Dimensions Inverter/Charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randyf

Looks like my Dimensions Inverter has failed again.  Just replaced with new one in 2010.  Last night I noticed the digital clock kept changing times.  I would reset it and a few minutes later it would be an hour or so off.  Two clocks, both doing the same thing.  Turned on a portable fan and it didn't sound right. Few minutes later all inverter power was off.  Checked all breakers and incoming power and all was fine.  I will bypass it later so I can operate but was wondering how much trouble it was to change over from a Dimensions to a different manufacturer. Seems I'm not having a lot of luck with Dimensions.  The thing that concerns me about switching is connection to the remote panel that is located over driver seat.  Be difficult to run a new cable through the coach I would imagine. Or are they pretty much all alike?  This is on a 2006 Allegro Bus. 

What sort of cable is it? Most use either a phone cable or a Lan cable for communication, so there is a chance a different brand could use the same cable. Unfortunately, the two types look alike to most people.

Dimensions has had a lot of quality problems, so changing to Magnum or even Xantrex is probably wise, even at the cost of a new remote.

Here's a link to a "typical" Dimensions Owner's Manual that's equipped with the battery charger (800 watts or higher model). 

http://dimensions.sensata.com/Manuals/122000.pdf

When outfitted with the charger, the Dimensions has a transfer relay to switch from inverter to shore power.  Any replacement inverter would need some sort of transfer relay (internal or external).  The control panel is feed by a 8-conductor flat cable.  A replacement inverter would need 8 or fewer wires going to the control panel.  Some creative rewiring may be needed to make it all work.

Fran

This one has an eight conductor flat cable.  When I came in the next evening from work everything was fine again.  So I went into the inverter and re-did all the electrical connections.  Removed all wire nuts and made sure all had good connections and taped them up good.  But since then it dropped out for a few seconds one time and back on again.  Hasn't dropped out again in last two days.  Thinking I may have a ground connection problem some place.  Just not sure where. 

If thats the 2kw Dimensions, I replaced mine last year (but working) and you will have to replace the connectors, you can use the same wires. IIRC it's a standard RJ-11 phone jack, but the difference between the Dimensions and Magnum is that one needs the plug flipped.

Back
Top Bottom