Dash cam in Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a mobius that I occasionally mount with a suction cup on the windshield, but it's not a permanent thing, nor do I use it all the time. For full time I'd look for something more, but for me the mobius ( see http://mobius-actioncam.com/ ) does the job well, and its 1080i footage is excellent.

We tried one of the no name dash cams (paid $80 for it) bought off Ebay.  It would not stay in the record mode, the 'chinglish' instructions were impossible to interpret, and the seller never responded to questions.

We were on a long trip so got a GoPro at Best Buy.  It works great, easy to use, instructions are clear.  It has a Bluetooth feature that allows you to control it from a smart phone.... you can play back video thru your phone, via a PC, etc.  You can program it to record in a loop with you specifying the length of each segment.

We have a GoPro that is on a pad similar to the one we use for our GPS.  It works great except that the battery seems to run out after about an hour of continuous recording.  The case does not allow for it to be charging while in use.  I will be trying to get a different case and charger that I hope will resolve that issue.

I've used dash cams for a couple of years now. In the MH I use(d) a regular video camera with a 32 gig card. It gives about 5 hours of recording. I have a short tripod that it sits on with a beanbag to keep it in place. Works well and you only need to remember to turn it on each day and erase the card before it gets full. It's great to have video of cars pulling in front of you.

In my car I have a Kim Komando dash cam ($100) which suction cups to the windshield, mines at the top. It plugs into a cigarette lighter that goes on and off with the key. It automatically turns on and off that way It have a 32 gig card also and will automatically re-write over the oldest files when full. Pretty much no fuss no muss to use. It does take some effort to understand the instructions written in chenglish. Once it's set up though it has worked flawlessly.

I have on order, since Monday 2 of the G1W-C dash cams. One will go in the toad and one in the MH. They recieve the best reviews of all the lower end dash cams. Multiple sites claim they are the best. They do not have the current fad of GPS recording. I would not want some eager lawyer going back to see if I'd been speeding or doing something else that might damage my claim sometime in the past 32 gigs of data.

The G1W comes two ways, with a small battery or with a capacitor. The capacitor version ( c after the model # ) is supposed to be better for hot environments. I sometimes forget my GPS in the car and it has given me the overheat screen in AZ in the springtime. So, I went with the capacitor model which means it has just enough energy to save the file when it loses power, but the battery doesn't overheat and shut the unit down.

We'll see how well one of them performs in a week or so, once I get it installed in the PU (toad).

Ken

jsetti said:
We have a GoPro that is on a pad similar to the one we use for our GPS.  It works great except that the battery seems to run out after about an hour of continuous recording.  The case does not allow for it to be charging while in use.  I will be trying to get a different case and charger that I hope will resolve that issue.

I checked on a GoPro case that had a cut out in the side so you can leave it plugged in.  They wanted $45+ for it so I just cut a rectangular hole in the plastic case that came with the camera.  The power cord fits easily thru the hole and keeps the battery charged for as long as you drive. 

2dalake said:
I checked on a GoPro case that had a cut out in the side so you can leave it plugged in.  They wanted $45+ for it so I just cut a rectangular hole in the plastic case that came with the camera.  The power cord fits easily thru the hole and keeps the battery charged for as long as you drive.

Thanks for the idea.  I have an extra case so I will try that before I spend the $$ on the one that you mentioned.  I will still need to buy the power cord (which I think is about the same price).

jsetti said:
Thanks for the idea.  I have an extra case so I will try that before I spend the $$ on the one that you mentioned.  I will still need to buy the power cord (which I think is about the same price).

Don't spend the extra money for another cord.  I just bought one of those little 12v plugin chargers with two USB outlets at Best Buy for $15 and used the USB Charger cable that came with the camera. 

I have added two cameras to this RV. Would like to add more.

ONE is a "Side view" that is mounted directly under (Was easier than over) the fuel filler cap.. When I pull into a gas station I select this camera on the rear view monitor and when the pump is centered on the screen.. I'm good.. This is what I call a BOLT camera.. A cylinder with a ring on the lens end (like the head of a bolt) and a nut that goes on the other end, Drill the proper size hole, shove it in (A bit of sealant on the back side of the ring) apply nut and attach wires.  OH, I did hook it up to make sure I mounted it up side up.

The other is a "NOSE" camera.. This is a common household "Security" camera similar to the one that used to adorn my front door.

It feeds INPUT 2 on on of my DVRs (the bigger one) so it can record as I drive, when I can next drive, or it can see anything in front of the RV and display it on any of the TV's in the house.  This one is OUTSIDE, if I am not in motion I get both Video and Audio from the nose of the motor home.

Eventually on the "B" input for the rear view I want to mount another pair of these cameras on the rear view mirrors with an ABC switch (Which I have) to let me see what is beside the RV.. or better yet a video mixer but those are kind of above my price range.

2dalake said:
Don't spend the extra money for another cord.  I just bought one of those little 12v plugin chargers with two USB outlets at Best Buy for $15 and used the USB Charger cable that came with the camera.

I all ready use two dual 12V plugin chargers, one for the tow control and tire monitor and the second for the GPS and phone.  The phone charger does have a USB slot but the USB Charge cable is too short to reach the phone charger.  I'll keep checking all the available configurations.  I'm sure I can come up with something that will not be too expensive.

Thanks for your thoughts.

John From Detroit said:
ONE is a "Side view" that is mounted directly under (Was easier than over) the fuel filler cap.. When I pull into a gas station I select this camera on the rear view monitor and when the pump is centered on the screen.. I'm good.. This is what I call a BOLT camera..

Boy do I need that setup ... you would think by now I could accurately determine when the backend is in the correct location relative to the pump    :-[  ... still have any info on that "BOLT" camera?? 

thanks John

Howard

Those running GoPro's, just be aware that when you run off external power so the camera can record for hours, it will easily overheat without ventilation, especially the Hero3 running WiFi. The GoPro3 has a skeleton frame (not cheep) that makes a huge difference when doing this, but even being in the sun can contributes to this.

I have a friend that records his kids baseball games using 3-5 GoPro's with external battery packs and says the skeleton case made all the difference for him

Having gone thru the Dash Cam Wars for some time now and buying a few. I have found that the GS1000 is the worst of the bunch. There are a lot of counterfeit ones on the market and I got one.
My next try was a DVR-207 it was not much better, the pictures in the ad seem to show a large screen but it is only 1 1/2 IN square very small compared to the G1W.
If you read Dash Cam Talk you will see that the G1W is the best rated for the low priced ones. It has a large screen,2.5 by 1.5 in a much larger screen that is easier to see when setting up. The set up on it is easier than the others with easy to follow instructions.

This seller is where I got my last one and is fast and reliable and has the highest rating that I have found.

I have had great luck with mine and have had no problems with over 200 hours of recording. The picture is great and quality is much better than all the others that I have used, for the price it cant be beat.

DoD LS430 works I have used for several years.
Just got car back from repairs after hit-and-run driver. Capture vehicle, license plate and event on dash cam police and insurance company were very happy

I have the DVR 207 and it has worked fine for two years now.  I need one more for the DW Durango.  It is mounted low on the windshield near the center.  Gets great video of everything in front of me.

I've had good luck so far with the Ebay no-names. At less than $30 if one dies I'm not out much.. Started with one for my RV then put in both of our cars, too. All 3 (each different) have worked well. Maybe I should start buying lotto tickets?

Interesting discussion of pros and cons. I'm wondering more about why? OK I'm a newby (or wannabe) as I haven't got my MH yet but I hadn't thought of recording my travels. Security I can see but..

What do you all record that is worth the investment in cams etc..

BuySide said:
Interesting discussion of pros and cons. I'm wondering more about why? OK I'm a newby (or wannabe) as I haven't got my MH yet but I hadn't thought of recording my travels. Security I can see but..

What do you all record that is worth the investment in cams etc..
Not strictly a motorhome device.
I have had one in my car for several years. Three months ago I was involved in an auto accident...traveling down a road with three west bound lanes in the center lane. A car pulled out of a side street and pulled out into the side of my car. Individual then decided to depart the scene. I had captured on my dash camera video of him pulling out; picture of his vehicle and license plate; audio of me calling the police and reporting the accident, etc. Both the police and my insurance company (and their lawyers) appreciated the video evidence.
That is the only reason I have the dash-cam...I do not try to capture scenic vistas although the video quality is real good.

We had a car turn in front of us, we narrowly escaped an accident. Had there been a crash the video would show other cars actions prior to the crash. Claims that we sped up, failed to brake, etc. could all be laid to rest with the evidence on video. Your speed can be calculated by the video. Who was in what lane can be verified. Who was driving the other vehicle can be proven.  Weather conditions, road surface conditions, possible witnesses are all on the video.

I use mine for accident verification. You'd be amazed at how many people will pass a large MH and cut back in front without enough space. Or cut across to the exit. I have a piece of video where the car that cut in front headed to the exit was so close to the front of us that the license plate could not be seen below the dashboard. I have another chunk of a vehicle on the side of the road accelerating and coming into my lane without signals or warning almost clipping the front end of the MH. How could he not see us? I'm sure his story would have been that we were in the other lane and we changed on top of him.

Right now we're in Yuma, the land where when your light turns green you count to three, look both ways and then pull out. The number of red and yellow lights run in this area is amazing. If you got broadsided in an intersection, wouldn't it be nice to show the video of your light turning green with no one in the intersection?

Acccident investigation is an inexact science. Insurance payoffs seem to be a path of least resistance, because the insurance company is going to make money regardless of what they pay or don't pay.

And last but not least, sometimes when I review what looked like a close call, I see that maybe I made a mistake. Hard to believe, but sometimes I do and I can remember to try to not make that mistake again.  I have cameras in all my vehicles.

Ken

I now have on in the MH, my Jeep and the DW's Durango.  Need one more for the pickup.  I take one with me when I go on business trips to use in the rental.  It is all to protect me from accusations of others.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom