Dealer and Ford can not find problem. Is it now MY responsibility??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mburns

So, we purchased a new 2010 Bounder Classic. The dash AC has never worked. We did not discover this until after we took delivery. They had both of the roof AC's cranked so we didn't even think about it. Anywho, my Fleetwood dealer states they have had it to two Ford dealers, and can't find the problem. My service rep says if they can not figure it out, I would have to take it to a Ford dealer on my own because they can not keep transporting it around.

What the heck!!??!?!? So, I'm on my own if they can't figure it out!

Has this happened to anyone? Is it true? If they can't find the problem, I have to find a Ford dealer who can (on my own dollar)??

our 2010 bounder classic 30t  is also at the dealer  waiting on parts ours had the fan quit the dealer is taking care of it under warranty isnt yours still under warranty

I would contact Ford customer service direct. If that fails Averagebob has the right idea.  Does your state have a lemon law?

One of the things that is different about RVs versus cars is that you actually have multiple warranties on various parts. You have a separate warranty from Ford on the chassis and will do better taking it direct to Ford IF it is a Ford problem.  In fact, if it is a Ford problem, it will have to be fixed by an authorized Ford service center, which generally means a Ford dealer.
The sticky part is that the dash a/c system is about half Ford and half Fleetwood, so Fleetwood & your dealer needs to isolate the problem to one half or the other.  And most dealers don't have any real a/c experts to do that. Major dealers like Lazydays in Tampa have a complete service facility that can handle anything including chassis repairs, but most dealers only have a couple  techs who are jacks of all trades.

Broadly speaking, Fleetwood provided the dash controls for the a/c, ducting and vents, heater valves, etc. Ford provided the A/c compressor and plumbing to it.  If your a/c blows air but doesn't cool, it's probably a Ford issue. If it doesn't blow air or change from heating to cooling, it's probably a Fleetwood probem.

...or perhaps you can discuss your state's lemon law with your dealer...   

cheers
geo
;)

In most states the lemon law either does not apply to vehicles larger than passenger cars, or applies only to the chassis components. Check with your states law before challenging anybody on it.

It's definitely still under warranty, the problem is that neither Ford or Fleetwood has been able to find the problem. My service rep said they were waiting for Ford to send schematics on the system. I was told Ford put 4 hours of trouble shooting and they could not find an issue, but they did acknowledge it is not blowing cold (thanks for that). We're crossing our fingers that my dealer will be able to find the prob. If so, once we're done, I will not go within 500 feet of this SoCal dealership, and I will do my best to keep others away as well. It has been hell since delivery (other than the great times we have had in the rig).

I have had so many issues with this Fleetwood dealer, this one is about to send me over the edge. I hate to say it, but would a lawyer do any good in a situation like this?

Mburns, I fear that your main problem is that you are to nice a guy.  If I had spent to money for a 2010 Fleeetwood, believe me
I would not be nice about it.  If your local Ford dealer or Fleetwood dealer will not give you any help. I would branch out.  I would be talking to any one who would or should be listening.
1. At least 2 other Ford Dealers.
2. At least 2 other Fleetwood dealers.
3. Your styate Attorney Generals Office Consumer affairs Dept.
4. Your Local TV stations (Consumer Affairs
5. If all else fails look for a JUNK JARD DOG ATTORNEY who will take the case on contingency.
In other words if you feel you have a case DON'T GIVE UP.

Well. first.. Odds are you can find a local Ford dealer who can fix it for less than you'd spend on phone calls arguing with Fleetwood.. And if you do it proper they will either send the bill to FORD or Fleetwood.

I will tell you this.. With my Damon (Workhorse chassis) Dash Air worked when new but in 2006 (january) less than a year later failed.. and trust me. not a good time. I was in Arizona at the time.

Well. The local RV dealer 1st mis-diagonsed it (and I knew for a fact they were wrong) and 2, failed to order the wrong part.. So, later that spring... I was pulling into Elkhart for another issue and Damon fixed it right there at their factory.  NOTE: This took exactly NO time since they were fixing the larger problem at the same time and that tool longer (Different techs)  Oh, they CORRECTLY diagnosed by the way.

I'd find a local ford dealer with a 13' or higher door and take it in.  Or one willing to work in the A/C in the parking lot.

I had a problem with my dash AC also on new Damon Challenger, along with about 10 other issues. It was in the dealer shop for two months. I contacted Damon VP of Marketing and explained how peeved I was and someone needs to step up and get my motorhome on the road. That worked because Damon got the dealer off their ass and got things fixed. Damon also made two months of payments and extended my warranty two months. So my point is, go as high up in the Fleetwood organization as need until you get satisfaction.

tswms said:
Mburns, I fear that your main problem is that you are to nice a guy.  If I had spent to money for a 2010 Fleeetwood, believe me
I would not be nice about it.  If your local Ford dealer or Fleetwood dealer will not give you any help. I would branch out.  I would be talking to any one who would or should be listening.
1. At least 2 other Ford Dealers.
2. At least 2 other Fleetwood dealers.
3. Your styate Attorney Generals Office Consumer affairs Dept.
4. Your Local TV stations (Consumer Affairs
5. If all else fails look for a JUNK JARD DOG ATTORNEY who will take the case on contingency.
In other words if you feel you have a case DON'T GIVE UP.

I would add:
1.5 call Ford customer service
2.5 call Fleetwood customer service

I think, if it were me, I would holster my guns until I had a better understanding of just what the Ford and Fleetwood Corporation's position is going to be.  It's unfortunate that these situations arise, but I've seen no mention yet of direct communication with either Ford or Fleetwood.  Neither, of which, keep their corporate customer service numbers secret.

Wanna borrow a jack?

EDIT - Marc, I like the way you think ;)

Sorry, Tony.  Maybe your lemon law query and detailed five step approach threw me off. ???

I really gotta ask, what sort of Ford dealer has it been to?  This thing is more a truck chassis than a car, so if it was dropped at a Ford car dealer I can see the reason for not finding the problem.  Find a Ford truck chassis dealer and I would be willing to bet it will be fixed right the first time.

Since neither your Fleetwood dealer or your local Ford dealer can find the problem I'd suggest a RV repair facility. One that just does RV's. Sometimes it is easier on your head to pay the bill rather than go back and forth with either party. Or, since you have documented the issue with Fleetwood, try to line up a trip to include a visit to their facility in Ind. A appointment is required for speedy service or you can just show up and get in line. They are real good at what they do.

1st things first.  You need to find a heavy duty ford truck dealer.  Then explain the problem to them calmly.  If it is a Fleetwood problem, be prepared to pay for the repair and then get Fleetwood to reimburse you.  A regular for dealer won't be able to diagnose and repair heavy truck stuff.  Yes they would get it right eventually, but most are not trained in hd trucks, and that is what you have.  If it is a Fleetwood problem, bite the bullet and try to get reimbursed as stated before.  Your local dealer did not sell you the chassis and therefor will not be too willing to lose time (money) on a repair that they cannot get paid for.  Having been in the Ford business forever I can sympathise with them.  So take a deep breath and know this will work itself out and you will have many years to enjoy your rig.

Thanks to everyone. This is our first rig, so still trying to understand the whole process. And you're right, I have not called Fleetwood or Ford CS.

I think we'll wait to see if Fleetwood finds the problem before shouting. It seems as though my service rep is really trying her best to figure things out. If they are not able to find the fix, then I will call Fleetwood and Ford CS before picking up the rig. I don't like to ruffle feathers until it is necessary. 

The problem is, here in Southern Cal most of the Ford freight dealers/ garages have dried up. Atleast, this is what I've been told.

Although we are grossly disappointed with Mike Thompson (Fountain Valley), I believe it is mainly pointed at their Sales team. Atleast we got a smokin' deal on the rig, and we can use the roof AC's until we figure this thing out.

Thanks again everyone. Happy trails!

We have good luck with Mike Thompson (Santa fe Springs ) when we had our Winnabago we had check engine lite issues we used Fairway ford  in Placentia they also have a RV shop they thought they fixed it but the issue came back thats when we took it to  ken Grody located in Buena Park they got it fixed along with help  from Mike Thompson (Santa fe Springs )  .  Got a call yesterday from MT  ours is ready to be picked up they were finally able to fix the fan for the dash AC & heater its been a problem since we bought it in Jan good luck with yours

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom