Dash air vents only blow thru defrost vents on Ford chassy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lezmark

A couple years ago right before a trip the same thing happened - no matter where the switch is set, the air vents blow thru the dash defrost vents, not so good for a/c! My mechanic went under the hood on the passenger side and said a hose (pretty sure it must be a vacuum to open and close vents)  was rubbing and fixed it very quickly (couple minutes) and i was on my way. Anyway, I cant get to him or anyone right now and figure it cant be that hard to figure out. Anyone point me in the right direction before I go poking around?

I agree,  On GM products the default should you loose vacuum is the Defroster.  Not sure what it is on fords.

But that is the most likely option.. Also, at some point there is a manufold like connector (Several vacuum hoses hooked up) On my last car at one point they did some work,,, and forgot to re-connect it.

Same thing with my 03 F250 Powerstroke. Does anyone know where this manifold is on that vehicle. I've looked under the dash, I've looked under the hood, haven't crawled underneath tho maybe thats next. Anyway, its been pretty low priority since the AC does work in that position (just not good airflow where you want it for cooling) and if its going to be stuck somewhere safety-wise I'd rather have defrost than not.

Anyway, if someone could pinpoint the probable location of the vacuum line connectors and how to get there I might could rachet up the priority..thanks....

While we are looking for this...where would it be located on Ford V10 Winnebago Brave? I also get a service engine soon light that points to a vacuum leak ??? .

If I remember correctly the vacuum motor for the damper is under the dash on the passenger side of the transmission hump.  The connections are all right behind the control.  You may have to remove some sound panels to get to them though.

I know someone must know what to look for. I pulled the engine cover off and opened the front hatch and everything seems pretty accessable. I cant hear any sounds of a leak but I guess that would make it too simple to track. I looked hard and nothing seems obvious...

The "Tap" on the engine system is often on the vacuum assist braking where the big hose comes in (part of the check valve)

Loss of vacuum may indicate any of the following:
Engine problems
Hose "Manufold to brakes" cracked
Problem with the vacuum assist unit (Leaking)
Problem with Cruise Control (leaking)
Cracked or broken hose anywhere in the environment control system, or cruise control system.
Disconnected hose, likewise anywhere in the environment or cruise systems.

Your problem could also be caused by a defective control or a busted vacuum motor on the heater/defroster system.

[size=24pt][size=18pt]FIXED IT FOR  $.42!!!! [size=14pt]spent a lot of time searching on line and it appears this is not an unusual problem. Somewhere I saw that the hoses connect to a semi round plastic "ball". I remember seeing something like that! Right there in front above the battery was this thingy. I followed one of the lines to find it was almost broken in two! It was a thin hard plastic that seems to have worn at the firewall. I snipped off an end and took it to the local auto parts store and asked them to match up a vacuum hose that this hard line would fit into. Piece of cake. Since I was on a roll i also asked for 6 inches of another piece of hose that I could use to insert this new hose into as further protection going thru the firewall. Come back and slide the pieces together and everything  works just like new! I love it when I can fix things, save money and learn something. I have to believe other others have had or will have this problem and you need to know how easy a fix this can be. 

The semi-round plastic ball is the vacuum reservoir for the auxiliary vacuum devices such as airconditioning moters, speed control motors (on older vehicles). I need to find it on my coach as a test point to see if it is receiving or holding vacuum as it should...the weather really needs to warm up, 220 with windchill at 60. :mad:

Good job :)

bobsharon said:
The semi-round plastic ball is the vacuum reservoir for the auxiliary vacuum divices such as airconditioning moters, speed control motors (on older vehicles). I need to find it on my coach as a test point to see if it is receiving or holding vacuum as it should...the weather really needs to warm up, 220 with windchill at 60. :mad:

Good job :)
Since I have the same motor you do, I bet yours is in the same place! The line that broke goes up around and down to another gizmachee that is lower and right below the passenger seat. I hope you are as lucky as I was.

lezmark said:
I hope you are as lucky as I was.

So do I! Maybe next week...it gets above freezing here in Waco, TX. :)

Better send this before we get hit with another rolling blackout. (insufficient generating capacity in Texas)

Bob

My vent problem identified and resolved.
I had one hose under the dash come loose and one under the hood that was splt. Connected the one and replaced the other.
Now air comes out the vents as designed :) .
The service engine soon issue has not been verified.

Back
Top Bottom