Decisions, decisions... motorhome or 5th wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newncguys

New to the site, and we will be checking all of the resources offered here, but this is the key question.  We understand that no one here can simply give us the "correct" answer.  So we're looking for any advice, stories, pros and cons, etc etc. Here are our parameters:
1. Either a motorhome OR a 5th wheel PLUS a truck to pull it

2. About $125K max to spend

3. We plan to severely downsize and hit the road for a year or more, so we will be living in this thing

Thanks in advance for any help that comes our way!

My thought process has always been, if you're going to go someplace and stay for several weeks, I would go with a fifth wheel. If you're going to move around a lot then the MH is the way to go. Keep in mind, you'll also need to pull a vehicle also with the motorhome.  That's my opinion and I'm sure others think differently.

Motorhomes and 5ers both have pluses and minuses. I vote for a motorhome because they are so much easier to set up once you get to a campground. I also like the idea of being able to use the bathroom without going outside to change vehicles. And I like the RV because you can run the a/c while going  down the road and get to your destination with the RV already cool. And if you have pets an RV works better. But you really can't go wrong with either one, just a different experience. You might want to rent a motorhome for a weekend to help you decide.

newncguys said:
New to the site, and we will be checking all of the resources offered here, but this is the key question.  We understand that no one here can simply give us the "correct" answer.  So we're looking for any advice, stories, pros and cons, etc etc. Here are our parameters:
1. Either a motorhome OR a 5th wheel PLUS a truck to pull it

2. About $125K max to spend

3. We plan to severely downsize and hit the road for a year or more, so we will be living in this thing

Thanks in advance for any help that comes our way!

It all depends if you want to continuously travel or park the rig for 6 months, travel a couple of months and repark the rig for another few months...
If travelling continuously, you'll need a motorhome and a "toad vehicule"; if you do park for extended period, then a trailer or 5th wheel would be the choice.
Now for $125K... you'll either get a ?35 foot trailer or 5th wheel and a 3/4 ton pickup or a gas motorhome ? 35 feet and a toad vehicule, nothing new, but in good shape.

5th Wheel.

You only need the tow vehicle to maintain no toad to buy to tow behind the motohome. This now give you two things to maintain. But 5th wheel trailer the only thing to worry about is tires, brakes and bearings. The trailer can be dropped in any RV park and hooked up. Then you still have your tow vehicle. Now with a motorhome as you living in it you still have start and run the engine every so often still change the oil and maintain things or you will have failures the next time you take it out. Where a trailer the only thing that goes bad is the rubber sitting for long periods. I was once a motorhome owner and wasn't happy. I had a smaller class C motorhome to small to tow a toad. Always having issues with engine and transmission after long periods of sitting. (leaks, mice chewing at the electrical, etc.). But now the travel trailer I got now. So simple to maintain. I love the fact I can go somewhere even for jobs and drop the RV anywhere and still got my tow vehicle.

Mopar 1973, if you like riding your rear end in a pickup all year long, no problem with that, that's your choice, but I prefer being confortable in a much more confortable ride as a motorhome and then sit my rear end in a confortable SUV or any toad car; the motorhome is my cottage on wheels for some 6 months a year, no more.
BTW... in 1969 I owned a 1969 Super Bee Mopar Super Car, 383 cu.in., 4 speed HURST stick and that pony ran up to 135 MPH !

Assuming you're going to be fulltiming and traveling for the better part of the year, you'll probably be happier with a motorhome.  If you plan to park it for long periods at a time (which I doubt from what you said) then you might want some kind of trailer.  We tend to be "travelers" as opposed to "parkers" and think the motorhome with a car towed "four-down" is more convenient and easier to set up and take down than any trailer.  It's really nice if the weather is bad to hole up inside and wait for the weather to clear before worrying about hooking up utilities or running back and forth from the truck to/from the trailer when it's raining just to use the bathroom or to fix lunch.  If you plan to be in desert areas a lot you'll also like being able to run the roof air conditioner when it's over 100 degrees outside because most dash A/Cs can't keep up with that much heat near big windshields.  You'll find there have been quite a few previous discussions on the motorhome vs. trailer subject which you can find by using the Search button above left.  Meanwhile have fun planning and searching for just the right RV.

ArdraF

Thanks to all who have replied so far.  I had not considered the 'travel' time vs. 'parked' time aspect - that was very helpful. One other initial question if I may, and I think I will have what I need to start delving in to the resources here. Do either of the RV types have an advantage in interior square footage? For example, a 35' motorhome vs. a 35' 5th wheel. Or does it just depend on the model?

I won't belabor the points already raised...

Some other things to consider too are that for some reason, the 5th wheel business model is to install one or (usually) two AC units, but I rarely see 3 of them--even in huge 5ers.  If you plan to spend time in the South in summer, this is a non-ignorable issue.  I have a motorhome, so you know my choice, but I also camp with several families in 5ers and they are hot during the summer.  I can't understand why the 5ers don't have 3 AC units, but it's a critical flaw in my opinion.  So if you buy one of any size, make sure you can get 3 AC units.  Related to this is insulation.  As you shop around, try to understand the level of insulation in the different models that you think about (motorhome or 5er), and whether it will matter to you (hot or cold climates?). 

