Dilemma about which Make to Choose!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

campercouple

I thought I finally decided to buy a Forest River MiniLite 2502S, the "Perfect Couples Coach". Well lo and behold, I did a search on PissedConsumers.Com and Forest River had 147 complaints against its company!  So I researched other options and went to go look at the Jayco 24RBS at our local RV dealer today.  I thought they were constructed better than the Forest River. I also think that the KZ Spree 262RKS is in the running.  From what I've read on the internet, the Jayco and the KZ are better constructed than the Forest River minilite. I kind of like all the windows and the LED lighting in the Forest River and from what I've read, their construction and the materials that they use aren't as good as the Jayco and the KZ. Does anyone have any insight into my dilemma? Suggestions and opinions are appreciated! This is a major decision that we're going to be making.  Our tow vehicle will be a 2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6 liter gas. Thanks in advance for any input you'll be sharing.

I'm betting any manufacturer you "research" online will have some unsatisfied customers.  Generally you should choose an RV for the following reasons, to fit your needs and wants:

Type of RV
Budget
Floorplan
Future Plan (keep, sell, trade, etc.)

Of course there are other aspects of RV ownership that will be unique to your situation.  As far as building materials, most RV's are built pretty much the same these days unless you get into the high end metal-framed models with more custom features.  But I would not be too swayed by some online bloggers on a website that may not even exist anymore in a few years.

For every manufacturer you will find many comments both positive and negative. When you consider the sheer number of RV's Forest River produces, there will be some with issues. MY bet is I can find you as many negative Jayco owners as Forest River or the next manufacturer...its the old Ford vs GM vs Dodge argument....anf throw in Toyota, Honda or anyone else you want in there....and when you read negative comments you look at things diferently and start picking out flaws that may not really be any more of a flaw than the next guy. As scottydl mentioned......focus on the floorplan that appeals to you within your budget and your plans for it.

Rick

It appears to me that the number of people complaining about any particular manufacturer is more a function of their sales volume than their quality level. The manufacturer who produces the most units will produce the most lemons.

Speaking as a retired Director of Quality Assurance in the medical device industry, I don't believe that anybody in the RV industry has a real, and effective quality assurance system.

Joel

I don't believe that anybody in the RV industry has a real, and effective quality assurance system.

Ain't that the truth! They are hand-built to continually changing designs that have a wide variety of options, using commodity components on an assembly line that has to keep on moving. Hardly surprising that something on the order of 10-15% (just a guestimate) of the units built have lengthy lists of issues. The good news is that another 10-15% seem to be almost trouble free, with all the rest falling somewhere in-between.

The K-Z models I have looked at seem impressive, but I don't have any ownership experience with them.

Great Horned Owl said:
Speaking as a retired Director of Quality Assurance in the medical device industry, I don't believe that anybody in the RV industry has a real, and effective quality assurance system.
Joel

And why should they? Don't know what it is about RV owners, but they mostly accept poor quality and workmanship with a shrug. Go figure.

As an owner of a NEW TO US 2010 KZ Durango 5th. wheel, I'm impressed with the quality put into these units.  Could they be better built?  Yes, every manufacturer could do a lot, but then you have the increased cost of production that increases the retail price and most people will balk at. 

We toured the KZ factory last fall and seen a lot of quality designed into the units.  In meeting with 14 others owners and the management of KZ we expressed our views, what we though needed to be changed and what we would like to see in these units. Some of the comments were put into effect the following Monday, others were directed to to the correct channel. Several of these have been put into place since that time. The rest, I been told that there is some cost/benefit issues, but may
be offered as options.  A couple due to contracts with suppliers the factory simply can't do.

I can tell you that if your dealer cannot or won't fix a problem the factory can and will.  A couple of their service department
people came out to the camp grounds on a Friday afternoon and worked on several small problems right there and several others were scheduled into their service department the following Monday.

We are only about 3 to 4 hours from the factory, but, we met people from Florida, Louisiana, and New York that over the years have drove to Ind. to have for factory service.  Yes, while the dealer should be the first line of service, if that fails it is nice to know the company can take care of you.

As far a comments on quality, most (90% +) RV's are used for weekenders and may be used for a total of 30 days out of the years and maybe pulled 4-5000 miles per year, if at all.  Most manufacturers build to the biggest section of the market and the Buyers are price sensitive.  So it is a balance between price and quality. 

KZ is the 3rd largest builder of Towable RV's.  Will I buy another KZ?  YES!!

This is just one man's opinion and worth what it costs you. But here goes.

I have purchased, and we have been happy using 5 different RV's since early 1960. As long as I can remember I have read and listened to various persons tell me what they think about the ones we have, mostly without they knowing what brand we already own. I have heard that we had/have the best and the worst and everything in between, based on others' opinion.

Our actual experience has and is that we have always selected our RV according to the floor plan, the way it seems to be for quality and affordable price, how we intended to use it, and we recognized that we would be responsible for maintenence once we took delivery. We have never been sorry that we bought any of the 5 RV's.

