Did ya ever hear all the hype about a place,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ziplock

And when you got there, you were not impressed?

Yep, a spin off of yesterdays question:

How about a place you didn't think would be worth visiting, but proved you wrong.

In the 4 years we have had the pleasure of touring the US, the only place we visited and thought would be great, but found it extremely disappointing was Pigeon Forge Tennessee. Everything there was designed to take a large chunk of your dollars. You couldn't buy tickets for Dollywood without including the rides, which for us oldies, is a technicolor yawn too far. We just wanted to see the place.
We did enjoy our trip into the smokies around Cades cove though. (that was until Anne fell and managed to break a bone in her leg:()

In the 4 years we have had the pleasure of touring the US, the only place we visited and thought would be great, but found it extremely disappointing was Pigeon Forge Tennessee. Everything there was designed to take a large chunk of your dollars. You couldn't buy tickets for Dollywood without including the rides, which for us oldies, is a technicolor yawn too far. We just wanted to see the place.
We did enjoy our trip into the smokies around Cades cove though. (that was until Anne fell and managed to break a bone in her leg:()
We paid $468 for 3 adults and 2 small kids and the kids were the only ones who went on rides. We were there October 28 and Dollywood was having their Christmas laser light show. It really blew us away so we decided the light show alone was worth the money.

My step daughter and I went mountain ziplining at the nearby state park. I totally enjoyed it and she vowed to never go ziplining again:) So it is definitely one of the best ziplines.

But the Sugarland Distillery tour in nearby Gatlinburg, TN was a total bust. They should have warned us the distillery was shut down at the time. 45 minutes standing in line to get into a 15x20' room with 1 small antique still and a small antique corn grinding mill. But the tour came with a free pass to sample 12 different moonshines and a moonshine cocktail made with your favorite one. They were great so that was worth the $15 ticket. Good thing my SIL gave up drinking or we'd never found our way back to the condo:)

We stay away from the big tourist traps. Amazing how many small museums and other out of the way places there are.
We were at Niagara, NY and saw a flyer for the Herschell carousel museum. Small, off the beaten path. Spent 4 hours there.

I'm sorry to trash on the Midwest, but here goes. Living in the Northwest made visiting South Dakota a little anti-climatic. Or perhaps I was just in a sour mood about moving to the Midwest while we visited along the way to Minnesota. Black "hills" were pfft...I come from some of the tallest mountains in the world. And I've seen trees before. Yawn. Devil's Tower was interesting. However, it looked way cooler in CE3K.

Mount Rushmore was beautiful - for a momentary rush. Much respect for the monument, and it is amazing. But like visiting a majestic waterfall, it's "wow" - but not for a whole day, at least in my book.

I didn't feel a particular attachment to the Badlands. Hmm...rocks. The Badlands may be worth a second trip as we only did a driving tour, but I didn't see anything where we absolutely had to stop the car and get out and see.

Shrugs...I should be so lucky to visit all of these places. It's all probably worth a second visit when we have more than 2 weeks to see all 3 places, and a more open mind when I'm not semi-dreading moving for work.

Last edited:
Pigeon Forge Tennessee
I have heard that was a disappointment from many people...I will be passing through the area but not stopping,

I wonder if Gatlinburg TN is the same. I was considering a stop there.

There is an old joke about asking your wife to choose the next trip by throwing a dart at a US map. So we are spending a week camping next to the baseboard in the laundry room.