Also, know that 5ers and pull-behind trailers are being built with lots and lots of goodies in them, so you can easily find them with very nice amenities just like more expensive motorhomes.  The down side to that is that these things start to get heavy, so often I see manufactures struggling to maintain a reasonable balance between features and weight.  This usually ends up meaning lighter floors, thinner internal walls, fake wood, less insulation, etc.  This is not unique to trailers and 5ers, but I think they struggle with weight more. So be sure you have enough truck to safely tow whatever you end up with, but also appreciate the trade-offs.  Having said that, ultimately this was a major factor that led me to trade-up from our first Class A gasser, that was admittedly an entry-level 35' RV at $80k new, to a diesel pusher Class A.  I only owned that first RV for 6 months before trading up... took a small beating on that new-coach sticker price, but ultimately I'm glad that I did it because the diesel offers a stronger chassis, and thus has more quality construction. 

The other thing mentioned above has to do with those who will travel with you.  Motorhomes allow them to travel in style.  Our kids lay in bed, watch TV, play on iPads, use the toilet, and have snacks while we are moving down the road.  Our friend's kids are less comfortable in the back seat of their trucks.  For long driving days, this is significant for us.. Of course there's the  personal seatbelt debate in Class A's, and you can think about that, but ultimately most people with Class A's tend to allow at least limited flexibility in where kids and other family reside during travel.  For us, this enables long driving days with no complaints, and that opens up a lot more travel opportunities for us.

I must say that I really do admire the flexible floor plans in 5ers though, and that their slide-outs tend to be much deeper  because they aren't designed for occupancy when closed up.  There is clearly a lot more living space in a 34 or 40' 5er than there is in a similar length Class A.  (so why don't they use comparable AC??  Ugh)

newncguys said:
Thanks to all who have replied so far.  I had not considered the 'travel' time vs. 'parked' time aspect - that was very helpful. One other initial question if I may, and I think I will have what I need to start delving in to the resources here. Do either of the RV types have an advantage in interior square footage? For example, a 35' motorhome vs. a 35' 5th wheel. Or does it just depend on the model?

For the same size, you will get more living space in any trailer the any class A.
If you do choose a 5th wheel, make sure that you get one with the most windows to get a nice breeze without trying to get 3 A.C. on the unit; as per experience, 2 A.C. is plenty for a motorhome or trailer up to 40 feet; you might consider 3 A.C. if you go over 40 feet in lenght.

Personally, I have been researching 5th wheels and trucks.  To pull anything you would want, you will need a F250 / F350 / 2500 / 3500 pickup.  With a diesel, 4 wheel drive, nice interior, it will cost $60,000 new or $40,000 - $45,000 for the same unit 2 - 4 years old used.  You can get a very well built, quality RV for $89,000 OR LESS NEW,  or $50,000 up if you go late model used.  You have many very good choices in your price range.  You may want to choose the 5er first, then make SURE the truck you get will handle it without a struggle.

You can also get a nice Class A in this price range, either gas or diesel pusher.  You have many choices.

Personally, I do not mind a late model used unit that someone else has paid that big depreciation bill for me.  Especially for the RV, folks will get that shiny new RV, use it twice and decide it is not right for them, and trade it in on something else.  These are almost brand new at a huge savings.

May I also suggest you search this site for "motorhome or 5th wheel".  There are several other good discussions full of valuable information.

Good Luck and enjoy the search!!

Gordon

We opted for a MH for one very simple reason - setup.  I can pull into an RV park, push a button and my MH is level and ready to use.  Nothing to unhitch and no need to go outside to level in bad weather.  As with any RV you must go outside to connect electric, cable and water.  We tow a used Ford Focus on a tow dolly if needed.  We use our MH primarily for transportation and a place to crash after a long day on the road, visiting or touring.  We rarely stay in one place more than 3 or 4 days.  I considered a 5er but I was able to purchase a new MH and used toad for less that what a 5er and truck would cost.  Good luck in your search.  Happy RVing everyone.

Regardless of the type of RV, what counts in terms of living space is how the living space FITS YOU!  So the important thing is to get out there and start looking at RVs and imagining how YOU will use the space. Imagine two rainy days in a row--who will sit where and what will you do indoors?  Doing this to a couple of rigs will give you a much better idea of what you want and need.

legrandnormand said:
Mopar 1973, if you like riding your rear end in a pickup all year long, no problem with that, that's your choice, but I prefer being confortable in a much more confortable ride as a motorhome and then sit my rear end in a confortable SUV or any toad car; the motorhome is my cottage on wheels for some 6 months a year, no more.
BTW... in 1969 I owned a 1969 Super Bee Mopar Super Car, 383 cu.in., 4 speed HURST stick and that pony ran up to 135 MPH !

