Dead Horse Point SP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagnweiner

I'm starting to nail down the details for next June's trip West.  We would like to spend some time in the Moab area, and I am thinking about trying to reserve a few days at Dead Horse Point State Park.  We are newbies, but so far seem to prefer the state park-type setting over commercial RV parks.  Given that it will likely be rather warm in June, however, I would like to be somewhere with electric, so the BLM spots are likely out.

I understand that we will have to bring our own water at DHP, but the big question I have is whether it will accommodate our 37' DP.  I have looked at rvparkreviews.com and the reviews seem mixed.  Several say not "big-rig friendly."  I wouldn't consider 37' a "big rig", but I suppose it's close.  Does anyone have real life experience with a MH comparable in size?  Thanks in advance.

We stayed 3 nights at DHP in '11 and loved it!  The sites are not huge but we had plenty of room for our 30' Class A.  There are a few that are large enough for yours but I'd jump on the reservations ASAP.

Do not miss the sunset at the point!  I'd post a pic but it's not something we can do on this forum which is goofy, IMO, but it's not my board.... just DO NOT MISS THE SUNSET!

Karen-

I have read your other posts about DHSP, so I figured you would chime in.  Thanks for the info.  I'm going to jump on the reservations ASAP, but I believe I can only make them 4 mos out, so I'll have to wait until February.  I've already made reservations for Zion, which I'm able to do 6 mos. out.

BTW, as far as I know you should be able to post photos by clicking on the "Attachments and other options" button below.  A lot of people do.

Thanks again,

Karen-

Two more questions:

1)  I found a website (campsitephotos.com) that had photos of all the sites at DHSP.  I noticed that some of the sites that according to the map would be plenty long (>40) look like they have a really steep slope front to back, while others look relatively flat.  Is this consistent with your experience?

2)  It appears that although there is a trail that goes along the rim of the canyon, there is no access to actually hike down into the canyon from the park.  Is this correct?  Not a big deal; just wondering.

Thanks,

Some of the sites are sloped more than others.  We were in KA19 and it seems like the front end was just barely off the ground.  We didn't hike except to the visitor's center (which is nice btw) so I wasn't looking for trails into the canyon from DHP.  I don't remember seeing anything that indicated there were.  Of course, you're not far from the northern entrance to Cayonlands and there are hiking trails & jeep trails there. 

You've got to plan some time to poke around in Moab.  The Moab Brewery is a nice place for lunch and a beer!  ;)

I have pics on photobucket and was going to link to them with the IMG code so they'd pop up in the post but that doesn't seem to want to work.  I'll have to find my thumb drive with the gazillion pics of our trip and attach some when I get time.

Look on the map - there are three "pull through" sites that will be easy and should give you plenty of room for your rig. I was in site 6 a pull through in my small 5er and left the truck hooked up with plenty of room.

The sites 14,17 etc on that side are tight turn back ins and on a hill the paved part for your rig may not be level.

You will love it there...

You will see this: http://captjim.smugmug.com/Most-Recent-Favorites/2012-Trip-West/20967393_ZLb6ZC#!i=1666131785&k=NnXF6mG&lb=1&s=L

I am currently in Moab any other questions let me know.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom