Cruising speed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skyking1 said:
WA has a tow speed limit like CA, so NOW I stick with 55~60. I say now because one time I ran hard across the state to Idaho at ~72ish. Heavy on the ish.
I knew better and know better. Nothing bad happened, lucky us.
In state, I can find a proper trucker and form up a nice distance behind him, and enjoy the safety of a second set of eyes up ahead. I stay back and don't push, leave room for others to pass. When we part ways it is usually with a flash of lights and a wave.

Most of the large trucking companies skimp on tire cost, (I've seen casing ages over 10 years) trailers are dropped for days at a time at shippers and receivers, tires are usually "kicked" not gauged, watch for gators! 

I wouldn't follow any closer than 7 full seconds behind any truck, when that tire blows, it can cause lots of damage.

That's the nice distance I am talking about. We've all been too close at some time in our lives to be totally taken by surprise at some road junk that 'appears' in front of us. I don't care for that feeling.

Joezeppy said:
The first thing I thought about was those "Bridge freezes before roadway" signs but I knew that was not the issue here. Bouncing - that makes sense - some of those bridge transitions can be brutal.

As for the cancel button vs. brake debate, here's my $.02: I use the cancel button for "regular" disengagement of cruise. I find it a smoother transition, especially when going uphill. The brake pedal, however, is my natural go-to method for quick/emergency situations.

Fair enough, this is basically down to preference and routine.  Don't get me wrong, I go for the brake pedal plenty during the trips, however have just gotten used to using the button when the bridge is upon us, then move finger to the resume after the bridge.  Anyone that travels Interstate 95 knows some kind of routine is necessary, that's for sure!  Bottom line point is, anyone that uses cruise control needs to be aware that bridges may cause a potentially dangerous situation when towing trailers and 5Vers.  Also, I've read many asking about the dolphin, bouncing and other situations with towing, slow down when this starts, that's pretty basic, unless of course you don't mind the completely uncomfortable and possibly dangerous situation!!!

I pull my TT between 55 and 65, no faster.  It also will depend on the roads.  I have no problem with people passing me.  I'm not in a hurry when pulling my TT.

Like this poor soul found out about what a frost heave will do to his RV.
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af173/Ex03AK/Moving%20to%20Utah/image.jpg

Just traveling to fast and couldn't react to the change in road conditions so his RV took the damage.

Mopar1973Man said:
Like this poor soul found out about what a frost heave will do to his RV.
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af173/Ex03AK/Moving%20to%20Utah/image.jpg

Just traveling to fast and couldn't react to the change in road conditions so his RV took the damage.

Speed is only one factor in that pic.  I'd venture to say overloaded tongue weight was a contributing factor.... :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffeegal
Back
Top Bottom