deep slide vs shallow slide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

There seem to be basically two slide types on the market. One is a deep slide close to 4 feet, the other is a shallow slide closer to 2 feet. What are the advantages / disadvantages to each type? Is one more likely to have problems than the other?

Our trailer has one of each. I like the deep slide, but I see no real reason for the shallow one. If you are going to go to that much trouble, why not put in two deep slides?

Frank

Hi!
My Coleman has a shallow slide and it opens up the interior "just enough" to make it comfortable. I've been in TTs with deep slides and I feel that they're like an additional room in the TT. For me, IMHO, a shallow slide accents the interior without taking up too much exterior space. I've been in sites where I had multiple options on positioning where if I had  a deep slide I'd have been very limited. That's my two cents!
Happy Trails,
Mike

It may be due to how useable the inside of the camper is when both slides are in.  Two wides across from each other may make it impossible to move around inside for a short stop over.  I have total access to everything with both my slides in where in some cases you couldn't get to the bathroom or refrig when slides are in.

Deep vs shallow is probably governed more by frame construction then anything else.  With the advent of the ultra lite TT's they are unable to support the beefy slide gearing/framing that a deep slide requires thus a lot of TT's with shallow slides.  Our MH for example with the heavy frame has 2 deep slides opposite each other in the leaving area thus providing a very nice living/kitchen area.

Agree with frame construction and would add balancing the weight.  Slides are heavy and the manufacturers have to achieve a subtle balance.  They can't put all the heavy appliances on one side, for example, without counterbalancing other things like the waste and fresh water tanks that you don't see.  I don't see the depth of slideouts as being something the purchaser chooses like they might choose one type of refrigerator over another or other optional items.  Every chassis and axle has weight limits and deeper slides probably are heavier so the manufacturer probably will go with the more shallow slide to achieve optimum balance and cargo carrying capacity.

ArdraF

My 30 TT has a shallow slide.  Because of the floor plan, it feels cavernous inside with even the shallow slide open.  And it's 100% usable with the slide in....including being able to get to the bathroom, open any of the cabinets, etc.  On my floorplan, I don't see any reason for more space.

My question had more to do with the engineering / cost / reliability than the preference. That both are available is good, as preferences do vary, as your comments note.

To reiterate, are deep slides more likely to experience maintenance / reliability issues compared to shallow ones? Are they more costly to implement?

Thanks.

Frank.

Deep slides have no drawbacks except for the interior space needed to close them. You can only fit so much in the 8.5 foot interior space of an RV as it travels done the road. Opposing slides have to fit with each other, but in a trailer they could physically touch since there is little need to have a walkable aisle when traveling. The rest is weight/balance, of others have already suggested.

Gary:

Deep slides have no drawbacks except for the interior space needed to close them.

OK, that would explain why the shallow slide in the bedroom.  It couldn't come in any further and still leave room for the longitudinal queen bed.  Now that makes sense.

Fortunately our slides do allow us to use the trailer with the deep or the shallow slide retracted, something that we like when traveling and need to get to the bathroom or the fridge for just a moment.

My appreciation for the way this trailer is designed just went up.

Thanks again.

Frank.

Here's an exercise for everyone:  Take a piece of paper and draw your ideal travel trailer or fiver to scale.  Now make everything where it will work in harmony using everything discussed on this thread....weight, size, reliability, drive mechanisms, plumbing and wiring, etc.  Consider thing such as placement of axles for ideal weight distribution etc....and when you're done, you'll appreciate how well your RV is designed and actually works.

Mine has a deep slide across from a shallow slide.  The shallow slide has all of the heavy appliances in it and the deep slide has tables and recliners in it.  The deep slide deploys prior to the shallow one - a measure to provide counterbalance to the weight the shallow slide contains.  I had my trailer weighed wheel by wheel, not by axle, and was surprised at the weight difference between the slides. 

The tanks are between the frame members and do not affect the balance side to side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom