Did you know? a bit of automotive trivia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RoyM said:
I had a Lark too, big heavy clunker with an underpowered flat 6. Built like a tank with lots of of room for a testosterone charged kid. ;D

You guys are bringing back memories, I learned to drive in my mom's Lark.

Anyone remember the "Starlight Coupe" 1950 Studebaker?

Attachments

• 1950_Studebaker-03_Ad.jpg
    1950_Studebaker-03_Ad.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 1950_Studebaker-09_Ad.jpg
    1950_Studebaker-09_Ad.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 20
Looks like my first car, a 1952 Studebaker coupe.  The yellow paint on mine wasn't as bright, however.

Here I go again,  showing my age....

In the 1950's I was an aspirant young fellow wanting to get into the automotive field.

I applied at the biggest Cadillac dealer for a job; no way.

I did get a job at a well-heeled dealership in my town. Entry-job? Yes, grease monkey and watching the old-timer mechanics. Finally worked up to doing minor repairs on 40 and 50's era cars.

This post is again for old-timers: There were no alternators for charging batteries in those days. Generators, with commutators and carbon brushes seemed to be a constant problem.

What they did in those days was to attempt to clean those parts with a simple spray of "PYRENE". Anyone remember those days?
  Pyrene was actually a fire-extinguisher fluid in a pump can. Now-a-days, according to Google, it is a highly carcinogenic product. I am glad I survived that era.

To date, I have only had one cancer operation on my right forearm, wonder if I can claim for damages from my now defunct past employer?  ;D :-\

Good luck carson.

carson FL

Carson I just bought a fire extinguisher for my 1930 Model AA ford and yes it is a PYRENE extinguisher,  I understand they worked well, sorta like  HALON , chemical gas that leaves no trace, and yes the thing is still full. Hope not to use it. ;)

In my early days we used trifloromathane for cleaning parts(I THINK) WASHED OUR HANDS WITH IT EVERY DAY, THEN WE WERE TOLD TO NEVER USE IT AND NEVER LET IT TOUCH YOU, CARCINOGEN.

Mark R. said:
Carson I just bought a fire extinguisher for my 1930 Model AA ford and yes it is a PYRENE extinguisher,  I understand they worked well, sorta like  HALON , chemical gas that leaves no trace, and yes the thing is still full. Hope not to use it. ;)

Mark,

I suspect the fluid in your fire extinguisher is really carbon tetrachloride and if so when you use it, it will put out the fire but will leave a very toxic gas and possibly some corrosive salts.  Do not use it under any condition, add a modern fire extinguisher someplace and only use it if needed.  Forget about the Pyrene one and never use it.  Even better have the fluid removed at a HAZMAT site and disposed of as it is bad stuff.

Carson I bought it for looks only, will install on my antique truck, the real extinguisher is in the truck. To use the old unit you actually use the handle to punch a hole it its metal seal, I guess that is why it is still full, metal sealed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffeegal
Back
Top Bottom