Over the years we have upgraded, from time to time as we desired. But if we were to start again we would do just what we did at the times,

Use your own judgement when considering the purchase of an RV, as with anything else. Research, examine, discuss it, remember that everyone else has different requirments and experiences so listen and read but make the final decision on your own judgement.

The other respondents are absolutely correct...  Most satisfied customers don't take the time to write reviews.  I am one that also researches reviews but only to see if there is a common theme (especially when it comes to campgrounds).  Price point is a good indication of where the unit falls in the overall quality spectrum.  One other thing you should also take into consideration is dealership service.  I for sure would not buy another unit from our last dealership...regardless of the manufacturer.

Guaranteed you'll find both positive and negative reviews on any brand, including those that are supposedly the best.  It really all depends on the floor plan and then a very, very, VERY thorough inspection.  The floor plan is what you've pretty much got to live with and the inspection will let you see how well or badly it's built and what may be wrong with it.  Do this with the slides out and with them in, making certain they go in and out correctly.  Make certain EVERYTHING works and there's no water leaks.  DO NOT trust a sales person who claims the dealership 'thoroughly' inspects every unit.  No matter how thorough you are, there will always be the odd thing that you won't find until you've tried living in it for a few weeks.  With any luck, this won't be anything major.

A lot of stuff crops up in the first few months of ownership too.  We had one issue only with our new Palomino (forest river)....and it didn't show up until 3 months after we bought it.  Wiring short was causing furnace to pop fuses.  Dealer fixed it (second try, but they fixed it) and other than that, it's been flawless. 

Consider this....an RV is basically a house on wheels, and thus could be likened to a home that is subjected to repeated earthquakes for years on end....and yet somehow functions at a hopefully acceptable level.  Issues sort of come with the territory, regardless of who is filling the box with appliances and furniture.

I don't believe that anybody in the RV industry has a real, and effective quality assurance system.
Back in the late 1960s (1967 I think) my father bought a new Aristocrat Land Commander travel trailer from a local dealer.

A year or so later, we were driving through Morgan Hill, CA (south of San Jose) and a passing motorist motioned for us to pull over and stop.  He introduced himself as Irv Perch, the owner of Aristocrat Industries.  He said he noticed a poorly fitted piece of siding on the front of our trailer (we hadn't) and since we were only a couple of miles from the factory, would we follow him there and let them fix it?

When we got there, he had us park the trailer outside the final assembly building, then went inside and returned with a couple of assembly line workers.  He pointed out the mistake on our trailer and said he expected them to fix it and have us on our way before lunch.

They wound up removing about 1/3 of the overlapping siding, replaced the blemished piece, then put it all back together.

I'll bet they never made that mistake again!

We're new to trailers, so take my comments with a grain of salt. 

We looked around at many makes of ultra-light trailers.  Went to several RV shows to see the trailers in person.  The one make that stood out with notably better workmanship was the Lance*.  Next was Jayco (IIRC).  The Lance is more expensive, but we decided it would probably be worth it in terms of fewer issues and keeping its value longer, so that what we bought.  We're on our third trip - longest trip was this past week.  Our short list of "fixit" items is all minimal, cosmetic stuff. 

*I didn't include Airstream in this comparison.  They are beautifully crafted, but horribly expen$$$$ive!

If you are going to RV, I hope you are somewhat handy to fix numerous minor issues: drawer tracks, adjusting catches, caulking, gluing, minor wiring  tasks, etc. You also need to carry a variety of tools and patience. Others RVers will help you. As my cousin says, "fix, replace, modify are just called adventures in RVing."

I'm late to the party here, but I have a couple of comments.

The first is that I'm amazed at the number of places on RVs that have sharp corners where aluminum corners are left sharp to the point they constitute a real safety concern for people and pets. It wouldn't take long to hit those corners with a small grinder to round them to reduce the danger. I cringe at the thought of cuts these corners could inflict.

I went to a show on a rainy day and was amazed by the number of brand-new units that had water leaks. When I mentioned it to the sales guy, he said, "Not a problem. We'll fix it." Really!? You'll fix it? Why not teach your designers that water is a viscous liquid that runs downhill under the force of gravity?

Another one: Ok, the kitchen, bath and bedroom are real nice. Now where am I going to sit? After all, sitting is the one indoor activity we spend the most time doing. Is it not? And do you really expect me to watch TV with my head turned 90 degrees? On motor homes, do you  actually expect me to use the driving seats on a regular basis for sitting? Not gonna happen.

Built-in outdoor TVs and kitchens? If Americans go outside for the purpose of TV and eating, we are indeed doomed to a future of knee implants and diabetes.

Speaking of knee implants, one thing I begin to notice at RV shows after entering a dozen or so units is that some of the entry stairs are ridiculously steep with step heights that would wear out a twenty year old, let alone people of the age that actually buy RVs.

I've also found entry way grab handles that are unusable and refrigerator doors that ate too close to thermostats... your hand hits if you aren't careful. And thermostats placed where your shoulder is sure to eventually scrape them off the wall as you pass.

Think, think, think before buying. How will you use it in real life and will the unit last? Unfortunately, too many RV dealerships employ high pressure sales tactics that would make auto salesmen blush, distracting the customer from evaluating the unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom