Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Walter Brennan...great actor. Loved his acting and his screen and even TV roles. I just recently watched Rio Bravo...great movie..Angie Dickinson was really amazing. I was really sorry to read about Brennan's views on "race", which really taints my memory of him as the colorful grumpy old guy character actor.

Walter Brennan...great actor. Loved his acting and his screen and even TV roles. I just recently watched Rio Bravo...great movie..Angie Dickinson was really amazing. I was really sorry to read about Brennan's views on "race", which really taints my memory of him as the colorful grumpy old guy character actor.
Yeah, some of these folks we grew up with ain’t what we thought they were.

Yes, some of them turned on their colleagues during the HUAC era, John Wayne and Ronald Reagan among them, two uber patriots who accidently forgot to enlist during WWII.
Wayne loved to play a soldier but certainly didn’t want to be one. You know how James Arness (Marshal Dillon) got his limp? He was really tall, 6’7”. He was on a landing craft at Anzio and the CC told him to get off first to see how deep the water was. He was severely wounded in his right leg and evacuated back to the states. He received the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

I once met Ricky Nelson in person. It was at the O'hare Airport in Chicago. The year was 1971. He was just walking down the hall, alone (if you can believe that). He stopped and talked to me a few minutes. Real nice fellow.

In actuality...

John Wayne was 34 when WWII broke out and had aged-out of military service eligibility. Also, the Army granted him a 3-a deferment as he was what they called the 'familial sole provider' of a family of 4. Ronald Reagan had enlisted and was in the 323rd Army Cavalry when WWII broke out. Lieutenant Reagan was ordered to active duty on April 19, 1942. Due to his very poor eyesight, he was classified for limited service only excluding him from serving overseas.

Both went on to make numerous movies supporting the US war effort despite being precluded from service.

He was also in the series The Real McCoys

In actuality...

John Wayne was 34 when WWII broke out and had aged-out of military service eligibility. Also, the Army granted him a 3-a deferment as he was what they called the 'familial sole provider' of a family of 4. Ronald Reagan had enlisted and was in the 323rd Army Cavalry when WWII broke out. Lieutenant Reagan was ordered to active duty on April 19, 1942. Due to his very poor eyesight, he was classified for limited service only excluding him from serving overseas.

Both went on to make numerous movies supporting the US war effort despite being precluded from service.
September 16, 1940,[1] was the first peacetime conscription in United States history. This Selective Service Act required that men who had reached their 21st birthday but had not yet reached their 36th birthday register with local draft boards. Later, when the U.S. entered World War II, all men from their 18th birthday until the day before their 45th birthday were made subject to military service, and all men from their 18th birthday until the day before their 65th birthday were required to register.[2]

September 16, 1940,[1] was the first peacetime conscription in United States history. This Selective Service Act required that men who had reached their 21st birthday but had not yet reached their 36th birthday register with local draft boards. Later, when the U.S. entered World War II, all men from their 18th birthday until the day before their 45th birthday were made subject to military service, and all men from their 18th birthday until the day before their 65th birthday were required to register.[2]
34 is a prime time in a guys life especially for a leadership role. Wayne actually deeply regretted not serving and got a lot of flake especially from his mentor John Ford for his lack of service. John Ford was in his later 40's when he served in WWII and had a family. Other examples where Clark Gable (40's) and Jimmy Stewart (30's) served with great honor and saw considerable action.

Just reading the title of this forum I knew it was going to be about the scene in Rio Bravo where they're sitting in the jail singing. One of my favorite westerns, and in my opinion immensely better than the later El Dorado, a poorer imitation.

You should forward this to Wikipedia as their article says differently.

34 is a prime time in a guys life especially for a leadership role. Wayne actually deeply regretted not serving and got a lot of flake especially from his mentor John Ford for his lack of service. John Ford was in his later 40's when he served in WWII and had a family. Other examples where Clark Gable (40's) and Jimmy Stewart (30's) served with great honor and saw considerable action.
Many actors served and many were awarded medals for their bravery. The late George Goebel was on Johnny Carson one night and talking about his military service. He was a flight instructor in the Army Air Force stationed in Frederick, Oklahoma. He said, jokingly, that he was very proud that no German or Japanese war planes got east of Oklahoma while he was stationed there. Lee Marvin was another actor that was wounded in battle.

Many actors served and many were awarded medals for their bravery. The late George Goebel was on Johnny Carson one night and talking about his military service. He was a flight instructor in the Army Air Force stationed in Frederick, Oklahoma. He said, jokingly, that he was very proud that no German or Japanese war planes got east of Oklahoma while he was stationed there. Lee Marvin was another actor that was wounded in battle.
My minister growing up Dr Marvin was Lee Marvin’s cousin. I believe Lee Marvin who was a marine was seriously injured in an very nasty island invasion in the Pacific.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom