Dinghy or Dolly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First thing I learned when considering this topic about towable cars was this: if the cars manual does not say that it is 4 wheels down towable, IT'S NOT!  We bought a used Honda CRV and besides being very easy to set up to tow it's been a very good car.
Happy travels, Steve

Bill N said:
I think the question has been answered for us.  In the past week, I have bought a Blue Ox tow bar, a Patriot Brake System (arrived damaged and is out for repair) and, yesterday, we bought a 2013 Chevy Sonic to be our Toad.  Now to get the base plate, wiring and fuse switch and we should finally be done.  Not cheap by any means but did save a lot of money by looking over the internet, Amazon and Craigslist for good buys.  We initially decided to wait a year but reversed that decision when we made our travel plans for the summer and fall.  The majority of opinion on the forums was to go the dinghy route and forget about the dollys.  Hopefully we went the right way but we feel we did but the output of large chunks of cash over the past few weeks was making us nervous.  Now to get the Sonic ready for towing and give it a try around the area.  Thanks to all who helped us make the decision.

Hi Ho:  good choice.  When we bought our new 2000 Itasca Suncruiser a friend offered us a tow dolly for free.  We said "no thanks".  Best decision we have made.

Doesn't having 2 rods sticking out of your front bumper destroy the 5 mph requirement of the front bumper? How can states give out a safety inspection sticker with 2 brackets sticking out the front of a car?

Actually John, the brackets are removable but there are still two small protrusions for hookup of the safety chains.

Back
Top Bottom