Diesel Engine heater

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But have you ever seen one with a plug in the engine bay for the glow plugs?

Ken

Hmm.  I must have a "different" kind of diesel as I drive an LT Serenity which is on a Mercedes 3500 chasis.  I've never done any of that stuff.  I think the lowest I started it was in Rawlins Wyoming one night when it was 5 above zero.  No problem.  Turn the switch on.  Wait till the glow plug squiggly goes out, and then hit the ignition.  No problem.  No preheater or whatever.

Chip D

While a diesel engine will start at low temperatures, preheating the oil with the block heater reduces the wear on the engine while the oil pressure builds.

Even though many people pass around all sorts of recommendations, the bottom line is that engine manufacturers don't necessarily see the need for them.  CAT doesn't recommend any starting assistance for its most of its engines at temperatures above 15 degrees.  The only exceptions are a couple of engines that benefit from flowing ether at altitudes above 1500 ft.  I can't speak for Cummins, but I expect its recommendations are similar.  Coolant heating isn't recommended unless temps are below 0F.

CAT cold weather starting procedures can be found here: https://safety.cat.com/cda/files/715418/7/Cold+Weather+Recommendations+For+all+Machines.pdf

In a similar vein, engine manufacturers also recommend that the vehicle be put in gear as soon as oil and air pressure are normal and driven at low speeds.  Engine warm-up under load is faster than when the engine is idling.

It sure is nice to have the block heater on overnight, start the engine up in the cool am and have heat coming into the cab almost instantaneously.  ;) :) I use the block heater here in FL anytime the temp will drop into the 40s. It didn't come with the truck because it's a southern dealership. I had to order it as an  option.

docj said:
Even though many people pass around all sorts of recommendations, the bottom line is that engine manufacturers don't necessarily see the need for them.  CAT doesn't recommend any starting assistance for its most of its engines at temperatures above 15 degrees.  The only exceptions are a couple of engines that benefit from flowing ether at altitudes above 1500 ft.  I can't speak for Cummins, but I expect its recommendations are similar.  Coolant heating isn't recommended unless temps are below 0F.

CAT cold weather starting procedures can be found here: https://safety.cat.com/cda/files/715418/7/Cold+Weather+Recommendations+For+all+Machines.pdf

In a similar vein, engine manufacturers also recommend that the vehicle be put in gear as soon as oil and air pressure are normal and driven at low speeds.  Engine warm-up under load is faster than when the engine is idling.

The manual cited is for "machines", not necessarily on road motorhomes. Some hints are the recommendation to put a piece of burlap over the air intake, and cardboard in front of the radiator. We seldom need to run back and forth several times and park the tracks and accesories on wood to keep the machine from freezing to the ground. But even that manual talks on page 19 about using engine block water heaters and how the warm engine starts easier and lessens any need for other starting aids. It sounds like they see the need for them if they bother to mention their benefits.

So then I went to my C9 engine manual where on pages 101 and 102 they state that in cold weather when using diesel #2 for fuel, that "engine oil pan heaters" and "engine coolant heaters" "provide a means of minimizing problems in cold weather". 

I'm only passing on what Cat's manual says. 

Ken

bucks2 said:
The manual cited is for "machines", not necessarily on road motorhomes.

The last time I checked my motorhome is a machine powered by a CAT engine which would include it in the definition of machines as used in the referenced document.

Your C9 manual doesn't define "cold weather" so there is nothing inconsistent between it and the document I provided.  The devil is in the detail; at what temps do heaters become required rather than optional?  Unless your manual has additional definitions elsewhere I would have to assume that the CAT cold weather starting guide would be applicable.

I'm not trying to change your mind about how you choose to start your engine, only to provide documentation about what CAT says its engines require. My C-12 doesn't have glow plugs and starts just fine down to 20F which is as low as I've ever had it.  As a full-timer my objective is to follow 70 degrees so I hope never to have to consider what to do at temps below 15F.  ;D

If its real cold I may give it a try.  Never had a problem starting it, just thinking as others have said it would be better for the engine.
I assume it works as I have never used it.

Like I said I had an electric heater out there one time when really cold and seemed like it just did better.  Keeping it out of the weather
and cold wind likely helps as much as anything.

Thanks for the advice.

My Duramax's both 2008 have glow plugs, had to replace one in the 2500HD.  I have a block heater and in 4 NH winters I have never pluged in the block (water) heater. When below 0 I sometimes turn the key on twice, also the glow plug timer keeps heating the plug even after the dash light goes off, so I patiently wait for them to glow hot.

docj said:
Your C9 manual doesn't define "cold weather" so there is nothing inconsistent between it and the document I provided.  The devil is in the detail; at what temps do heaters become required rather than optional?  Unless your manual has additional definitions elsewhere I would have to assume that the CAT cold weather starting guide would be applicable.

You are correct. The Cat manual does let YOU decide what is cold rather than dictating a temperature.

My C9 manual does specifically contradict the Machines manual. For instance, it specifically discourages use of "airflow restriction devices" in front of radiators, where the Machines manual specifically recommends "cardboard" in front of the radiator.

Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom