Dewald slide pump will not shut off when switch is relelased

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeda133

I have a HWH 2000 series joy stick leveling system and 2 slides.  When using the rocker switch in the BR or the switch at the pump to activate the Dewald pump it does NOT shut off when u release the rocker switch at either location.  When the room is fully extended or retracted it randomly does not shut off either.  It will just run on for 15-20 seconds or more and then shut off.  I walked away after it shut down and all of a sudden the pump came on then shut off and cycled like this several more times with no one activating the rocker switches.  I am not running to the engine compartment to disconnect the engine battery in an effort to prevent this from happening while I am away from the coach.  I am thinking a relay must be causing the problem but having not unmounted the assy from the compartment do not see one.  Have searched the HWH site to no avail.  Left a message and was told the technicians are several WEEKS behind in answering tech inquiries.  I am afraid I am going to destroy a pump/motor if this keeps up.  Any advise would be appreciated.  Joe

Joe,
It's been 10 yrs since I had a system like yours on my '99 Chieftain.  I suspect one of the electrical switches down in the joy stick has broken apart.  A broken switch will make contact when the loose pieces touch or just the opposite can happen too.
Don't think it would be a relay .....they usually won't make contact or stick closed, but not both symptoms.  Usually the HWH folks are very responsive and helpful when you call.  In the meantime, I would be shopping around for price and availability of the joy stick assembly.  If you can get the part number off the assembly or from the manual, search Ebay and Amazon for the part.

Good luck,
Bill

Thanks for the thoughts Bill.  During the most recent occurrences the problem has occurred when trying to operate the slides from the "rocker switches" either interior or at the pump.  I have not tried to extend the jacks to see if the same problem occurs then.  Your thoughts make sense except that why would the pump "cycle" without my touching a electrical switch.  Agree with your comment about HWH and was very surprised when a "receptionist" said it would be weeks before I got a call back.  I have replaced that whole joy stick module before (years ago) and hope that is not the case again.  Fortunately I am in storage right now and time is not of the essence.  Again TY

I know this is an older post but i do have some insight.  These pumps have two solenoids at the motor. One is for the slides to go out, the other in.  They stick.  I replaces mine with two ford starter sel. it took a little reworking but I have not had a problem since.

I had the same issue you are having

Back
Top Bottom