Cummins code SPN 95 FMI 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackrobnett

Anyone ever have this code? It relates to fuel pressure. In addition my MH dies at least once a day when coming to a complete stop. This does not register a code. The freightliner dealer cannot fnd the problems. (at least not yet, only been in the shop two weeks.)

Not sure which model you have but a 95/16 is a filter restriction. What has the shop done in two weeks? Since you have a 2015 I would consider all possibilities including the wrong filter being used, plugged filter and also a pinched fuel line. Did you just purchase it or have you put 10K miles on it without problem? It would be helpful to describe exactly when the engine dies also. Is it more likely to die right after exiting freeway speeds and coming to a stop on the exit ramp, or, after start up and just going through town and stopping? Do you notice a loss of power at higher RPM's such as climbing a hill or does the engine seem to run fine most of the time. 
Of course all ECU/EUI programming would come into play as the ECU controls the injectors and they say how much fuel but look for the dumb stuff first since it is new. Good luck with it and let us know what you find.

It only dies when coming to a complete stop. And only at 2mph or slower. Putting it in neutral or giving it fuel will not stop it from happening. Allison reset the transmission computer, no help.  Freightliner tightened grounds and checked connections, no help. All gauges work and it does not loose electric power when this happens. Usually once a day, but sometimes three or four times, sometimes none. Started doing it about 7000 mi. Usually in the morning, sometimes when backing out of the driveway. Always re starts and runs like nothing is wrong. Never sets a code.

The fuel filter differential pressure data valid but above normal operating range stated on the same trip but 700 miles later. Usually happens after driving awhile and under a load like going uphill. The check engine light will reset itself and run for an hour or so and the come back on. Sometimes it reduces power and some times it does not. New filters were installed at 9000 mi. They had no effect on the problem.

Freight liner thinks these are not related. I thint its a fuel rail perssure issue, maybe a sensor.

You have a 12v electric pump that feeds you mechanical lift pump until the engine starts. It has a check valve in the fuel line between it and the MLP. When the engine runs the MLP takes over feeding the high pressure fuel pump and the electric pump drops offline. From the fuel tank through to the HPFP you should see around 75 psi on the low side. You need to install a gauge in this line to watch it. Again, since your rig is pretty new and since most of the electronics are usually bulletproof I'm thinking you have an intermittent problem caused by something like garbage in the fuel tank blocking flow or maybe gunk in the check valve on the electric pump, etc. You can have a shop install a gauge to make sure you stay in the low side (high side can be up to 30k psi, do not mess with any lines when engine is running) and this will at least help to track down the problem. If you see the low side drop off when the engine is stalling you have narrowed down the issue to help with troubleshooting. There are other issues like the fuel pressure regulator, control actuator and the most common, relief valve in the end of the fuel rail but these are not as likely since they are all on the high side and you are only throwing codes on the low side. (The shop can always do tests on the relief valve etc if you see nothing on the low side.) Also, if it was a high side problem in the fuel rail the shop probably would have seen it with the laptop and, it is more prone to stay leaking internally once it starts. I'm thinking the low side is more prone to stupid stuff like dirty fuel etc. which can starve the lift pump and cause a problem, then go away. Cant help much more on the newer engines so hope this give you some ideas.

Thanks for the info. Its been in the Freightliner shop for three weeks. Unable to find any pressure problems. Freightliners 24/7 is very helpful, as is the local shop, and directed the shop to change the ECM. They think terminal 5 from the ignition switch is losing signal causing the ECM to think the key is off. They scoped the fuel tank and there appears to be some slag in the tank. They are going to try to flush it out. Hopefully this will fix the issues. The above code has several items that can cause it. It would be nice if one code only had one fix.

I do not know if this has anything to do with the issues, but my ScanguageD shows 0 TPS most of the time when driving and all of the time while idling.

If pin 5 is losing a signal they could jumper it for testing, otherwise it's the ECM replacement solution. It's very possible the ECM is going bad but not the first choice for sure. Also, don't give up on the low pressure side too soon. If they didn't think the low pressure side was the problem they wouldn't be scoping/flushing tank. Unfortunately the codes only point in the direction of the best guess if you know what I mean. Their are simply way too many options to cause one to come up to actually point out a single cause sometimes.  Hope they figure it out for you soon.

Back
Top Bottom