Dish - RV-style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tulecreeper

OK, I've had Dish Network for a long time for both TV and internet. My TV dish is connected to a V211K(?) HD receiver on my entertainment center, and that is plugged into my TV. I own the receiver. My internet dish is connected to a modem and router, and those are connected to my PC. I've read that some of you have a "Wally" receiver in your RV. What is that? Can't I just take my HD receiver from my house and use it in my RV?

I went with the Wally route when I purchased the DISH Outdoors package. I've had it for 5 years .. and with an average of 5 trips per year that means I've had 25 chances to get frustrated with DISH Outdoors. For some reason I can't get my system to work without calling DISH Support, and on busy times (like football season .. the reason I got DISH) the wait times are long.

I'd like to follow this thread .. I hope to learn something.

My understanding is that your V211 receiver will work just fine in your RV. It will require an appropriate "antenna," such as a Tailgater, Playmaker, tripod- or roof-mount dish.
I echo @thelazyl's frustration about having to call Dish Support every time we move. I have heard that the App can make reconnecting easier.
We're about to "ditch the Dish" both at home and on the road. OTA and streaming fulfill our needs just fine, and at far less cost.

My understanding is that your V211 receiver will work just fine in your RV. It will require an appropriate "antenna," such as a Tailgater, Playmaker, tripod- or roof-mount dish.
I echo @thelazyl's frustration about having to call Dish Support every time we move. I have heard that the App can make reconnecting easier.
We're about to "ditch the Dish" both at home and on the road. OTA and streaming fulfill our needs just fine, and at far less cost.
I have a V211 receiver with the Tailgater antenna. If you want to watch local network channels then, yes, you have to call or use the app (takes all of 3 minutes after you're setup) to change your location. If you don't care about local networks and watch only stuff like Discovery, TLC, Motor Trend and such, you don't have to change your location every time. I watch the networks hardly at all, so the only time I need to use the app is when I am going to be set up for more than a couple of days.

... having to call Dish Support every time we move. I have heard that the App can make reconnecting easier.
As Old_Crow mentioned, the Dish App makes changing local channels very easy-- without having to call their support. I'll admit that when I first started using the App I never was able to get the locals and blamed it on Dish. Eventually realized that it was user error [GASP!]

Just open the App, go to Services, "Manage Locals" and let it find you, then... the step I didn't follow through with... go to the next screen and enter your receiver's ID. Done.

It usually updates locals pretty quickly but sometimes doesn't update the guide for the locals beyond the first hour or two. You see "No information" for any programs beyond a point the Guide. When that happens, you can force a Guide download in the settings. That takes a bit of time but almost always works.

As Old_Crow mentioned, the Dish App makes changing local channels very easy-- without having to call their support. I'll admit that when I first started using the App I never was able to get the locals and blamed it on Dish. Eventually realized that it was user error [GASP!]

Just open the App, go to Services, "Manage Locals" and let it find you, then... the step I didn't follow through with... go to the next screen and enter your receiver's ID. Done.

It usually updates locals pretty quickly but sometimes doesn't update the guide for the locals beyond the first hour or two. You see "No information" for any programs beyond a point the Guide. When that happens, you can force a Guide download in the settings. That takes a bit of time but almost always works.
Our Dish Guide on our home system gives us the "No Information Available" from time to time for no apparent reason, maybe once ever few months. It isn't on all the channels, only those above a certain number. I have to unplug the receiver, wait a minute, then plug it in again and let it reboot for about 10 minutes to get everything back. The Dish people have no clue why it does that.

Power requirements: RVs typically operate on 12-volt DC power systems, while home-based receivers are designed for 120-volt AC power. You would need a power inverter or an alternate power source to provide the necessary voltage for the receiver.

Satellite dish compatibility: The Wally receiver is compatible with most portable satellite dishes commonly used in RVs, such as the Winegard and King models. These portable dishes are designed to be easily set up and aligned for optimal satellite signal reception while on the move.

I read your issue of dish you can buy sattlelite finder if the reciever is fixed or check settings v h options in your sattlelite

Power requirements: RVs typically operate on 12-volt DC power systems, while home-based receivers are designed for 120-volt AC power. You would need a power inverter or an alternate power source to provide the necessary voltage for the receiver.

Satellite dish compatibility: The Wally receiver is compatible with most portable satellite dishes commonly used in RVs, such as the Winegard and King models. These portable dishes are designed to be easily set up and aligned for optimal satellite signal reception while on the move.
Nearly all RV's are equipped to use 120 VAC service from either onboard or shorepower sources. Most of us have 120 VAC appliances onboard such as microwave ovens, TV's, etc., and power sources such as onboard generators, roof top solar, multiple battery supplied inverters, and of course shorepower when available.

The portable self aiming "dome" antennas are restricted to the Wally and certain VIP series receivers, but do not work with the more functional Hopper series DVD receivers. The roof top mounted multi-satellite Winegard Trav'ler self aiming dish and portable tripod mounted manually aimed multi-satellite dishes do work well with Hopper series receivers though. Setting up a manually aimed dish is something of a "learned skill", but with a bit of practice and the right tools can usually be done in ~15 minutes. One advantage of the manually aimed dish is the ability to locate it where the best satellite view is available at your current location.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom