Denver Co Winter Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joer

We are planning to spend Christmas in Denver at Cherry Creek State Park.  Has anyone been there in the winter?    We will leave the 5th wheel at the park and spend a few days in the mountains near Dillon with family for Christmas.  Also any tips on cold weather camping from those who have spent time in frigid areas would be appreciated.  (according to weather service the average temp is 19 to 48)   

Thanks in advance

Joe

Yes it is open, we have reservations confirmed.  Mainly I was wondering about the  experience of those who have cold weather camping knowledge in this area of colorado.  I would rather not be surprised by any challenges of winter cold weather camping.

joe

I have no knowledge of camping in this area of Colorado during the winter since I live here. You should plan on dealing with some really cold temperatures though. The last week of December and first week of January are typically our coldest time of the year. -15 is not uncommon at night.

Weather in Colorado is variable all the time. So be ready for warm weather and be ready for sub-zero temps. You'll need full propane tanks and an electric space heater (or two). Fill the water tanks and don't leave your hoses hooked up. Also be prepared to not be able to get up to Dillon if the weather turns crummy.

Enjoy
Wendy

Thanks for the info.  I am planning on extra electric heaters and some heat tape for water hoses.  We are thinking positive, but realise the weather can go sour quickly.

joe

Do they leave the water turned on at Cherry Creek in the winter?

Don't know specifically about the water, but I will find out for sure before we leave.  My understanding is that the Abilene loop at Cherry Creek is fully open all year.  Thanks for the heads up on a  possible problem .

joe

Since they are open all year, someone there could probably offer some tips and advise.  yes , you will definitely want to bring along some electric heaters. And, keep the cabinet doors open to help eliminate the possibility of frozen pipes. The good news is, you could also luck out and have weather in the 60's.  I live nearby, and have spent many Christmas days hiking around in a short sleeve t-shirt.

Thanks for the reply,  I am hoping for the best(Indian summer, 50's ,60's ) but  would like to be prepared for the other extreeeeeeem.  Checked your blog, sounds like you'all are enjoying the curves that life brings.  Just went to Grand Lake for the first time this year==nice tourist place.  Thanks again for the winter weather observations.

Thanks

joe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom