Delta Strummers in concert 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that's ironic!  They're a set of pre-production Elixir strings I'm testing for Gore.  They're  already coated with plastic.  I think they'd look awesome in Orange.

I really enjoyed All of Me.  Looks like a great group of people.  I wish I could play an instrument.(any instrument) :-\

Robin

[quote author=Roadhappy]I wish I could play an instrument.(any instrument) :-\ [/quote]

Robin, FWIW four years ago I'd never played a stringed instrument, and my only other attempt at playing an instrument was when, 17 years or so ago, I taught myself to play a keyboard (not very well). A month after buying my first ukulele, I almost gave up, but was fortunate to have a guitar-playing friend buy himself a uke and teach me some very basic strumming.

Apart from the fact that it has only four strings and a narrow neck, and is therefore 'easier' to play, the small size makes it ideal to take along in the coach.

[quote author=8Muddypaws]They're  already coated with plastic.  I think they'd look awesome in Orange.[/quote]

A band member turned up at last week's practice with a new set of "red" strings by Aquila. I've seen lots of Aquila strings, but not red ones. I played his uke for all of a few seconds, and I think the only one that's coated is the wound low-G string he opted for.

They'd go well with my glow-in-the-dark face  :-[

Today 40 Delta Strummers had a blast performing for a local elementary school. 540 kids split into 2 back-to-back performances; Kindergarten through 5th grade, and 6th through 8th grades. The programs were different for the two groups, but there was also some duplication of songs. The kids appeared to enjoy themselves and joined in on several songs, while clapping along on others.

The older kids in the school music program really seemed to enjoy Apache, while the younger kids had a blast with Old Macdonald and Itsy Bitsy Spider. Band members wore different 'farm animal' hats for Old Macdonald, much to the amusement of the kids, and someone hoisted a huge fake spider for Itsy Bitsy Spider.

Our last performance before Summer hiatus. Tomorrow I meet with the Activities Director of a new-to-us assisted living facility to discuss a possible performance in the Fall.

Tomorrow evening we start our customary end-of-season open mic' sessions, which provide an opportunity for band members to introduce new-to-us numbers for consideration for our song book and future performances.

I think 540 kids are lots more fun than a dozen or so 'over served' partiers.  That's what we had last weekend.  We also had a pretty fair 'sober' crowd but they were quiet.  That's what you get playing open outdoor venues.  :eek:

We don't do outdoor venues.

I'm trying to grab video from the camcorder, but it's not cooperating  :(

Off to open mic' night to propose 'new' numbers for the coming season; They have to be performed in front of the band, and everyone gets to vote with thumbs up or down.

A Thumbs up or thumbs down?  Nice touch.  I'm sure that makes everyone want to submit a song for review.  ;)

Folks are really supportive of, and respectful of, new submissions and we get far more 'new' stuff than we could possibly play in the coming season. Ability to perform is not a criteria and, if someone doesn't feel comfortable, they can get someone else to perform their submission for them. Requiring a lead sheet and a performance (in front of  the band) weeds out some of the junk that can't be played and frivolous submissions. I'm continually blown away by the number of relative newcomers who come forward. 12 of the 24 numbers in our May 2 concert came from prior open mic' submissions.

Had a bunch of new stuff last night, and we have two more open mic' nights to go. I felt humbled when our lead uke player (the pro guitar player) picked one of my prior arrangements to perform/submit last evening, after giving due attribution.

[quote author=8Muddypaws]Have you submitted any of the mountain of stuff I sent you?  (Just curious)[/quote]

Not yet. I'd first need to change it to ukulele-C tuning lead sheets.

FWIW I took your files as guitar teaching, not uke.

Should work for either.  Just in cases where I drew a picture of the chord it would be different.

Back
Top Bottom