Cultural (In)Sensitivities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Either way, I could not understand a single word they said!

-Don- Reno, NV
I worked with a pair of Cockneys for a number of years, and remained friends for many more years. Got used to hearing & understanding it. Didn't attempt to use it myself.

A Scottish-born friend used to put on his best Scottish accent and use a long unintelligible term that he heard his father use many times while growing up. It sounds like he's swearing. But, when he asked what it meant, his Dad replied "the names of 3 towns in Scotland".

We visited Wales when we lived in England. Saw some of this.
Most road signs in Wales are dual language. Welsh place names are usually descriptive of the place e.g. the first 4 letters of that sign "Llan" mean church in English, and the last 4 letters "goch" mean red. Also, Welsh grammar is similar to French (adjective follows the noun). Here's one translation/interpretation:

"[The] church of [St.] Mary (Llanfair) [of the] pool (pwll) of the white hazels (gwyn gyll) near to [lit. "over against"] (go ger) the fierce whirlpool (y chwyrn drobwll) [and] the church of [St.] Tysilio (Llantysilio) of the red cave (-ogo[f] goch)".

Most Welsh place names are nowhere near as long as the one in your photo. IIRC it was dreamed up by someone wanting to create a tourist attraction. Selfies hadn't been invented, but it helped sell a lot of postcards.

Back
Top Bottom