Direct TV - dealing with CSR each time I change locations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George Hawkins

I've searched the myriad of posting dealing with Direct TV but have not seen one relating to my questions. Bare with me if I missed it. My problem is, each time I move out of the range of the satellite servicing a particular area I have to call Direct TV and tell them I have moved. I'm either dealing with a Customer Service Representative (CSR) who's accent is so strong it makes it almost impossible for me to understand them and or I cannot make myself clear to them. Eventually I make it clear that I only need to update my current address with them (which I have to make up something locally). When they ask and I tell them that my equipment is already "moved and installed" it seems to make their whole universe grind to a halt..."WHAAAT? it's already moved? Who moved it?" etc.etc. I had one CSR tell me that had to come out and verify every thing is set up properly. I hung up and called back and got another CSR. I know Direct TV isn't happy dealing with RV'rs and their constant moving but I'm growing increasingly tired of having to reinvent the wheel, as it were, each time I relocate outside that particular satellite service area to get the new satellite reception. Don't get me wrong when they enter this "new" address I get reception within a few minutes. But I travel all around the country with no particular destination in mind so I'm changing me "address" frequently. I spoke with an RV'er who uses DISH and he says he has an app on his phone. He just enters his new zip code each time he moves and "somehow" it's tied to his DISH receiver. Sounds great except I cannot find any kind of app for Direct TV.
    SO....how do all you Direct TV owners out there do this? How do you get your local channels when you move. It CAN'T be this difficult for everyone who uses Direct TV. I'm missing something....

You have my sympathy. Direct is owned by AT&T, it won't get any better. I am really happy with Dish. Like the other RVer said we use an app on our phones.  Don't even need to know the zip, it uses the phone's location.

You can get an account for DNS, which instead of local, gives you network feeds from east and west coast, you have to provide a copy of RV registration to qualify.  Eliminates the CSR issue once you get it.  I think it is about $20/ month extra.

We changed locals last week by using the "chat" feature, after trying to change locals by talking to a CSR who failed twice.

I just seen about 45 minutes of unproductive time trying to explain what DNS is to the cost service rep on the phone.  I finally hung up after going on silent hold after asking for a supervisor.  I'll try again later, during the week and normal business hours.

We to have the same issues. The last tech said that DirecTV was doing away with changing local addresses. We are in the process of switching to Dish. The next time you call for a change of address please ask the person on the other end if changing local addresses is coming to an end. Even if it isn't we are switching - it is becoming harder and harder to change addresses as you indicate.

You can get an account for DNS, which instead of local, gives you network feeds from east and west coast, you have to provide a copy of RV registration to qualify.  Eliminates the CSR issue once you get it.

DNS gets you network stations without hassle, but if you have a desire for the locals, e.g. for local news and weather, you still need to update your service address.
You need to have a mobile account to get DNS service without jumping through incredible hoops (thus the RV registration info).

If you have DirecTV at home, you don't need a receiver on the road. I have downloaded their app to my phone and can watch anything that is recorded on my DVR or is being broadcast live. I then mirror what is on my phone to my Apple TV that is hooked up to my 40" TV in the coach and have complete control over what is being watched. Since my phone is on AT&T, all streaming of DirecTV onto the phone is free and doesn't use up my cell data.

The only time I can't watch television in this way is when I don't have cell service or wi-fi capability. When I am in an area that has neither, then I pull out the Dish satellite receiver and call them to activate.

DISH has never been difficult when I used to call them to change locals, and I often did it daily if I was headed somewhere on a longer trip.  They were polite and knew what to do and it worked!  Now, with the new phone app, I just turn on my TV, hit the menu button twice, and enter the 8 digit number into the phone app.  Changes my locals very easily.

This issue with locals is a big reason I got DISH instead of DIRECT TV.  Also, DISH does not require a contract, so you can cancel them at any time.

John SteStevens said:
"When I am in an area that has neither, then I pull out the Dish satellite receiver and call them to activate."
John do you use mental telepathy?  Can you explain how you call them without phone or WiFi service.

ChasA said:
John SteStevens said:
"When I am in an area that has neither, then I pull out the Dish satellite receiver and call them to activate."
John do you use mental telepathy?  Can you explain how you call them without phone or WiFi service.

Sorry that I misstated something and have to explain what should have been obvious. When I am headed to an area that has no cell service, I will call in advance - before I get there - and order the service. If you're smart, you'll plan your trip out in advance and know when you're going to need the service. If you go to an area that has no service and you haven't planned ahead for it, then you're going to be stuck without television unless you want to resort to taking DVDs with you.

A good example: this year, we're headed to the Grand Tetons and will stay in Gros Ventre which campground has no service of any kind. I will call Dish before I get there and have the service activated. My apologies for not stating it correctly the first time and taking the chance of misleading those who are unable to read into what is written without taking it literally.  The last time I checked, I have ESPN but not ESP.

what is the name of the Dish app for the smart phone that makes changing the locals easy? I would like to download and install it.

When we travel we don't change our area on directv, we just use the local channels on over the air tv. All the other directv channels work just fine, just not our home channels. And when we get home or stay within about 200 miles from home, we still have all our normal channels ready to go without dealing with directv ever.

We, too, don't change service address. But we're not out there 6 months at a time, and we have DVRs at home to catch certain programs we might otherwise miss, so locals on the road (beyond Colorado) are over the air, but everything else works fine. Full or long timers, of course, will have different needs.

The app is MYDISH on android.  I don't know about Apple.
[/quote]

Looks like my iphone has something different. I need a password that I am not sure I have, to download any of them. The "professional" computer shop managed to lose all of my passwords as well as everything else. Should have fixed it myself.

Thanks for the information.

JudyJB said:
DISH has never been difficult when I used to call them to change locals, and I often did it daily if I was headed somewhere on a longer trip.  They were polite and knew what to do and it worked!  Now, with the new phone app,button twice, a the 8 digit nd enternumber into the phone app.  Changes my locals very easily.
I just turn on my TV, hit the menu
This issue with locals is a big reason I got DISH instead of DIRECT TV.  Also, DISH does not require a contract, so you can cancel them at any time.

Which 8 digit number are you referring to>>>D

Back
Top Bottom