I am frequently poring over maps and Google Earth looking for interesting places that tickle my curiosity. If I find a particularly interesting spot, I then do internet searches trying to find a trip report or some on-line reference. If I do not find one then I know I have found a destination. This has led us to some fantastic spots to boondock with great scenery and solitude. It has also led us to some pits of despair that we couldn't wait to escape. On a few occasions it resulted in campsites I drove into easily enough, but had extreme difficulty negotiating the rig out of there and had to cut trees to maneuver. Oh well, it is all part of the adventure.
One site in particular -- a friend told me of a spot he found right where a stream entered a lake. Large shady trees overhead, and overlooked the lake and meadow. Google Earth confirmed it. It looked great! The access road seemed OK. We made it in without too much mishap. Had to remove some fallen branches and logs from the forest two-track, and a few places were pretty tight (Another coat of paint and we would have scraped). But the site was great -- fishing at the mouth of the creek a few steps from the campsite, a wildflower filled meadow out the window, with deer and elk grazing in the morning, waterfowl on the lake, and not another person in sight. It was heaven. A week later it was time to leave and found a very large ponderosa pine fell across the road during our stay, blocking the road. No cell coverage, too large for my little camp saw. I backed up the road a ways, unhooked the trailed, and by limbing the log and cutting the top, I was (barely) able to skid the log in 4wd low. At least enough room to snake the trailer through.

Another site was nice and quiet, a small glen in the forest. A nice boondocking site -- until dusk. Then the mosquitoes emerged in a stygian horde. A black cloud enveloped you as soon as you stepped outside after dark. We lasted one night.

One RV park looked nice enough on the website. Couldn't find any negative reviews, but when we arrived after a long day of driving, it looked like a third world refugee camp. Trash, stink, loose dogs running all over, cars up on blocks, and every RV in the place looked like it was held together with duct tape and rust. Since it was a one-night travel stop we stayed, after making sure everything was locked up and secured.

On the flip side of that, last summer we were looking for a place to spend the night between Watford City, ND and Great Falls MT. Not a lot to choose from. On google maps we spotted the Kiwanis Club Campground in Lewistown MT. Evidently, it was a small parcel of land next to the airport the local club bought as a service for people like us -- a one night spot to camp. No hookups, but was grass, and some picnic shelters. A voluntary donation was requested. We figured, "For one night it will be fine. Nothing spectacular, but convenient." It was lovely! Despite being right on the highway and next to the airport, it was quiet (DW says once I take my hearing aids out I wouldn't hear a 747 taking off). A grocery store directly across the highway allowed us to restock the larder. We were expecting a gravel parking area but found a really nice place to camp.

As far as destinations go, one I think I won't bother returning to is Blue Mesa Reservoir in Colorado. The internet writeups all describe it in superlatives, but I found it meh. Fishing was good, but that particular area did not strike me as any more noteworthy than anywhere else. I also found Crater Lake NP as not worthy of a second trip. The lake is beautiful, no dispute there. The rim drive has frequent overlooks, and every one is spectacular. However, other than look at the lake there is not much else to do. Not a great hiking park. So it is checked off our bucket list, but I won't return. Too many other higher priorities to visit.

We paid $468 for 3 adults and 2 small kids and the kids were the only ones who went on rides. We were there October 28 and Dollywood was having their Christmas laser light show. It really blew us away so we decided the light show alone was worth the money.

My step daughter and I went mountain ziplining at the nearby state park. I totally enjoyed it and she vowed to never go ziplining again:) So it is definitely one of the best ziplines.

But the Sugarland Distillery tour in nearby Gatlinburg, TN was a total bust. They should have warned us the distillery was shut down at the time. 45 minutes standing in line to get into a 15x20' room with 1 small antique still and a small antique corn grinding mill. But the tour came with a free pass to sample 12 different moonshines and a moonshine cocktail made with your favorite one. They were great so that was worth the $15 ticket. Good thing my SIL gave up drinking or we'd never found our way back to the condo:)
But the Old Glory distillery in Clarksburg, TN was very good. Problem is we spent too much $ for bottles as gifts.

Can you spell tourist trap? The building looks like every room was an afterthought. It's about as exciting as the Corn Palace, but costs more.

Laughing about the Corn Palace along the way provided more than enough entertainment for us. We drove right by!

We stopped at the Corn Palace about 10 months ago, it was a nice chance to stretch and walk a bit, but more interesting was the Indian village dig site / museum just north of town.

Back
Top Bottom