Because where I live in Idaho little cars will not survive at all. Because the only roads that are paved are the highway. Everything else is dirt roads. The factor is I haul stuff constantly either in the bed of the truck, trailer (utility) or trying to escape the daily grind (RV). At any point I still got a very efficient diesel truck that does extremely well for MPG either empty (mid 20's) or towing (low teens). I some times take on volunteer work for the city events and relocated to Riggins, ID with the RV. Drop the RV and still got comfy truck to drive. I've been known to relocated my RV close to Fire Camp and be able to cut down on traveling back and forth to wild-land fires. So my travel trailer is my portable home my truck is my transportation.

Travel to a job site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb6pw5Y7kNM

Going to friends house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXInW5VnOF8

Think about where you would stay IF repairs are needed on either type RV. I don't know which unit is more prone to needing repairs but one thing I do know, both units need repairs sooner or later that keep the coach at a dealer or repair shop. You'll have to find alternate living quarters while either unit is out of service. Guess that is why I don't fulltime or part time for that matter. Just sayin'... :-[
Keith  :-*

In 16+ years of full timing, we only had 2 occasions where we couldn't stay in the coach during service.  Once was when the flooring was being replaced and we spent 2 nights in a B&B and the other was one night at Freightliner when the coach was in the shop with the engine opened up.  The next night they pushed us out of the shop and we stayed in the coach outside the shop door.  Could have done that the first night too if we had thought of it :)

One thing not mentioned is that if you have a motorhome and it breaks down, you have a toad to use either to get help or to get around.  If you have a truck and trailer and the truck breaks down it might be more difficult.

It's a hard decision.

We are in Western Wyoming and it's been in the mid 90s for the last week.  Those parked beside us in 5th wheels were having a very hard time cooling down their RVs.  One couple could not get their inside temps below 88.  We were able to keep the coach at 72 degrees, mostly because of the insulation, double paned windows and awnings over the windows.

Marsha~

Many good points above, so I will just bring up a few specific observations that I have based on the 2 different RV types. I have had both so my experiences are reality based. Many of the new 5vers use a "push out" type of window now instead of the sliding type. My experience is that the push outs do not allow the air flow that the sliding windows do. The push outs look really cool because they appear to be frameless, but there is a trade off with that. 

Second, I had purchased a new 5ver in the 50K range when I thought I was ready to go back to a towable a few years ago from a major manutacturer. It was very attractive and had many great features that made it aesthetically pleasing. The problem came when I soon realized that the manufacturer in order to achieve that level of amenities had to cut the quality of the materials in order to not only fit the price point, but keep it under a reasonable weight limit (it still was very heavy for the 35' length). And it was slapped together in a hurry judging by the construction techniques employed.

After my first long trip to Kentucky and back from California, I brought it home and traded it in. Parts were falling off and the frame supplied by Lippert Chassis was leaking grease onto the brakes, that had already been replaced in KY with brand new ones by a dealer.

The point of my story is not to condemn one RV over another. This is for education only. 

And these are the points. 1) If you are going to have a towable RV long enough to full time in, have at least a 1 ton truck to handle the load. 2) Try to look past the flash and pretty amenities of a RV, and look at the bones. Look at the important stuff like how many AC units it has, and will they cool the rig in hot weather. 3) Does the rig have an Inverter system to convert your battery power to AC power for when you want to dry camp and still watch TV. Many towables do not come with Inverters. 4) If it is a Motor Home, will there be enough storage to carry "stuff".  Sometimes many of the storage doors that you see from the outside are not available due to housing things like batteries, water bays and propane tanks.  5) How big are the storage tanks, fresh, black and gray water. I have seen some really nice motorhomes with pathetic storage capabilities. 6) Consider a residential refer over a traditional gas refer. You can find much discussion on this topic here on the forum.

These are some of the things that I view as important, and is just my opinion and experiences. You will need to determine what is important to you and your family. 

I also think it is what you are used to in size. We build (years ago) a large, open planned house. We cannot get over the feeling of claustrophobia in a class A ..I know you can get class As with 4 slides but they are more that we want to spend. ..so layout and previous lifestyle is important...kind of like counter space :)

We haven't ruled out a Class A (or super C) ...maybe down the road..

In our almost 10 years of RV'ing, I don't think we can count on one hand, the number of Class A owners under 65...yes, I know that is woefully incorrect, but it has made an impression on us. Perhaps it is the steep initial investment for most non full / long times to assume.

Others know, setup time for us isn't that long (and I enjoy it) so it doesn't factor into our equation. I find our class 5 truck comfy and small enough that I can use it to out around town.

good lucj finding your perfect rig...
Grassy

I'm stuck in the decision between TT, 5th wheel and MH. I and my wife and our 6 year old and pets will be making the move soon. The big debate is traveling in the pickup with the dog, etc versus us all riding in the MH.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom