De-Winterizing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lukenick1

I never used the FW tank and only hook up to city water.  This is my first time de-winterizing on my used TT.  I was reading about sanitizing the water system but is that only necessary for use of FW tank?  I had a bypass for winterizing so I didn't even need to use the FW tank for that. Doesn't being hooked up to city water flush the system out every time we turn the faucets on?  I also use a water filter hooked up outside to  drinking water hose.  Please clear up my confusion.....thanks!

Sanitizing cleans the whole freshwater system. Even if you don't use the freshwater tank, you should sanitize it anyway. You just don't know when you might use it. The by-pass for winterizing is just to isolate the water heater so you don't have to pump 6 to 10 gallons of anti-freeze in it. Look in the library (tab located above) for sanitizing procedures (and a lot of other good information). When you sanitize, get the chlorinated water in every part of the system. Don't forget the toilet, outside shower, and low point drains. Also put the plug or anode back in the water heater and swap your by-pass valves to sanitize the water heater. I usually swap the valves after I have flushed the anti-freeze out so I don't get any anti-freeze in it. If you have an ice maker and/or a washer hook-up, don't forget to sanitize them also. Any bacteria, bad smells or bad tastes can easily spread from an untreated section of your plumbing, so be sure to get the sanitizing solution in everything.

I have a bypass for the water heater and the fresh tank.  When I winterized I stuck a separate hose installed to bypass the FW tank into the gallon of antifreeze and turned the pump on.  It sucked all the antifreeze out of the bottle and through the whole system completely bypassing the fresh water tank. 

As stated, you should do the entire system. It only takes about 30 minutes to get rid of all the antifreeze and replace it with chlorinated water. Do the Fresh water tank also. Let is sit for several hours. The water won't hurt anything. Then just flush that out if you want to. There may be a slight bleach smell after flushing but that will go away after a few days.

1/2 cup. Here's the procedure:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110:water-system-sanitizing&catid=42&Itemid=132

The reason to sanitize is the chlorine in the city water is there to assure the WATER remains clean.  There is not nearly enough chlorine in the water to sanitize anything else.

Your camper has MANY nooks and crannies for all kinds of bad stuff to hide and grow, such as the water lines, faucet aerators, etc.  By draining the antifreeze and replacing it with this chlorine rich water and allowing it time to do its' thing, the entire system should be clean and sanitary.  The problem for you is not the FW tank, it is the rest of the system.

I don't know where you travel, but we've pulled into more than one park over the years where the water, while safe to drink, tasted awful. Having a full fresh tank meant not having to use it. The park we're in right now is one of them. Edisto Beach State Park in SC even has a warning on their web page about the high salinity of the water here, giving it a very salty taste. The only thing we use it for is rinsing our feet after walks on the beach in our sandals. Everything else comes from our fresh tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom