Delamination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamboo

Is delamination a cosmetic problem or a structural problem, I'm looking at a motorhome that has a lot of delamination.

Should be a lot of them out there especially in the Coachman line of A models. It's probably a combination of things including structure and moisture getting in.  JMHO

I'd look for a different motorhome before buying that one. Lots of work &/or $$$ to fix it.

bamboo said:
Is delamination a cosmetic problem or a structural problem, I'm looking at a motorhome that has a lot of delamination.

Delamination is not a good thing and can be very expensive to fix if it can be fixed short of replacing the whole side.  Do not walk away from it but Run Run Run away and never give it anoth thought.

Thanks, It's been on E-bay twice now, it's in my area, so I can see it up close
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130119583612

If the stuff I see in the photos is the delamination you mentioned, that represents major wall issues (both sides). You'd have to ask what caused it, but it's definitely not something I'd consider buying. Maybe there's a good reason it's been on eBay twice. If, after looking up close, you still want to buy it, find a fiberglass repair shop (or boat repair yard) in your area and ask their opinion.

A few years back we (Group of guys) did one like that.  3 body men and 1 fiberglass boat gent)  We all agreed  NEVER EVER AGAIN.  Sure not work all the work and effort. JMHO

Guess it might be alright if one doesn't mind investing another 10K to 20K or more to have the delaminated walls replaced.  Not something I would even want to have anything to do with.

I'll go against the grain here (what's new?) and say that maybe it is OK (but probably not). Some delamination is mostly cosmetic, but you have to be sure of the cause and condition of the structure around it.  Back in the 90's there were quite a few cases of poor glue-up on sidewalls and the skin simply came loose.  I had a 96 Southwind that had two small areas (about 2 sq ft each) that were hardly noticeable and never spread an inch while we owned it.  If the area of delamination is relatively small and you are confident it is a glue problem rather than moisture (the other common cause), then you might have an opportunity to pick up a bargain. Even at that, I would buy it only if I was willing to live with is as is, because a repair is laborious and expensive, even if you do it yourself.  You would not want to buy it with the intention of fixing it up unless you are fairly skilled at both gluing up woodwork and fiberglass body work.

You said "a lot of delamination", which makes me think it is not something that is isolated nor something you could easily live with.

I'll go against the grain with RV Roamer on this one, only because I seem to be a owner of one of those delaminated products from the 90's (95 to be exact).

I have a 95 Coachmen, as my entry into the world of MH, and there are 2 places on the left side of the coach that have the fiberglass coming up from the wall (Roughly 2' bubble). I am 95% confident that this is a glue issue, because the spot is dead center in the wall and all surrounding areas are fully intact. Granted there is the slight chance that something else caused this, but through searching and asking questions, as RV ROAMER mentioned, it was pretty common on the 90's era class A's. I'm not saying that it doesn't bother me asthetically, but it has never given me any problems or concerns from a structural standpoint.

That being said, I currently own my coach and know the previous original owner, so I know the history. When I pick up my next MH, I can assure you, I will be looking for issues just like this. So although I believe it is possible to have some delamination without getting into structural integrity, there are so many MH for sale, I would probably shop a little more. If this is the only issue you see with this MH and they are selling it for a price you just can't pass up, just remember "Buyer Beware".

I know I probably only complicated the issue for you, and yes I do wear protection when I straddle the fence, but I thought I would offer my opinion from a person who is experiencing the same issue.  Good Luck.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see where you differred from him at all< seem to think you agreed and would be extremely careful on the next one... Undertaking a huge delam problem is a lot different than living with one. All Gary said was be careful the same as you.  I"ve redone one with the help of others and it's no picnic and not worth the time and effort to do so. If its got it live with it  is much simpler than tackling it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom