Diesel or gas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for which diesel, Cat or Cummins? There are some big HP cats on the PPL site 455  :D

I prefer the Cummins, followed by CAT then I would accept a Detroit. Sorry to see that CAT is now out of the road engine business, but all I've had any dealings with were strong working engines.

These are just my preferences, and I'm sure other people have their preferences as well.

Lee

I know that there are tons of articles and posts about the diesel vs. gas thing...but here is my two-cents; I debated the gas and diesel question for several months and I was absolutely convinced that I needed a DP over a gas unit. When I began the task of doing the math the gasser won out over the DP, even though we live in the Western USA, and will be towing a Jeep Wrangler. We purchased a 2010 Fleetwood Bounder (gasser) 33U last October. I've yet to drive it anywhere of any consequence yet, my longest trip being from Las Vegas to Pahrump, the back way (past the Test Site), which is a mere 90 miles each way.

We will only be using the coach for about 6-8 weeks a year for the next five to seven years. When I find one of those 6% grades that are common in the Western USA, I'll just use patience and persevere over the grade and down again (slowly). I don't need to travel 55 mph plus over steep grades...it would be nice but for me it wasn't a necessity.

The cost versus use analysis did not warrant me spending the additional money for a DP...I have 362 peak HP with just enough torque to get the job done...although I wouldn't even try one of those 16% grades...I am sure we'll do fine on most of the roads in the Western USA with our gasser.

Mopar1973Man said:
We've got a few steeper roads but not much...
http://i53.tinypic.com/ne9jq9.jpg
I have never seen a road that steep other than maybe a few gravel forest service roads. I think I would be a little afraid to even try that with my trailer in tow. Just a little chicken I guess. LOL?..For sure, Diesel territory.

I agree with the diesel prognosis in the mountainous parts of the country!

While driving along in Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Montana and Wyoming a long with other RV traffic, you can spot the biggest difference for me as soon as you hit some of the 3 or more mile hills, the gas RV's begin to slow, and all the diesel rigs move out and overtake.

Coming up from Southern Utah in the company of a couple or three RV's, two Gas class C's and a Gas Fred A, as we hit the mountains South of Cedar City, I was held in traffic as they started to slow, once the next lane was clear, I was able to move out and roll past them on the up grade... by the time we crested out they were not in sight behind us. In a 20 minute stop at Cove Fort, they caught up, then passed us, and we soon passed them all again North of the fuel stop.

I don't think they stopped anywhere on that bottom end of the 300 miles from St George to Salt Lake City, but I gained a significant lead on the longer hills. Cruiseability means a less stressful drive, and a less stressful drive means an easier day, and an easier day for me means a less stressful day for the family, etc!

i was in a rest stop last year and this Big rig pulled in beside us,made us look tiny....we got to talking and MPG's came up and i said we get 8-9 out of ours i bet your diesel does really good........he smiled and said.......how does 6 sound.......i was stunned.......it was a new coach ...he reckoned the emissions controls on the engine has strangled it.........

and don't forget its not just the cost of diesel anymore....its a tank of blue stuff as well.....

keith g said:
i was in a rest stop last year and this Big rig pulled in beside us,made us look tiny....we got to talking and MPG's came up and i said we get 8-9 out of ours i bet your diesel does really good........he smiled and said.......how does 6 sound.......i was stunned.......it was a new coach ...he reckoned the emissions controls on the engine has strangled it.........

and don't forget its not just the cost of diesel anymore....its a tank of blue stuff as well.....
It's also the way than one drives........ ;). I different driver in that rig (that was stated @ 6MPG) could well get 7-8MPG with a different driver. Those things love going down the road @ 70MPH but it will cost ya...

I was going down the Hwy 5 toward Sandy Eggo last week doing 75 (in my car)....... one of these big 40' DPs passed me like I was standing still. All I could think was, "I'm glad I'm not paying his fuel bill"

keith g said:

He was probably carrying a LOT more weight, too. My Patriot weighed at over 42,000 lbs empty. Mileage and climbing performance aren't all that super, even with a 525 HP CAT diesel. I'm in the 6 mpg range, as well, at 60-65 mph, maybe another half at 55 (or not), but it doesn't hit 6th gear until 60 mph. Of course against the wind...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom