Direct TV, dome satelite or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanc

Hi everyone.  Okay, we just bought a 38 ft Cardinal and its going to be delivered next week.  We are going to be full timing. (can't wait). We ordered it to be prepped for satelite but are not sure which way to go. Originally we decided we wanted to have the satelite with the dome over it installed but we are wondering about the reception.  If any of you have one of these please let us know what you think.  We have read they are great, but then read that the reception won't be as good. Of course that's written by the sellers of the other type of satelite dish. What do you think?  Thanks

The dome systems work, but are more susceptible to rain fade than the full size dishes because they are smaller.  Also, if you're going to want to get HD programming, the dome antennas can only see one satellite at a time, where the larger automatic antennas can see up to 5 satellites at once.

The one advantage a dome system has it they can be had in in-motion models, if that's important to you.

On the other hand, domes aren't affected by wind and won't get blown off the roof when driving down the road like an internet dish was known to do. :D

First, Understand I have a dome, A very good dome (Motosat T-2 Automotion DP)

Now, My advice is this..

If you need IN-MOTION operation, the ability to,for example, record the wife's soaps while you drive the rig down the road to the next campground... THEN you basically have one choice,, a DOME. and one choice of service DirecTV standard

If you want Dish Network the dome can see one satellite at a time, Some domes can re-point quickly (some can't) and thus will work with a SINGLE dishnetwork receiver, both "Standard" and "High Def". however if you have a multiple input DVR or multiple receivers.... You can only watch one satellite at a time.

If you want DirecTV HD.. Domes are NOT an option

Dish type antennas have greater gain (at least 3db greater, often more) and better bad rain/snow performance

They are, however, as Ned pointed out, more likely to be damaged by a high wind.

My dome has been hit with 100MPH winds... I've had dishes up in some serious winds too but they were tripod mounts.

No matter what you put on the roof..  in the line to the receiver put a cheap manual A/B switch, it can be high isolation or standard (don't matter since the unused line will have no signal on it) but just a cheap switch, one per input.

The common lead goes to the receiver LNB input.. The "A" lead goes to the roof up (A)bove, and the "B" lead goes to a connection located down (B)elow, either a through wall (Bulkhead) fitting or a ground block in the basement (Mine is under the hood on my gasser, up on the mounting brackets for the brake master cylinder, easy to connect to and out of the weather)

That way if you are parked under the famous evil signal eating tree...... You switch to "B" and use the ground mount.

If you will be in the middle to lower latitude states, it's hard to beat a dome.  The farther north you go, the lower the look-angle is and the signal isn't quite as strong.  Like Ned says, due to the very small antenna size, domes are somewhat to very sensitive to dew and rain depending on where you are located.  My brother-in-law recently removed his in-motion King Dome and replaced it with a five LNB Motosat (for HD) and he is quite happy.  He gladly traded in-motion for HD capability.

I have an in-motion King Dome and like it, but we aren't very far north most of the time.

So - your pick depending on your future plans and your budget....

My KVH Tracvision dome worked fine in Maine last summer on Directv. However, my neighbor had trouble with Dish (which is at a lower elevation angle) and had to revert to a tripod mounted dish. It was set nearly parallel to the ground!

I had an older KVH SF dome that was rather sensitive to dew & rain but I upgraded to an R4SL last year and the new one performs much more reliably. It takes a significant rainfall to interfere.

The added bandwidth required for HD programing is forcing satellite companies to redesign their systems and the days of single satellite systems are coming to an end. I would get a system that can handle at least three satellites and two receivers. 

When we ordered our current motorhome we specified a regular dish.  When we went to pick it up there was a dome because they were having a problem with whoever supplied the regular dishes.  We agreed to give the dome a try and, if we didn't like it, then it would be changed at the next rally.  Went to the coast and every morning Jerry had to go up on the WET roof to wipe the fog drizzle off the darned thing.  If you like going up on a wet roof to clean it off, then get a dome, but if you're averse to doing such things then get a regular dish.  That dome was changed at the next rally and we do not want another dome.

By the way, bad weather can also affect regular dishes because of "raindrop attenuation" which messes up the signal so you get a pixelated picture on the screen.  We got snow last night and lost our satellite reception because Jerry wasn't going up on the house roof to clear it off.  That's why you also want a through-the-air antenna so you can get local stations if you lose your satellite stations.  Last night Jerry switched to the other antenna and we watched local TV.

ArdraF

Our coach came with a king-dome satellite dish and we use Direct TV.  We've used it all over the country and even fairly far north into Canada.  We've not had any problem with rain fade and only had a couple of times where the signal "pixelated".

We do carry a portable dish on a tripod so that if we get parked under trees or are further north than the dome can handle, we've got that as a back up.

Marsha~

RV Roamer said:
My KVH receives two DTV satellites and switches automatically  between them as needed.

Yes, but it has to repoint.  It can't get both at the same time to take advantage of the 2 tuners on the DirecTV DVR receivers.

Marsha/CA said:
Our coach came with a king-dome satellite dish and we use Direct TV.  We've used it all over the country and even fairly far north into Canada.  We've not had any problem with rain fade and only had a couple of times where the signal "pixelated".

We do carry a portable dish on a tripod so that if we get parked under trees or are further north than the dome can handle, we've got that as a back up.
On our way to Alaska, ours was unreliable around the Canadian border (Montana), but there are several variables at play here, i.e., the quality/kind of the coax, fittings, equipment, etc. We also carry a portable dish and I was able to get that working in the Banff area.  A 24" open dish Motosat dish will work in SE Alaska - I think it was Russ that has one on his Country Coach and I was amazed his worked.

Since we went to Alaska, I added an 18" open dish Motosat for the back TV, so I have an alternate to the King Dome without having to break out the tripod (which I hate doing.)

Never had a dome and at one time we considered it.  Howerver, based on what others told me about the loss of signal with a dome with any moisture such as rain, even high humidity we elected to forgo the dome idea.  Our satellite TV has been affected by heavy rain but never by dew.  My recomendation would be against a dome.

We've had a tri-pod, an automatic rooftop, and a dome.  I'll take the dome every time.  They've fixed the rain fade problem.  We've been coast to coast and border to border in all kinds of weather and have never lost signal.  Until the other day.  But there than was 3 inches of snow on the dome.  We have an 18" dome with Direct Tv.

We have in motion, but if I were to get a new dome, I wouldn't get it.  We don't use it enough to justify the cost.  If you get a dome, get the larger one. 18"  And make sure they throw in a couple of wipes for the rain fade problem.  They work very well, and are suppose to last about 6 months. 

If your buying used, the dome has to be 2004 or newer.  Anything older than that cannot be upgraded to work with a DVR.  If the cost is a factor....And to upgrade, don't forget to add to you monthly bill, the cost of HD programming.

Currently in Snow Covered Pahrump,Nv

Barb

Back
Top Bottom