Direct TV will end SD broadcasts in 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I modified a $25 roof mount tripod with about $15 in hardware store parts so each leg has about a 6" adjustment range. It's only very rarely that I've needed to stick a board or two under a leg to get it within range of the leveler. I also swapped out the hex bolts at the top for the center post with large thumb screws, for a no tools setup. Depending on the ground material and how long we'll be there, I either use two awning tie downs to anchor the tripod or a partially filled 5-gallon bucket of water.

Attachments

• 0831131326.jpg
    0831131326.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2015-02-27 16.48.04.jpg
    2015-02-27 16.48.04.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 36
[quote author=NY_Dutch]A basic rule for setting up any multiple satellite dish is that the post the dish is mounted on must be perfectly plumb.[/quote]

Right on!

Ugh... trying to set up my Direct TV today did it last week fine, giving me fits.... the satellite signal strength does those 0 usually they are fast.. today it is really  slowwwww... anyone have that problem

The DirecTV SD satellite will be crashing into the ocean at some point. A few months ago it developed a bad wobble. And they used up almost all the fuel on board to correct it. There is very little fuel left for another wobble correction. I'm surprised they are saying it will be operating until 2019. I was under the impression they were going to shut it down much sooner.

They didn't guarantee it would be there until 2019, just that SD service would end "by 2019". Some markets have already been dropped, and the process will continue until there are none left. Over the next year or tow, RVers will find an increasing number of places where they cannot get local channels in SD.

I hope that everyone reading this thread understands that all of this is speculation based on one blog post that went online in April 2016: http://blog.solidsignal.com/content.php/5483-THE-END-IS-COMING-DIRECTV-announces-end-of-SD-service

AFAIK there has been no official statement about this from DirecTV and all the discussion threads you find online on many, many forums go back to this one post.

I'm not saying that the April post is incorrect, other than to point out that all it says that MPEG-2 SD broadcasts will cease in 2019 which is different from saying that all SD will disappear; MPEG-4 SD could still continue. 

I'm not disputing the fact that the 101 satellite is running out of fuel and the ones at 110 and 119 are also aging.  But the speculation about what DirecTV will actually do about it is just that--speculation.

So.... are many rv's changing to Dish??? I have that option and wondering if the Dish is used by a lot of you.. If not right thread let me know. I either have to doctor up my existing sat. Setup, buy tailgater, or switch to Dish.... Thanks.

The other option is a HD dish such as the Winegard Trav'ler.

tanglemoose said:
So.... are many rv's changing to Dish??? I have that option and wondering if the Dish is used by a lot of you.. If not right thread let me know. I either have to doctor up my existing sat. Setup, buy tailgater, or switch to Dish.... Thanks.

We didn't switch to Dish as we've had their service since we first added sat service to our RV, but we've been very satisfied with the service, equipment, and available programming. Oh, and the Taiilgater only works with select Dish receivers, not DTV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom