhawk said:
I have never had Abalone.  Whenever I was on the west coast there was a shortage.
You can tell from the price of dinner and a show that those were the "good ol' days".  Now you have to dive for them yourself, peel them off the rocks, or have a friendly neighbor who will share.  So good!

I never had any crab that wasn't from the Pacific, but I can tell you that Dungeness are always highly regarded by those that have had crab from the Gulf and east coast. We just finished the last of my catch from Monday's trip. The commercial's are on hold for a couple more weeks due to low meat content from crabs caught in test pots by the state fish and game. The area I'm crabbing have had full body crab, after crabs molt and grow a bigger shell, it takes a few weeks for them to fill out. Abalone has been hit hard by red tides and the problem with people poaching and selling to the black market, easily sold china town in SF. Now the entire state has a closure till further notice, which I feel it'll never be back open for us sport divers. Abalone has got be the best eating seafood there is. I don't think I have seen anyone not like it, including people that I had try it that swore they hated any seafood or fish. Cooperhawk, I have taken abalone back to the family on trips, they all loved it. I have also brought back to Ca. Walleye caught in Lake of the Woods on many of my trips, that is top shelf eating right there. We don't have Walleye here, and guys I tell about it don't understand how a lake fish can be right up there with fresh seafood. My sister and brother miss the good Mexican food we have where I live. Its amazing how the difference's from different parts of the country the food taste,,,gregg

haha, must have hit the bold button,lol

Our delight in traveling is trying all the local cuisine around the country.  I would love to try Abalone someday.  I lived in Maryland and Virginia for almost twenty years and really got hooked on steamed crabs and shrimp.  The oysters were really good there as well. 

Now in Minnesoooota ,(the land of 10,000 taxes), Walleye is the fish to eat.  It's really a sweet tasting white flesh fish if you take the skin off, but a Fish Boil in northern Wisconsin with native White Fish is pretty darn good as well.  OK, then there are smelt and herring out of the Great Lakes.  Hey they're good too.

When I lived out east it was hard to find good grain fed beef steaks.  They have everyone brainwashed that grass fed or range beef is better.  No, no, hell no!  Here in the Midwest that's all we eat.  Really good.

Then we Winter sometimes in Texas and I find that seafood out of Galveston Bay is spectacular.  Really good shrimp.  We feast on fresh seafood while we're down there.  Oh, and then there are the Craydads.  I have grown very fond of them.

But then let's not forget the BBQ.  Man, Texas has some good BBQ, but so does Memphis.  Oh wait, forgot about Carolina BBQ.

Damn, I'm hungry.

Back
Top Bottom