DEF Tank possibly exploded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottro

I’m getting my information secondhand, so I am not exactly sure what happened.
My wife told me today that my mother and father-in-law who are out on a trip with a couple of their friends had their DEF tank explode or meltdown or something to that affect, I was told. Apparently, their friends were traveling behind them and said a large plume of blue or black smoke came out of the DEF tank area, they then pulled over at a fuel station and found, from what I was told white foam coming out of the DEF tank.
Has anyone had this experience or heard of this type of situation before?
They had the coach towed to the closest Cummins dealer to have it worked on tomorrow, but was just curious if anyone had seen this before.
Scott ,Orlando

I’m getting my information secondhand, so I am not exactly sure what happened.
My wife told me today that my mother and father-in-law who are out on a trip with a couple of their friends had their DEF tank explode or meltdown or something to that affect, I was told. Apparently, their friends were traveling behind them and said a large plume of blue or black smoke came out of the DEF tank area, they then pulled over at a fuel station and found, from what I was told white foam coming out of the DEF tank.
Has anyone had this experience or heard of this type of situation before?
They had the coach towed to the closest Cummins dealer to have it worked on tomorrow, but was just curious if anyone had seen this before.
Scott ,Orlando
With the caveat that I know nothing about DEF, a google search returned a number of articles saying that DEF was non-explosive. Let us know what Cummins shop says and does.

Run away heat element in the tank (which is there to prevent if from freezing) and it boiled over?

Dunno.

Charles
I did read something very relative to what you said, Charles, regarding the heat element as a potential possibility. It mentioned it was a common problem in the 2017 model years with a Spartan chassis.
I’m not sure what their chassis is, but it sounds almost as if that must be it.
I don’t know if they had fault lights going on the dash beforehand,but they acted as if they didn’t. I would think if there was an increase in temp they would get a warning on the dash. Interesting to see what actually happened.
Scott,Orlando

So the latest update I can give is, it seems one of their chassis battery cables was rubbing on the body of the coach and was arcing. This apparently caused the battery to ultimately explode(which were acid filled)obviously sending battery acid throughout the compartment,which also housed the DEF tank. The rest is pretty obvious,they had to replace both batteries and some damage was done to the DEF tank and its components. Waiting for some parts to come in today at Cummins.
Scott,Orlando

Cow P1$$ specifically.

Charles
That's just another internet meme. The urea used in Def products is synthesized from ammonia and carbon-dioxide.

It surely could be refined from animal or human urine, but collecting it and refining it is no doubt more expensive than just making the stuff. It's a rather simple industrial process.

DEF fluid is made of 67.5% demineralized water and 32.5% urea. Urea is not exactly the same as urine; it is just one of its components. So, no human or animal urine can be used in diesel engines.

Back
Top Bottom