Cross chains on TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eliallen

I read in another post to cross the safety chains when you hook up your trailer. Which I all ways do,(saved my boat once). We traded our 5W in on a TT. When the dealer went to hook up the chains,they were too short to cross. He just hooked them up straight. Will the chains really hold a 8000 pound trailer?

Two of them probably will, assuming they were properly rated in the first place. If you replace them with longer chains, make sure the chain is rated at least at 5000# per chain.

There are a lot of different strengths of chains - always check the rating.

Some setups you cannot cross.  I have a single long chain that is attached by a single point in the middle of the chain giving me two sections to attach to the truck.  So the chain is V shaped when hooked up.  Hard to make a X with a V.

I never had a TT drop onto the chains, but did have a construction materials trailer drop.  The crossed chains did a pretty good job of keeping everything together until I got the truck stopped.  The owner of the old truck (an old cheapskate) had someone weld the hitch on who obviously didn't know a welding rod from a gray pencil.  Bracket held, but the receiver tube popped off.

Moral - I say modify the rig so the chains can be crossed, and like Gary says - check the rating of the chain, should be on the barrel the chain is shipped in, don't forget the links you use to connect the pieces together need the rating as well.  The "weakest link" thing.

johncmr

The reason for crossed chains is if your ball breaks, or the coupler comes un-hooked, the trailer will fall into the cross and not hit the ground like it would thru straight chains.

I understand many States require the chains to be crossed - Don't get crossed up without crossed chains out there across our vast crossroads...Huh?  :eek:

GTS said:
The reason for crossed chains is if your ball breaks, or the coupler comes un-hooked, the trailer will fall into the cross and not hit the ground like it would thru straight chains.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Marc L said:
Some setups you cannot cross.  I have a single long chain that is attached by a single point in the middle of the chain giving me two sections to attach to the truck.  So the chain is V shaped when hooked up.  Hard to make a X with a V.
Yah, mine are the same way - they cross at about the 2nd link under the A-frame.

Eliallen - here was my solution to too short chains: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=23385.msg225971#msg225971. Scroll about 3/4 of the way down to see photos. It's a little bulky but works well. I have since shortened the 4 extra links to 1 for the perfect lenth.

Joe

My chains are OK, I don't know why the dealer could not cross them. thank for all the response.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom