Cybertruck trailer brake control screen capture.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viajeros

Looks interesting. Seems like lots of control options. I wonder what trailer alarm means.

IMG_7810.jpeg

What does trailer alarm mean?
Good question hopefully ye old owners' manual will explain but I'd guess some kind of failure lie
"The trailer came disconnected" while in motion.. brake failure or something of that nature.

All that is needed for Cybertruck long range towing is pull-through 800-volt V4 Supercharger stations. Otherwise, "they will keep (current 400-volt) chargers busy for longer periods of time."

Those prices are so far out of the range of most consumers as to be laughable.
It's still cheaper than taking kids to Disneyland...

It's still cheaper than taking kids to Disneyland...

1- Nick Cannon can afford it; 2- Nick is an idjit for wasting money like that.

$80k for a pickup....hmm... Have you been truck shopping lately?

Then again, $80k is cheap for a 911 that seats 5 and can go to Home Depot and tow a trailer.

I wouldn't call that trailer screen overly complex.

My RAM has a similar screen with other options - like 5 presets (I think 5) - trailer brake "aggressiveness" has me curious...

Regen braking has me curious... I mean trailers don't have wheel generators do they?

trailer brake "aggressiveness" has me curious...
How so? Most trailer brakes have both Gain and Aggressiveness settings (sometimes called Boost or Sensitivity). It's basically a measure of how quickly the controller ramps up to full braking. It's a very critical setting for non-proportional controllers, but not so much for fully proportional systems.

Regen braking has me curious... I mean trailers don't have wheel generators do they?
Maybe an option to have the trailer brake or not brake based on what regen setting is on the truck? With regen "braking", you don't use the brake pedal which traditionally would mean no trailer brakes. Just a guess.

Huh, I wonder why the Rivian only qualifies for half the tax subsidy.

As far as street prices go, my buddy has a ford dually diesel rolling wifi hotspot he's got north of $90K into. Another group I hang with has humvees, I see the cybertruck as just a nerd version of one of those. It's not about practical or even better than something else. Ask any Harley owner.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

How so? Most trailer brakes have both Gain and Aggressiveness settings (sometimes called Boost or Sensitivity). It's basically a measure of how quickly the controller ramps up to full braking. It's a very critical setting for non-proportional controllers, but not so much for fully proportional systems.

Understood - mine must be fully proportional as I don't have that setting. Assuming that fully proportional is more advanced, I am surprised this fancy truck doesn't have fully proportional.

It would be worth a read of the owner's book to understand it all.
Maybe an option to have the trailer brake or not brake based on what regen setting is on the truck? With regen "braking", you don't use the brake pedal which traditionally would mean no trailer brakes. Just a guess.

I am thinking something similar. There must be some fancy engineering involved. Consider a very heavy trailer. Now we reduce the trailer braking to increase the vehicle regen.

In theory we are compromising trailer braking/balance to get more regen. Also what is the capacity of the regen generators? We are now adding a lot of regen into the regen system. All that energy has to be absorbed somewhere...

Understood - mine must be fully proportional as I don't have that setting. Assuming that fully proportional is more advanced, I am surprised this fancy truck doesn't have fully proportional.
Just out of curiosity, what system do you have? It's rare to not have some sort of control for that, but the label on the function varies. We should probably take this to a private conversation since it is far off the Cybertruck subject. I'll start one up.

As far as street prices go, my buddy has a ford dually diesel rolling wifi hotspot he's got north of $90K into. Another group I hang with has humvees, I see the cybertruck as just a nerd version of one of those. It's not about practical or even better than something else. Ask any Harley owner.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The partial credit has to do with meeting requirements specified in the 2023 Inflation Reduction Act. In short, qualifying EV's must be manufactured in North America and source at least 40% of its battery materials or recycle them domestically or with free trade partners. They now qualify for a partial credit, and will be planning to source 80% of battery/critical materials within the requirements by 2027.

Re the regen question on the screen shot. Just a guess but maybe it has an affect on the change of inertial force when the cars (truck, SUV) regen braking kick in. So for example we can do 12 percent grades downhill without touching the brakes. On long descents like the kootenays pass on highway 3 we have added 11 percent back to the battery and that was at 3 degrees celcius (at the summit anyway). I wouldn’t want the trailer brakes to come on in that type of situation but in slippery conditions it might be good to have the trailer do some of that braking. Maybe that’s what this control does.

Just a guess. Not an expert. Not sure I explained that well.

Heads up. Our trailer is only 3350 pounds. With heavier trailers maybe one would have to use the brake pedal.

IMG_7060.jpeg

$80k for a pickup....hmm... Have you been truck shopping lately?

Then again, $80k is cheap for a 911 that seats 5 and can go to Home Depot and tow a trailer.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I got my 2023 RAM in March for noticeably less than $50k. I could have gotten a Chevy 2500 or Ford F-250 for even a couple thousand less, if they would have allowed me to order what I wanted.

I got my 2023 RAM in March for noticeably less than $50k. I could have gotten a Chevy 2500 or Ford F-250 for even a couple thousand less, if they would have allowed me to order what I wanted.

The Cybertruck isn't meant to compete with a $40k-$50k 1500 or lightly optioned 2500. It has some flavors and capabilities of such, but isn't one of those trucks. If you buy a high performance version of a gas pickup (TRX?) then you're spending Cybertruck money and then some for less performance.

Kind of like the Porsche 911 wasn't meant to compete with the VW Beetle...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom